Chaintech GeForce FX5700 256Mb

Old April 13th 04, 11:34 AM
§

Default Chaintech GeForce FX5700 256Mb

Hey guys, anyone got an opinion on this card. I've been trying to upgrade
for 3 weeks but still can't decide. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Old April 13th 04, 01:51 PM
phil

"§" wrote in message
Hey guys, anyone got an opinion on this card. I've been trying to upgrade
for 3 weeks but still can't decide. Any help appreciated, thanks.

I've got this card , Far cry at 50fps 1024 x 768 32bit- medium settings XP
2400 - quite acceptable

Good mid range/price card

Depends what are you going to pay for it?

Cards are falling all the time due to eventual switch away from AGP, card
manufacturers are dumping stocks on trade, 5900's are now becoming cheaper
all the time.- so be aware

Old April 13th 04, 05:33 PM
Dark Avenger

"§" wrote in message . ..
Hey guys, anyone got an opinion on this card. I've been trying to upgrade
for 3 weeks but still can't decide. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Depends on what you hope to get. If you wish a nice meanstream card
that can do ..lets say Unreal Tournament 2004 with everything high
with about 40-50 FPS.. well the FX5700 256Mb should be able to do
such.

If though you expect it to outrun a 9800 Pro...no.... no..that it
can't!
Old April 14th 04, 12:50 AM
teqguy

Dark Avenger wrote:

"§" wrote in message
. ..
Hey guys, anyone got an opinion on this card. I've been trying to
upgrade for 3 weeks but still can't decide. Any help appreciated,
thanks.

Depends on what you hope to get. If you wish a nice meanstream card
that can do ..lets say Unreal Tournament 2004 with everything high
with about 40-50 FPS.. well the FX5700 256Mb should be able to do
such.

If though you expect it to outrun a 9800 Pro...no.... no..that it
can't!

Well, as for outperforming a 9800 Pro.... it's very possible...

BUT it requires a ****load of cooling.... possibly watercooling using a
chiller or phase change/vapor coolling.

That which you won't be able to afford if you buy this card =P

If you're considering it because it features 256mb of memory, don't
bother.

Higher memory bandwidth ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS takes priority over higher
memory capacity.

Old April 14th 04, 01:32 AM
§

"§" wrote in message
Hey guys, anyone got an opinion on this card. I've been trying to upgrade
for 3 weeks but still can't decide. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like it may take another 3 weeks or
even more to decide... no rush I guess.

Old April 14th 04, 03:59 PM
Dark Avenger

"teqguy" wrote in message ...
Dark Avenger wrote:

"§" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I got an GF 256 lying around, with 32 MB memory. What do you think if
I voltmod it to 3x as high voltage and add some watercooling, will it
outrun the X800? And what about shader performance? ( oh boy... feel
that sarcasm around here )
Old April 14th 04, 08:15 PM
teqguy

Dark Avenger wrote:

"teqguy" wrote in message
Dark Avenger wrote:

"§" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Shader performance is equal on the 5700 as it is on the 9800... so I
don't know what the hell you're talking about.

There are fewer pipelines on the 5700, but with a high overclock you
can balance that out.
Old April 14th 04, 09:33 PM
wired and confused

I thought about this and am considering a 5900 for my next card even a 6800
Nvidia when those are released I will be saving the dough for something
different this time.I definitely dont want to rush out and buy something
again. I am still happy with TI4600 .