WTB: Athlon 1400+ CPU

Old November 23rd 05, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

Default WTB: Athlon 1400+ CPU

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:17:25 -0800, VaVoom wrote:

Wes Newell wrote:

You'll find idiots quoting the Asus website,

You're the guy that recently told us "Personally, I use Dot 3 brake fluid"
to lube fan bearings.

Brake fluid embrittles many plastics. Maybe you keep a scatter shield
around your fans to contain flying blades?

Yeah, but I don't coat the friggin blades with it.:-)
I'm also the guy that is now using 30 year old wheel bearing grease as a
thermal compound on my A64 machine.
I'm also the guy that went ahead and put an Athlon XP in the first
generation Socket A MB (KT7-Raid, with KT133 chipset) even though Abit and
everyone else said it wouldn't work. I knew they were full of crap then,
and things haven't changed.
I'm also the guy that clocked the system clock to 233MHz on first
generation A64 MB's when all the so called experts said it couldn't be
done. That took all of about 1 minute.

To be honest, I can't remember how many times a company has
told me this or that couldn't be done only to prove them wrong. And I mean
their own product. And I garauntee you I can put any socket A CPU into the
A7V133 MB (KT133A chipset) and make it work. And the same thing can be
done with the original A7V (KT133 chipset).

Old November 23rd 05, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:05:32 -0700, Adiabatic wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:21:41 -0600, Paul wrote:

I'm looking to get a little more performance out of an older system. I'm
looking to buy an AMD Athlon 1400 - A1400AMS3C. Are there good places to
buy something like this? I see a couple on eBay, but was wondering if
there were other options. Thank you.

Paul

Don't listen to anyone's claims unless they themselves have actually done
it. I used to have the asus a7v 133 1.05 and I didn't try anything faster
than a 1400, so I can't tell you.

If you guys would just do a web search or two, you'll find people running
all kinds of cpu's in boards that are said not to support them. Here's
just a sample.

Results 1 - 10 of about 549 for a7v133 1.05 2400 - 0.26 sec.

Cainfoo 03-29-04 10:48 PM
2400+ on A7V133

Currently I have an A7V133 Rev 1.04, Actually its my wifes computer,
running a XP 2400+ thoroughbred B with no modifications at all.The only
thing I had to do was manually set the Vcore to 1.65 because the board in
auto was setting it at 1.5. The clock is currently set at 142 MHz@15 for a
processor speed of 2130. I am using the stock AMD cooling fan and it
reaches a max temp of 115 F running prime 95. Asus says it will only run
up to 2100 Palomino But so far I have run a Thunderbird 1.13 Gig. 266 FSB,
a 2100+ Palomino, a 2100+ Thoroughbred a, and now the 2400+ Thoroughbred
B. It is pretty funny, my wifes A7V133 is now running at a faster
processor speed than my A7V333 with a 2600+ Barton. But mine still out
performs it due to DDR ram and the additional L2 cache. But any way the
board has more capabitities than what Asus leads us to believe.

Just one more, with a Barton core...

tufter 05-18-2004 04:53 PM
Barton 2500+ works in Asus A7V 133

I have a mobile barton running at 2.6 Ghz in an A7V133 v1.04.
Fantastic chip - needs the wire trick with an A7V.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=279392

note: The wire trick he's talking about is setting the 5th (8x) multiplier
bit (pin AJ27) high. There's many ways to do this depending on ones needs.

Old November 23rd 05, 10:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
VaVoom

Wes Newell wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:05:32 -0700, Adiabatic wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:21:41 -0600, Paul wrote:

I'm looking to get a little more performance out of an older system. I'm
looking to buy an AMD Athlon 1400 - A1400AMS3C. Are there good places to
buy something like this? I see a couple on eBay, but was wondering if
there were other options. Thank you.

Paul

Don't listen to anyone's claims unless they themselves have actually done
it. I used to have the asus a7v 133 1.05 and I didn't try anything faster
than a 1400, so I can't tell you.

If you guys would just do a web search or two, you'll find people running
all kinds of cpu's in boards that are said not to support them. Here's
just a sample.

I did a search! I found this:
----
In my opinion this compatibility or incompatibility comes from the fact
that between Athlon and AthlonXP the specification for the processor bus
has been changed. As far as I know for AthlonXP so called "L-C-L"
Filters are needed, which are NOT implemented on older mainboards.
Without these filters it depends on how the production tolerances of
CPU, Chipset, Mainboard etc. affect each other. Either it does simply
not boot, it works unstably, or it works perfectly. Noone can tell you
if your combination will work - even if others have had success with a
certain combination, it might or might not work for you. So only try
using AthlonXPs on mainboards that are 100% fit for the purpose (see
tables and links below). If you want to try on a not officially
compatible board, than be prepared to run into trouble.
----
Don't forget the OP said "I don't want to buy something that may or may
not work or is going to be a hassle.
Old November 23rd 05, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
VaVoom

Wes Newell wrote:

You'll find idiots quoting the Asus website,

You're the guy that recently told us "Personally, I use Dot 3 brake fluid"
to lube fan bearings.

