ATI recommends Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher to be installed. ???

Old February 10th 05, 05:21 AM
Scrabo

Default ATI recommends Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher to be installed. ???

ATI recommends Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher to be installed for
version 5.1 & above of the drivers.

Is this must ? I don't want to install SP2 because my system is stable and
it would offer me nothing but heartbreak.

Scrabo.

Old February 10th 05, 11:48 AM
HockeyTownUSA

"Scrabo" wrote in message
newsbCOd.57774$mt.35958@fed1read03...
ATI recommends Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher to be installed for
version 5.1 & above of the drivers.

Is this must ? I don't want to install SP2 because my system is stable
and
it would offer me nothing but heartbreak.

Scrabo.

Invest in something like PowerQuest Drive Image, which I believe has been
bought out by Norton and is now part of Norton Ghost now, and make a backup
of your C: drive. If it screws up, revert back to your SP1 image.

Unless you are one of the very few that had terrible issues, it is a pretty
painless upgrade to SP2. I find my system more stable now than before. You
may run into stability issues with 5.1 and higher if you DON'T upgrade to
SP2.

Old February 10th 05, 01:10 PM
Blake Jashewski

I heard a lot of people predict doom and gloom with sp2. I found nothing
wrong with it and actually I think I run better now.

Old February 10th 05, 01:13 PM
Stoneskin

Scrabo left a note on my windscreen which said:

ATI recommends Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher to be installed for
version 5.1 & above of the drivers.

Is this must ? I don't want to install SP2 because my system is stable and
it would offer me nothing but heartbreak.

FWIW I've not had any probs with SP2 myself. This is across a number of
laptop and desktop machines in my company and my PCs at home too.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Old February 10th 05, 01:16 PM
Andrew

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:10:23 -0500, "Blake Jashewski"
wrote:

I heard a lot of people predict doom and gloom with sp2. I found nothing
wrong with it and actually I think I run better now.

I think it is fine for most people. Unfortunately there are some bits
of hardware that SP2 doesn't like and I am unlucky enough to have two
of them. I tried SP2 for a while and was able to uninstall it just
fine when I found it wasn't for me.
Old February 10th 05, 02:04 PM
T Shadow

"Scrabo" wrote in message
newsbCOd.57774$mt.35958@fed1read03...
ATI recommends Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher to be installed for
version 5.1 & above of the drivers.

Is this must ? I don't want to install SP2 because my system is stable

and
it would offer me nothing but heartbreak.

Scrabo.

If you do make sure you turn off any anti-virus and/or 3rd party firewalls
before attempting. Someone didn't do this on a friends computer and the
install wasn't completely successfull but didn't give error messages. I had
no problem getting it installed on his machine or mine.

M$ has a list of known problems. Just look to see if you have anything thats
on it.

Old February 13th 05, 12:10 AM
NightSky 421

"Blake Jashewski" wrote in message
news
I heard a lot of people predict doom and gloom with sp2. I found nothing
wrong with it and actually I think I run better now.

I'm quite happy with Service Pack 2 myself. I'm running it on both of my
computers nicely. However, I heard a game called Freedom Force does not run
under Service Pack 2. Has that issue been resolved via a patch or otherwise
now? I believe Microsoft has posted a list of software that may not run or
run properly on Service Pack 2 somewhere on their website.