PAT and Unreal Tournament GOTY

Old June 19th 04, 11:08 PM
NBK

Default PAT and Unreal Tournament GOTY

Everytime i set PAT to turbo or standard UT 99 will freeze.
My specs: Windows XP SP1, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Cats 4.6, ADS 1394 card,
onboard sound

Thanks
NBK
Old June 20th 04, 01:04 AM
James Bald

PAT is set through the MAM bios settings.
TURBO should not be used unless you have very fast memory;
Then again, someone expert told me that TURBO will go as far
as increasing some voltages to the core or ram.
This expert recommends NOT using TURBO at all, which again
has nothing to do with PAT.

(Performance mode)
BIOS Jumperfree configuration-Advanced menu
Further than that:. If you successfully run at STANDARD, you will still
get excellent gains in speed. More than the AUTO default.
Recommended readings:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mai...-p4p800_7.html

My system P4C 2.8Ghz, won't post using TURBO, and is unstable even at STANDARD.
So I just leave it to AUTO for stability's sake. Since my DDR is VALUE Kingston ram.

Using that AI overclock, can be dissapointing if you crank-up the CPU clock. The BIOS,
AI will then reduce the FSB ratio and overall performance is lost.
Using manual overclock; I slowly tested each steps and measured the CPU and mobo
temperature to confirm stability under torture tests, now running:
220Mhz CPU clock (== 3Ghz), and setting DRAM to 400Mhz; Which in fact forces
a 1:1 ratio, resulting in an effective FSB 881Mhz; As reported by SANDRA 2004 SP1.

MAM (==PAT), is enabled under Chipset menu; Memory acceleration mode.

Performance is now quite satisfying here as I get a cache and memory combined index
over 9711MB/s and factor 12x, at 3Ghz speed; CPU temperature measured by ASUS probe
varies between 33C idle to 49C, normal stress, up to 54C all night torture test, passed.

Even left ATI 9800Pro radeon demo running all night without a glitch.
Samething running Micro$oft Combat Flight sim, all night; So sweath.. CPU using Intel HS.
Under Windows 2000 pro.

Never use TURBO mode.....Learn the manual settings, and ajust with care, monitoring
system temperatures.
regards,

Old June 20th 04, 01:22 AM
James Bald

P.S.
Just wanted to add two things:
* I use default factory voltages everywhere. I'm not about to fry the core to get at 3.3Ghz.
* Temperatures have virtually not changed if I run at 2.8Ghz stock 800FSB, or overclock.
Virtually the same.

These new P4C babies are just amazing... My advice, never up the core voltage.
Upping core voltage is risky business, and overheat guaranteed.

Once I finish playing Combat flight sim 3; I'll be ready for Doom-3.
Meanwhile I've got Unreal Tourney, & Unreal Championship on the XBOX for these kind
of crave.
Life is sweet, don't you think.

Old June 20th 04, 02:05 AM
NBK

James Bald wrote:
P.S.
Just wanted to add two things:
* I use default factory voltages everywhere. I'm not about to fry the core to get at 3.3Ghz.
* Temperatures have virtually not changed if I run at 2.8Ghz stock 800FSB, or overclock.
Virtually the same.

These new P4C babies are just amazing... My advice, never up the core voltage.
Upping core voltage is risky business, and overheat guaranteed.

Once I finish playing Combat flight sim 3; I'll be ready for Doom-3.
Meanwhile I've got Unreal Tourney, & Unreal Championship on the XBOX for these kind
of crave.
Life is sweet, don't you think.

I am using default voltages on my P4 3.06 533MHz FSB and my Radeon 9800
Pro. Also i am not overclocking anything...