Proliant 3000 - Good buy?

Old February 7th 05, 09:44 PM
Askalon

Default Proliant 3000 - Good buy?

256 MB ram
5 9.l 10K scsi drives
rackmount server with redundant power supply

not sure what else beacuse we only opened the 5500 to check it (only had
one p3 500)

$150.00

they have two and a buddy and I are thinking of picking them up.

Old February 7th 05, 10:34 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Askalon" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
256 MB ram
5 9.l 10K scsi drives
rackmount server with redundant power supply

not sure what else beacuse we only opened the 5500 to check it (only had
one p3 500)

$150.00

they have two and a buddy and I are thinking of picking them up.

Thats not a bad price for what it is. The real question is: What are you
going to do with it ? You also mentioned a 5500. How does that play into
this scenario ?

- LC

Old February 7th 05, 10:53 PM
Askalon

they had three servers, 2 3000's and one 5500. Each were $150. basic same
setup of 5 drives, not sure how much ram and only 1 P3 500 was in the 5500
as it was not spec'ed out (the reason we opened it up to look).

the 5500 was just on top, not considering to buy that one as the other two
came with dual 600's.

For myself it would replace my Dell Optiplex that thinks it is a web/email
server with a real server.

my friend is working on starting a poolhall and needs a server to run his
POS software on it.

Old February 8th 05, 12:53 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Askalon" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
they had three servers, 2 3000's and one 5500. Each were $150. basic same
setup of 5 drives, not sure how much ram and only 1 P3 500 was in the 5500
as it was not spec'ed out (the reason we opened it up to look).

the 5500 was just on top, not considering to buy that one as the other two
came with dual 600's.

For myself it would replace my Dell Optiplex that thinks it is a web/email
server with a real server.

my friend is working on starting a poolhall and needs a server to run his
POS software on it.

Given a choice, I would take the 5500. It goes up to 4 PIIIXeon processors,
where the 3000's only go 2 processors.

Good machine for email/web.

- LC

Old February 8th 05, 01:32 AM
Askalon

could be, but it was missing one of the power relays for the processors(i
forget what they are called, was told that they make sure that the
processors get good clean power).

Other wise i am sure that would work, but the allure of the dual 600's is
overwhelming, 2 600's vs having to buy 4 P3 Xenon's is out of range.

Old February 8th 05, 01:39 AM
Askalon

hmmm...looked on ebay. What is the top speed of P3 Xeon's can i put in that
5500? It could be worth it to get it instead.

But then I would need MS Server to go with the quad processor speed....

Old February 8th 05, 02:31 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Askalon" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
hmmm...looked on ebay. What is the top speed of P3 Xeon's can i put in
that
5500? It could be worth it to get it instead.

But then I would need MS Server to go with the quad processor speed....

PIII 550Mhz, 2MB L2Cache is the beefiest processor that box will take. You
can get them cheaply on eBay ...

That box would run that hell outta linux, oe 2000, 2003 server

- LC

Old February 8th 05, 05:08 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

45Mhz ?

Do you mean 450Mhz? You wont be able to use them in that box.

- LC

"f/fgeorge" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:31:36 -0600, "NuTCrAcKeR"
wrote:

"Askalon" wrote in message
news:01ec9b23b767df5b4fa1c1656c8afab2@localhost. talkaboutcomputing.com...
hmmm...looked on ebay. What is the top speed of P3 Xeon's can i put in
that
5500? It could be worth it to get it instead.

But then I would need MS Server to go with the quad processor speed....

PIII 550Mhz, 2MB L2Cache is the beefiest processor that box will take. You
can get them cheaply on eBay ...

That box would run that hell outta linux, oe 2000, 2003 server

- LC

My dual 300MHZ 3000 runs 2000 server just fine. I have 6 drives in it
and got most of them thru ebay. I also bought 2 45MHZ processors and
small cards to swap in, I will do that sometime soon.
It runs fine, not fast, but does what I need it to do.

Old February 8th 05, 10:52 PM
Nut Cracker

The main system board in that server runs at 66Mhz. The fastest processors
it will support are 333Mhz, and there is a rom chip upgrade that is
required, depending on the age of your server.

Your 450Mhz prox need a 100Mhz bus to operate, and sadly, your current board
cant give it to them.

- LC

"f/fgeorge" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 23:08:35 -0600, "NuTCrAcKeR"
wrote:

45Mhz ?

Do you mean 450Mhz? You wont be able to use them in that box.

- LC

yes, sorry 450Mhz is what I meant.

. ..

Old February 8th 05, 11:55 PM
Askalon

on this note, what type of RAM do the 3000 and 5500 take? The 3000's take
PC100 it looks like, but I am not sure and the 5500 takes 168 pin EDO?