A78nx vista 5308 working with sata

Old March 23rd 06, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default A78nx vista 5308 working with sata

Ok. Long story short, here is how I installed vista 5308 and got it
booting off of a sata 3112 controller that is on the asus a7n8x
board....

First... install vista on an ide drive. (Cant get the install to
recognize sata, even with drivers)

Once installed, download a sata driver from silicon image. I used
0.0.51....
Dont connect your sata drive when doing this, just let it detect the
controller...

Next... I used windows xp, to ghost my ide vista drive, to my sata
vista drive. I used ghost 2003, simple enough...

Now... if you try to boot of the sata drive. It wont work.
It says something like winload.exe is corrupt 0xc000000e.....

Here is how to fix this: I got this idea from a web page that said how
to image vista...

Get a copy of WinPE. Disconnect all drives, except for SATA drive with
vista.
Boot off the cd, and when it says to hit F6, give WinPE your sata raid
driver that is located on your floppy that you made. =)

WinPE boots, finding your sata drive. Mounts it as c:...

Here is what I did next.

go to console
cd c:\windows\system32
bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot
bcdedit /set {default} device boot
bcdedit /set {default} detecthal 1

Thats it. Reboot and it should work. It did for me.