Brake fluid embrittles many plastics. Maybe you keep a scatter shield
around your fans to contain flying blades?

Yeah, but I don't coat the friggin blades with it.:-)

Silly. Brake fluid gets spilled, it migrates, droplets get flung when
parts spin at thousands of rpm...
Old November 24th 05, 04:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

Wes Newell wrote:

You'll find idiots quoting the Asus website,

You're the guy that recently told us "Personally, I use Dot 3 brake
fluid" to lube fan bearings.

Brake fluid embrittles many plastics. Maybe you keep a scatter shield
around your fans to contain flying blades?

Yeah, but I don't coat the friggin blades with it.:-)

Silly. Brake fluid gets spilled, it migrates, droplets get flung when
parts spin at thousands of rpm...

OK, let me put it this way then. I've been using it for years and have
never had anything break. I do of course only put in 1 samll drop, so it
doesn't get flung out either. At least not in any noticable amount. And if
it's so bad for plastic, why is it that the reservoirs for brake fluid on
almost all cars are made of plastic. I really kind of doubt that it has
any affect, other wise it wouldn't be used on what's considered the most
critical safety feature of the casr, the brakes.

Old November 24th 05, 05:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
VaVoom

Wes Newell wrote:

[...]

My black plastic fans, and the shrouds around them, are hard. I snipped
little bits off an old one with some aviation snips, and the chunks
cracked away and went zinging across the room.
My white plastic brake fluid reservoir appears to be more pliant, but I
haven't snipped away at it.
My guess is that there are *TWO* kinds of plastic. Maybe even more!

I worked at a Suzuki shop for a while. When front brake work was done on
a customer's bike, sometimes a little brake fluid would get spilled on a
plastic front fender. When that happened, the bike automatically got a
new fender.

Brake fluid lifts paint. Spill some on your car.
Spill some on your motherboard, spill some on the IDE cable sockets,
slop it around for years and then report back to us.
Old November 24th 05, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:51:00 -0800, VaVoom wrote:

My guess is that there are *TWO* kinds of plastic. Maybe even more!

Try thousands. Probably rated by it's hardnest. Any serious fisherman has
probably made their on plastic worms on the kitchen stove. I have.

I worked at a Suzuki shop for a while. When front brake work was done on
a customer's bike, sometimes a little brake fluid would get spilled on a
plastic front fender. When that happened, the bike automatically got a
new fender.

Never had a plastic fender on my bikes that I recall. But haven't owned
one since the early 70's.

Brake fluid lifts paint. Spill some on your car. Spill some on your
motherboard, spill some on the IDE cable sockets, slop it around for
years and then report back to us.

Well, I've slopped it around cars for closer to 50 years than 40. That
long enough? I've got a can of it that's at least 30 years old and the
paint of the can is still there. Any unlike material that comes in contact
has some affect on each other. Bolt an aluminum part on to a steal part
and corrosion will be increased at that point. Corrosion control course
circa 1964. The thing is with the fans is that they will long be trash
before any noticable amount of damage would occur from any petrolium
products coming into contact with them. And the final point is that one
shouldn't over apply ANY type oil the the fan bearings as they will all
deteriorate the plastic to some degree. But not enough to worry about by a
long shot.

Old November 25th 05, 04:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
VaVoom

Wes Newell wrote:
[...]

Then you are right, Paul should get an XP-Mobile 2600+ Barton processor
for his board.
Old December 13th 05, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
uddarts

"" wrote:
Wes, thanks for the reply. I have an ASUS A7V133 MB version
1.05 (no
ending dot). According to the ASUS website, this version of
the MB
won't take anything faster than the 1400. I'm not saying it's

impossible, but I don't want to buy something that may or may
not work
or is going to be a hassle. I was hoping to find a site
somewhere on
the internet to find things like this for sale, but so far I
haven't
found much.

Wes Newell wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:21:41 -0600, Paul wrote:

I'm looking to get a little more performance out of an older

system. I'm
looking to buy an AMD Athlon 1400 - A1400AMS3C. Are there

good places to
buy something like this? I see a couple on eBay, but was

wondering if
there were other options. Thank you.

What MB (make/model)? As long as you know what you're doing

(or can get
someone to help you that does) you can install almost any K7

cpu in any K7
MB and make it work. One thing I will tell you. The old

tbird 1400 isn't
anywhere close to your best option. See link below

you may find an acceptable answer to xp/t-breds he

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...light=A7V 133

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Athlon...pict65298.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=327991