Radeon 9500 Pro suddenly stopped working!

Old June 24th 03, 04:09 AM
Nordin

Default Radeon 9500 Pro suddenly stopped working!

This post is lengthy, but I ask that you read it through and offer
some advice...
----------

The other night my Radeon 9500 Pro video card stopped working, here's
what happened:

While amidst a technology demo (3rd party) the computer crashed and
restarted. (Not entirely unsual). When it came back there were a
series of beeps and the display was out. The beeps, according to my
BIOS, meant that it could no longer communicate with the video card.
(One long beep followed by two short beeps).

Since then I have tried replacing it with a Diamond 770 Ultra and it
booted fine. The Radeon also worked in a seperate PC. As of right now
I have gotten the Radeon card to boot, but with default drivers only,
negating all features in the card.

I have searched through these groups in search of answer and have
tried many things to no avail.

My specifications:
KT7 RAID Motherboard w/ ZT Bios loaded
Enlight Power Supply Unit 300W (#HPC-300-101)
AMD Athlon 900 MHz
640MB Ram
Windows XP Home, Service Pack 1

Other devices installed a
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
A Generic firewire card
Ethernet card
Home phonline network adaptor
Asus 50X Cd-Rom
Generic floppy drive
USB Hub

The first problem would seem to be the wattage on the power supply
(300W) but the card has been running flawlessly (and impressively) for
at least three months prior to the incident. The problem occured all
at once.

Now, whenever I attempt to install the latest Catalyst drivers (as
opposed to the default VGA drivers) the computer will either not boot
up at all or windows will come up with a message that reads "Windows
has detected and recovered from a device failure...".

I have also rewired the power cables so that the Radeon gets power
first, then the other devices (CDROM...) and moved the PCI cards away
(as much as possible) from the AGP slot. All BIOS settings are at
their defaults and I have also manually cleared the CMOS for good
measure.

All of these things I am doing in vain becuase the card was working
perfectly just 24 hours ago.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Let me know if you need any more
info

-Justin
Old June 24th 03, 09:08 AM
learn

one of the similiar case I have encountered has been the motherboard bios
battery problem, try renew it.
Even it was not the case, the cost is very low
"Nordin" ¦b¶l¥ó
om ¤¤¼¶¼g...

Old June 24th 03, 09:33 PM
Nordin

Thanks for the response, I suppose I could try changing the battery.
But, how would this affect the problem at all?

Also, here is the program that caused these problems in the first
place:
http://www.idvinc.com/html/downloads_exe.htm
It was the 1,000,000 tree demo.

Old June 25th 03, 02:06 AM
Dave S.

I'm thinking it's the P.S. I had one go out about 2 weeks ago and the
computer would boot put it could not find the hard drive or cdrom! I was
almost ready to install another mobo after trying everything else I replaced
the P.S. and BAM! everything works great.
So having a defective power supply can cause some weird errors.
Dave

om...

Old June 26th 03, 09:40 AM
wired and confused

probably the power supply since the card needs it to work. If that floopy
power cable connecting to card is not distributing power to card. That
would be a good place to diagnosis.
"Nordin" wrote in message
om...
The card in question is still under warranty (it was OEM) so I am
going to take it in and have AxionTech check it. If it is defective
(which seems likely at this point) they should be able to replace it
with a new one. If not, I will return to the groups.

As for the power supply, everything else works fine. I am currently
running an older (temporary) video card and all the devices run fine.
I have also never had card trouble in the past...

If the card IS okay, then I might have to replace the PSU. Anyways,
thanks for the response.

"Dave S." wrote in message

I'm thinking it's the P.S. I had one go out about 2 weeks ago and the
computer would boot put it could not find the hard drive or cdrom! I was
almost ready to install another mobo after trying everything else I

replaced
the P.S. and BAM! everything works great.
So having a defective power supply can cause some weird errors.
Dave

"Nordin" wrote in message
om...
[...]

How noisy is the Radeon 9500 Pro and 9700 Pro cards? Mac Cool General 3 August 2nd 04 08:06 AM
Radeon 9500 problem SNAKE General 0 November 13th 03 09:48 PM
Overclocking Ati Radeon 9500 Boris Overclocking 1 July 28th 03 10:14 PM
Looking for a videocard/CPU/misc. parts, any suggestions? Cyde Weys General 9 July 12th 03 12:14 AM
Settings for Radeon 9500 Pro (to OC it) Eric Bouchard Overclocking 0 July 6th 03 03:26 PM