Need external drive enclosure for SATA drive

Old January 29th 06, 10:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Default Need external drive enclosure for SATA drive

I have a perfectly good SATA drive, and want to use it as an external
drive with USB 2.0 and/or FireWire. But I can't find an enclosure that
accepts SATA drives. They all want IDE/PATA drives. Anybody know if
there's a SATA box out there? Thanks.

Old January 29th 06, 10:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

wrote:
I have a perfectly good SATA drive, and want to use it as an external
drive with USB 2.0 and/or FireWire. But I can't find an enclosure that
accepts SATA drives. They all want IDE/PATA drives. Anybody know if
there's a SATA box out there? Thanks.

Doing an Google search for " external SATA enclosure " gives a number
of possibilities.

Old January 29th 06, 11:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

wrote:

I have a perfectly good SATA drive, and want to use it as an external
drive with USB 2.0 and/or FireWire. But I can't find an enclosure that
accepts SATA drives. They all want IDE/PATA drives. Anybody know if
there's a SATA box out there? Thanks.

They exist, but they tend to be tray systems and cost quite a bit more
than simple enclosures for ATA drives. There's a single-bay "Sohotank"
that accepts ATA or SATA drive trays:
http://fwdepot.com/thestore/product_info.php/products_id/946.

SATA enclosures will become more common as SATA displaces ATA, but the
most common connection method will probably be direct SATA rather than a
FireWire or USB bridge.

Old January 30th 06, 12:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

GreenieLeBrun wrote:
wrote:
I have a perfectly good SATA drive, and want to use it as an external
drive with USB 2.0 and/or FireWire. But I can't find an enclosure
that accepts SATA drives. They all want IDE/PATA drives. Anybody
know if there's a SATA box out there? Thanks.

Doing an Google search for " external SATA enclosure " gives a number
of possibilities.

Those use sata on the cable, not the USB and/or firewire he wants.

Old January 30th 06, 12:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Rod Speed wrote:
GreenieLeBrun wrote:
wrote:
I have a perfectly good SATA drive, and want to use it as an external
drive with USB 2.0 and/or FireWire. But I can't find an enclosure
that accepts SATA drives. They all want IDE/PATA drives. Anybody
know if there's a SATA box out there? Thanks.

Doing an Google search for " external SATA enclosure " gives a number
of possibilities.

Those use sata on the cable, not the USB and/or firewire he wants.

Not so, look at http://www.addonics.com/products/external_hdd/ , in
particular the
The Saturn ExDrive (SED)
External SATA Drive Enclosure with USB 2.0 interface
External SATA Drive Enclosure UF
cases.

Old January 30th 06, 03:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

On 29 Jan 2006 14:34:51 -0800, wrote:

I have a perfectly good SATA drive, and want to use it as an external
drive with USB 2.0 and/or FireWire. But I can't find an enclosure that
accepts SATA drives. They all want IDE/PATA drives. Anybody know if
there's a SATA box out there? Thanks.

My local dealer has this Vantec model:
Vantec NexStar 3 NST-360SU - 3.5in Enclosure / SATA / USB2
Old January 30th 06, 08:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Thanks for the help, all. Have any of you used any of these
enclosures? I dread ordering something, only to find out it's the
wrong item....

Old January 30th 06, 08:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Old January 30th 06, 09:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

wrote:

Thanks for the help, all. Have any of you used any of these
enclosures? I dread ordering something, only to find out it's the
wrong item....

We use Wiebe Tech products, primarily we are a professional
outfit. Visit
http://www.wiebetech.com/home.php. Nothing wrong
for the home user or amateur getting an outstanding product
from here.

External Hard Drive Not Recognized hoerschy Dell Computers 0 December 7th 05 02:29 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo Storage (alternative) 37 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
FS printers/parts trays, printheads -- oki fujitsu dl3700 dl3800 hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexmark qms okidata microline 320 ml320 393 tally printronix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm intermec 7755 boul st laurent montreal ca cisco Printers 2 May 22nd 05 02:05 AM
Help With Locked Hard Drive Louis Bybee Storage (alternative) 29 November 22nd 03 03:01 PM