Asus a7n8x deluxe gold 1.04 with XP 3200+

Old June 13th 04, 03:39 PM
VP

Default Asus a7n8x deluxe gold 1.04 with XP 3200+

I have Asus A7n8x deluxe/gold pcb 1.04 and i have upgrade bios to
1007.
I buy a Athlon XP 3200+ and it works for me with the board but the Athlon
*run*very*hot*69șc*to*75șc,with*cooler*Silent*Boot *of*Thermaltake.
*Ther's*any*problems*with*this*processor*or i need Asus a7n8x rev2.0 with
Athlon 3200+

*Any*help*is*apreciated

*VP
Old June 13th 04, 04:59 PM
Bender

My a7n8x dlx/gold pcb 1.04 (1007 bios) with 3200+ works at 52C-60C (30C amb
temp) with 9 euro cpu cooler from Akasa.

No problem.

Old June 13th 04, 05:26 PM
Paul

In article , VP
wrote:

I have Asus A7n8x deluxe/gold pcb 1.04 and i have upgrade bios to
1007.
I buy a Athlon XP 3200+ and it works for me with the board but the Athlon
*run*very*hot*69șc*to*75șc,with*cooler*Silent*Boot *of*Thermaltake.
*Ther's*any*problems*with*this*processor*or i need Asus a7n8x rev2.0 with
Athlon 3200+

*Any*help*is*apreciated

*VP

The Silent Boost has a thermal resistance of 0.5 degrees C per Watt.
A Zalman 7000A AlCu has a thermal resistance of 0.22 degrees C per Watt
when running at full speed. The Zalman is twice as good as the Silent
Boost. Take the CPU temperature and subtract the case air temperature.
That temperature is your delta_T. Using the Zalman will cause
your delta_T to be roughly cut in half. For example, if the case
air is currently 35C and the processor is 69C to 75C, with the
Zalman, the processor will be 35+((69-35)/2)=52C instead of 69C.
Under load, it will show roughly 35+((75-35)/2)=55C. I am not aware of
any heatsinks that do better than that (at least via air cooling -
you could also consider water cooling or R404 refrigerant cooler).

The only problem with the Zalman, is some motherboards need clearance
between the motherboard and the power supply, to make room for the
overhang of the Zalman. In the case of the A7N8X, the power supply
must be at least 8 or 9mm from the edge of the motherboard, to allow
room for the Zalman 7000a. You can determine this by using the picture
of the motherboard in the Asus manual and some careful dimensioning
with a drawing tool.

** **
** **
** **
** **
** Power Supply in computer case **
** **
** **
** **
************************************************** **************
^ **** *****
| 9mm or so **** ****
| **** ***
v *** ***
** A7N8X Deluxe *** **
** Motherboard ** **
** ** **
** ** **
** ** ****************** **
** Zalman 7000a ----- ** ****************** **
** 55mm radius from ** ** S462 ** **
** center of socket * ** Socket ** **
** ** ** ** **
** ** ** ** *
** ** ** ** **
** ** ** ** **
** * ** ** **
** * ** + ** **
** * ** ** **
** ** ** ** **
** ** ** ** **
** ** ** ** **
** ** ** ** **
** ** ** ** **
** ** ** ** **
** ** ******************* **
** ** ****************** **
** ** **
** ** **
** ** **
** ** **
** ** ***
** ** ***
** *** ***
** **** ***
** **** *****
** ****** *******
** ************
** **
**

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...54&code=005009
http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cool..._list_eng.html

You also need a decent fan to blow air through your computer case. The
power supply fan is too slow to cool the computer, so an additional
fan or two fans, are needed to keep the case air temperature from rising
too much. Many cases have room for optional 80mm fans, and some recent cases
can take 120mm fans. With the 120mm fan, one fan might be enough,

HTH,
Paul