Old PC Occasionally Won't Start, Doesn't Power Down all the time

Old February 25th 04, 06:52 AM
mr x

Default Old PC Occasionally Won't Start, Doesn't Power Down all the time

Old PC Occasionally Won't Start, Doesn't Power Down all the time

I have several computers, but I am having a problem with an old computer I
keep around for testing/experimenting purposes (trying out new OS's, and
generally tinkering with).

This computer is an old gateway g6-300, Pentium II 300, 128MB ram, 8.4
maxtor hdd

A couple of weeks ago I hit the power button and nothing happened. I hit it
again and again. nothing. I was getting ready to leave to do some errands
and didn't have time to fool with it, so I left it for the time being.

A day or two later I went to start it and it started no problem. It
currently has win98se with most of the MS win98 updates installed. I also
noticed if I choose "restart" for the shut down menu, it acts like it's
going to shut down, you see the win 98 "your computer is shutting down."
screen, the screen goes black, but the computer doesn't shut down (lights
are still on and I hear the fans going).

However if I choose "shut down" from the shut down menu, it does actually
power down all the way.

Last night it also did a strange thing where after I pressed the power
button, it began to power up and then shut itself off after about 4-6
seconds. I hit the power button again and it did the same thing. Again and
it did it a third time. I un plugged in and plugged it back in and hit the
power button again and suddenly it powered on normally.

I am guessing perhaps the power supply is starting to go, and I am wondering
if anyone out there has experienced a total or partial power supply failure.
I have never actually had a power supply go on me before. Does this sound
like what might be happening? I don't have another power supply lying around
to swap out and see if it makes a difference. I also don't have a multimeter
or any equipment to test the power supply on hand ( I guess I know what I
may need to get if I really want to get to the bottom of this).

Thoughts?

-- A

Old February 25th 04, 11:56 AM
kony

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:52:20 -0500, "mr x" wrote:

[...]

That does sound like it "could" be a power supply problem, though failure
to restart on Win98SE system (especially with similarly old drivers) might
be unrelated.

Most if not all Gateway G-6 systems used proprietary power supplies. A
standard ATX power supply is electrically (including the connectors)
compatible, but won't fit, mount in the case without significant
modification (cutting and drilling) of the case.
Old February 25th 04, 04:24 PM
kony

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:56:29 GMT, kony wrote:

Most if not all Gateway G-6 systems used proprietary power supplies. A
standard ATX power supply is electrically (including the connectors)
compatible, but won't fit, mount in the case without significant
modification (cutting and drilling) of the case.

I may have a working Gateway power supply lying around somewhere, if you
want it provide a decipherable email address.
Old February 25th 04, 06:56 PM
Con-cert-o

Certainly sounds like it could be the power supply. You may want to
invest the $30 or so to find out. If the system just shuts down by
itself, it may be due to the processor overheating. How is the air
ciruclation there? Also, something else you may want to look at last is
upgrading the BIOS. First, you may want to check just general
connections: Is your RAM seeded properly? Are power cables on your
hard drives pushed in all the way? Those are the kind of things that I
would look at. You know what? I recall having a similar situation with
one of the systems I fixed after I added new RAM. Try changing the slot
that your RAM is in (if possible) or take one of the pieces out. I
found it to be a faulty memory socket on the motherboard. Anyway, lots
of suggestions... Try the least expensive and least risky first (i.e.
don't do the BIOS first).

- Con-cert-o

"mr x" wrote in
:

Old February 26th 04, 02:51 AM
w_tom

To identify reason for failure, complete system - power
switch, motherboard control circuit, & power supply - is
described in this previous discussion: "I think my power
supply is dead" on 5 Feb 2004 in alt.comp.hardware or
http://www.tinyurl.com\2musa

That 3.5 digit multimeter is necessary to actually 'see'
what is happening; to understand the interplay between those
three system components. Even if problem is not supply, an
appreciation of what does happen is useful knowledge.

Old February 26th 04, 05:12 AM
Karl S.

[...]

Others have covered the power supply possibility, so I'll just toss in
this: The actual on-off switch could be at fault. When you buy a power
supply it usually comes with a switch, but if you have another dead
computer lying around that you could steal a switch from...

Karl S.

--
I'm still waiting for someone to WTFM!

Old February 26th 04, 05:50 AM
mr x

Thanks for all the input.

power problems gregork General 4 December 29th 03 12:45 AM
presario 4764 power supply start up ? Kevin Falconer General 13 December 4th 03 03:03 AM
Power on issue - revisited David Cook General 8 November 4th 03 05:42 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM