AX8 PCI speeds and width

Old December 2nd 05, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default AX8 PCI speeds and width

Can anyone tell me please the speeds and data width the "Abit AX8 Skt-939
PCIEx16 integrated Sound/GLAN/Firewire" m/board's legacy standard PCI
supports?

The background to this question is: I am looking for a m/board with PCI-X
(or at least fast PCI) to support an Adaptec 29320-R SCSI controller (or
even a 29160 card that I have). My supplier listed the "Abit AX8 Skt-939
PCIEx16 integrated Sound/GLAN/Firewire" as meeting my needs but I can find
no statement on the Abit site or in the manual that I downloaded of what
speeds the legacy PCI bus slots support or what data-width (32 or 64 bit).
I saw that
the PCI speed was adjustable in the BIOS but no actual values were listed.

Many thanks,
Iain.

Old December 2nd 05, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:58:24 +0000, Iain le Duc wrote:

Can anyone tell me please the speeds and data width the "Abit AX8 Skt-939
PCIEx16 integrated Sound/GLAN/Firewire" m/board's legacy standard PCI
supports?

Standard PCI is 133MBps.

The background to this question is: I am looking for a m/board with
PCI-X (or at least fast PCI) to support an Adaptec 29320-R SCSI
controller (or even a 29160 card that I have). My supplier listed the
"Abit AX8 Skt-939 PCIEx16 integrated Sound/GLAN/Firewire" as meeting my
needs but I can find no statement on the Abit site or in the manual that
I downloaded of what speeds the legacy PCI bus slots support or what
data-width (32 or 64 bit). I saw that the PCI speed was adjustable in
the BIOS but no actual values were listed.

If I'm not mistaken the PCI bus is 32bits. PCI-X is 64 bit. You can use
some PCI-X cards in a standard PCI slot but the bandwidth is severely
limited. Search for "pci bandwidth" for complete details.

Old December 3rd 05, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Wes,

Thanks for your help. 133MHz was what I expected, but I was concerned
that it might be lower: to show PCI-e in a better light - since PCI-e is
what is being pushed nowadays (for good reasons I know, but I have a lot
of investment in good quality legacy SCSI kit that I want to get more life
from yet).

Cheers,
Iain.

Old December 3rd 05, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 00:16:53 +0000, Iain le Duc wrote:

Wes,

Thanks for your help. 133MHz was what I expected, but I was concerned
that it might be lower: to show PCI-e in a better light - since PCI-e is
what is being pushed nowadays (for good reasons I know, but I have a lot
of investment in good quality legacy SCSI kit that I want to get more life
from yet).

It's not 133MHz, it's 133MBps @33MHz. Using a PCI-X card in a standard PCI
slot severely limits it's bandwidth.

Wes Newell wrote:

Standard PCI is 133MBps.

Old December 4th 05, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Wes Newell wrote:

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 00:16:53 +0000, Iain le Duc wrote:

Wes,

Thanks for your help. 133MHz was what I expected, but I was concerned
that it might be lower: to show PCI-e in a better light - since PCI-e is
what is being pushed nowadays (for good reasons I know, but I have a lot
of investment in good quality legacy SCSI kit that I want to get more life
from yet).

It's not 133MHz, it's 133MBps @33MHz. Using a PCI-X card in a standard PCI
slot severely limits it's bandwidth.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake - could have been costly for me (I saw
what I wanted to see, not what had been written! :-)

Wes Newell wrote:

Standard PCI is 133MBps.