8KNXP Bios F6f SCSIr strange problem

Old July 21st 03, 05:23 PM
Aleph

Default 8KNXP Bios F6f SCSIr strange problem

I've flashed the BIOS with F6f version wich activate Raid function with
SCSI, and now, I have no access to dual Bios : pressing F8 in setup brings
me to black screen an floppy light on... Is there anyone with the same
problem ?

Old July 21st 03, 06:54 PM
Richard Dower

"Aleph" wrote in message
I've flashed the BIOS with F6f version wich activate Raid function with
SCSI, and now, I have no access to dual Bios : pressing F8 in setup brings
me to black screen an floppy light on... Is there anyone with the same
problem ?

lol..is this motherboard hexed?, even more problems with this then with the
8INXP. Even though i personally have had zero problems myself.

Think i will wait now to see what comes out in 2004.

Old July 24th 03, 04:34 AM
Bob Davis

"Richard Dower" wrote in message

lol..is this motherboard hexed?, even more problems with this then with

the
8INXP. Even though i personally have had zero problems myself.

Ha! Mine is stable as Gibraltar with F5, too, and damn if I feel like
fixing it if it ain't broke. I'm even afraid to upgrade from 1-2gb of RAM.
When CPU fan speed monitoring is on in the bios I get some occasional
beeping, but I disabled it--and that's the only glitch so far in six weeks.
(Knocking firmly on wood.)

Old July 24th 03, 05:01 AM
Timothy Drouillard

I'm running Bios F5, and the system is stable as a rock with a 3.2Ghz and
2gig of ram, two WD Raptors in a RAID 0 , GeforceFX5900-Ultra, etc...

I get nervous about running a beta BIOS, so I'll leave it as it is.

I see that there is an 'official' updateed bios (F6f I think) on Gigabytes
web site, but it's for the GA-KNXP-Ultra not the standard board.
. ..

Old July 24th 03, 07:19 AM
Timothy Drouillard

Started by ordering the MB, CPU, 1gig ram and a copy of WinXP Pro from the
local computer shop.
When I stooped in to pick the stuff up, i decided to add the second 1gig of
ram as well as the two Raptor HD's.

The shop made sure all four pieces of ram were from the same lot, and they
installed the ram and the cpu right there so they could fire up the MB to
insure it all worked. The ram is generic DDR400 ram, but it works just fine.

As the shop tech was firing up the MB, he mentioned to me that the MB would
only support mem in the dual-channel mode if I used only two sticks of ram.
If I used all four sticks, it would revert to single-channel use. I didn't
say anything, I just let the tech do his thing and took the parts home.

Of course he was mistaken. As long as you use mathed (same size) pairs of
ram, either one pair, two pairs or three pairs, it will run in dual-channel
mode.

I was somewhat tempted to go back to the shop and buy another pair of 512meg
sticks to fill up all six slots, but so far I've resisted the temtation.

They did ask me what I was going to use the system for, that I needed 2gig
of ram to run.

Solitaire..of course...

The only time I had a problem was when I started experimenting with settings
in the BIOS (F5). I saw where you could check 'max performance' or something
like that and tried it.

All I got was a black screen and a constant beeping. Removed the Cmos
battery for a few min, fired it back up and chose the default settings, and
it's been running great ever since.

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
. ..
Glad you're running 2gb of RAM okay, as I've been thinking about

upgrading.
I do lots of image editing (still photos in PhotoShop, etc.). Did you

start
with 2gb? If not, where did you start and did the upgrade make much
difference?

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
I'm running Bios F5, and the system is stable as a rock with a 3.2Ghz

and
2gig of ram, two WD Raptors in a RAID 0 , GeforceFX5900-Ultra, etc...

I get nervous about running a beta BIOS, so I'll leave it as it is.

I see that there is an 'official' updateed bios (F6f I think) on

Gigabytes
web site, but it's for the GA-KNXP-Ultra not the standard board.
. ..

Old July 24th 03, 02:09 PM
Bob Davis

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message

The shop made sure all four pieces of ram were from the same lot, and they
installed the ram and the cpu right there so they could fire up the MB to
insure it all worked. The ram is generic DDR400 ram, but it works just

fine.

I don't know if my present two are from the same lot, but probably are.
Buying two more will insure the second pair will not, more than likely, two
months after the initial purchase. It may not matter as long as each pair
is matched.

Of course he was mistaken. As long as you use mathed (same size) pairs of
ram, either one pair, two pairs or three pairs, it will run in

dual-channel
mode.

....and are placed in the right slots (1&4, 2&5, and 3&6).

The only time I had a problem was when I started experimenting with

settings
in the BIOS (F5). I saw where you could check 'max performance' or

something
like that and tried it.

All I got was a black screen and a constant beeping. Removed the Cmos
battery for a few min, fired it back up and chose the default settings,

and
it's been running great ever since.

The "top performance" option sets RAM timing (maybe other things) to much
more aggressive settings. I tried setting from the default (SPL) of 3-3-3-8
to 2.5-3-3-7 and it seemed to run okay, but RAM performance was only 3%
improved, so I set it back to the default. I need stability over
performance here and would rather not take any chances for such a small
performance increase, which probably would not be even noticed.