Anybody have 4 GB (ram) in their system ?

Old December 7th 05, 01:49 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit

Default Anybody have 4 GB (ram) in their system ?

Skybuck Flying a scris:
Hi,

I read some people are having problems with the an8-sli-premium motherboard
when trying to use 4 memory sticks.

I am considering buying this motherboard because it has enough room for air
flow for two dual slot gtx 7800, 512 MB cards.

However I also want my system to be ready for 64 bit computing, like windows
vista in the future.

So who on these newsgroups is 64 bit ready ? and is already running 64 bit
linux or windows 64 bit or beta versions of windows vista with 4 GB or
memory ? !!

(I am also interested to hear about any other motherboards being able to use
4 GB/4 memory sticks in practice ! )

Bye,
Skybuck.

I have an Abit AN8 motherboard. I had at one point in time 4 memory
sticks. I had problems with the frequency of the memory. It could boot
only at 333 MHx instead of 400 MHz. But this is caused by the memory
controller which is inside the AMD CPU. I had at that time a Venice
core 3000+. For that reason I exchanged my four memory for two memory
sticks, each having double the memory amount. Now I run on the same
board an AMD Manchster core X2 3800+. I do not know if the memory speed
problem has been solved by the newer CPUs from AMD as I still have only
a single pair of dual chanell memory sticks.

Regards,
Codrut

Old December 8th 05, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit

I built an AV8 system running Win Server 2003 for my works with 4GB in dual
channel mode (two out of the first four sticks faile under memtest and had
to be swapped out, but the rig runs fine - and fast!)

Do NOT ask me about benchmarks or such, but it impresses our software house
guys whenever they log on to work on it.

DroG