Qs about motherboard/components for homebuild AMD system

Old September 23rd 03, 07:23 PM
Milt Epstein

Default Qs about motherboard/components for homebuild AMD system

Hi. I'm planning on building a PC and was looking for some
help/suggestions on some of the components to use.

While I have done a fair amount of installation/removal of components
on PCs, I have never actually built one from scratch. I have read a
lot recently to get more familiar with building systems, components,
cases, motherboards, etc. Still, there is plenty of confusion :-).

I intend to have the system be dual bootable, Linux (some recent
version of Red Hat) and Windows (probably either XP Pro or 2000 Pro).
I already have two hard drives (Western Digital 120 GB and 100 GB),
and plan to have each hard drive dedicated to one of the OS's.

The main uses of the system will be software development (e.g. Java,
..Net, Web), email, web browsing, some audio and video processing
(nothing heavy duty), some gaming (nothing heavy duty), and such.

I recently purchased an Antec Sonata case. I'm planning to use the
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton CPU.

Next choice is the motherboard. I'm considering the Asus A7N8X Deluxe
and the Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2. They are similarly priced, have
similar features, and both have gotten good reviews. Both use the
nVidia chipset and support 400 MHz FSB, ATA 133, SATA and AGP 8X, have
onboard sound, multiple USB and Firewire ports, and five PCI slots.

As to differences, the Asus seems to have gotten somewhat better
reviews (that's my impression, at least), has a better chipset (MCP-T
vs. MCP), dual network capability, and better sound. The Gigabyte has
four IDE connectors as opposed to two for the Asus (if I'm reading the
specs correctly). The Gigabyte specs also specifically mention a FDD
connector, while the Asus' doesn't.

Both of these boards are probably more than I need right now, but
they're not much more expensive than their cheaper sister boards, plus
they add some more "future proof-ness" to the system.

So, my first questions are, do these boards seem like reasonable
choices, and any comments that would help me decide between the two?

Does it seem like a reasonable balance of cost between the major
components of the system (case was around $100, CPU is around $90,
these motherboards are around $120)?

I'm going to have two hard drives, a CD-RW, and a DVD-ROM. Do I need
a floppy drive? (I have a USB Flash/Pen/Jump/Whatever drive.) Will I
need any additional IDE controllers? If I understand things
correctly, those four drives will fill up the Asus' two IDE
controllers. So if I get a floppy, or want to add another drive in
the future (the Sonata can take nine), I'd have to get another IDE
controller, correct? But not with the Gigabyte, because it has room
for eight IDE drives (plus a floppy)? Also, what's the best way to
set up those drives on the two (or more) IDE controllers?

Is the sound on these motherboards sufficient so that I wouldn't need
to get a separate sound card?

How about suggestions for a video card. As mentioned, this machine
won't be used for serious gaming, so I don't need a high end card. I
was thinking of a good 64 MB card, perhaps with some nice features
like dual head. I was thinking at most $75 or so, because that should
be enough for a quite sufficient card.

Sorry for the length of the note, and the seeming barrage of
questions. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated!

--
Milt Epstein

Old September 23rd 03, 08:48 PM
Gary L.

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:23:33 GMT, (Milt Epstein)
wrote:

I intend to have the system be dual bootable, Linux (some recent
version of Red Hat) and Windows (probably either XP Pro or 2000 Pro).
I already have two hard drives (Western Digital 120 GB and 100 GB),
and plan to have each hard drive dedicated to one of the OS's.

Be sure to create at least one FAT32 partition to share data between
the OSes. Linux will be much happier with FAT32 as compared to NTFS.
Of course, Windows won't recognize Linux ext2 or ext3 partitions.

Next choice is the motherboard. I'm considering the Asus A7N8X Deluxe
and the Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2. They are similarly priced, have
similar features, and both have gotten good reviews. Both use the
nVidia chipset and support 400 MHz FSB, ATA 133, SATA and AGP 8X, have
onboard sound, multiple USB and Firewire ports, and five PCI slots.

As to differences, the Asus seems to have gotten somewhat better
reviews (that's my impression, at least), has a better chipset (MCP-T
vs. MCP), dual network capability, and better sound. The Gigabyte has
four IDE connectors as opposed to two for the Asus (if I'm reading the
specs correctly). The Gigabyte specs also specifically mention a FDD
connector, while the Asus' doesn't.

I'm reasonably certain that the Asus will have a floppy disk
controller.

Both of these boards are probably more than I need right now, but
they're not much more expensive than their cheaper sister boards, plus
they add some more "future proof-ness" to the system.

So, my first questions are, do these boards seem like reasonable
choices, and any comments that would help me decide between the two?

Asus has a little better reputation for quality/reliability, but
otherwise the two are pretty much equal. If the price was similar, I'd
go for the Asus. I ended up with an FIC AU13 nForce 2 board because it
was super-cheap at Fry's and it has worked perfectly from day 1. It
has the MCP-T chip set and a 3Com NIC like the Asus.

I'm going to have two hard drives, a CD-RW, and a DVD-ROM. Do I need
a floppy drive? (I have a USB Flash/Pen/Jump/Whatever drive.) Will I
need any additional IDE controllers? If I understand things
correctly, those four drives will fill up the Asus' two IDE
controllers. So if I get a floppy, or want to add another drive in
the future (the Sonata can take nine), I'd have to get another IDE
controller, correct? But not with the Gigabyte, because it has room
for eight IDE drives (plus a floppy)? Also, what's the best way to
set up those drives on the two (or more) IDE controllers?

Either board will handle your present needs. Future expansion will
probably be in the form of USB 2 or 1394 external drives or SATA hard
drives, so the extra IDE ports on the Gigabyte don't matter. Also, the
Gigabyte extra IDE ports are in the form of a software RAID
controller. Such a controller won't work with Linux and requires
matched hard drives, so you can't use it anyway. And I'm sure the Asus
has a floppy port (which is a different connector from the regular IDE
connector).

Best setup (IMHO): Hard drives as master and slave on primary
controller, DVD as master on secondary controller, and CD-RW as slave
on secondary controller. Install Windows first on the master HD; then
install Linux in the slave drive. Install the Linux GRUB boot loader
on the Master Boot Record on the master drive to permit you to choose
the OS at boot time. Create an extra FAT32 partition on either disk
for sharing data between the OSes.

Is the sound on these motherboards sufficient so that I wouldn't need
to get a separate sound card?

The Nforce 2 sound works well for me (with the MCP-T). Nvidia has a
patch file for Linux to get the sound to work using the AC97-Intel 810
driver.

How about suggestions for a video card. As mentioned, this machine
won't be used for serious gaming, so I don't need a high end card. I
was thinking of a good 64 MB card, perhaps with some nice features
like dual head. I was thinking at most $75 or so, because that should
be enough for a quite sufficient card.

Anything will work fine under Windows.

I've found that the Nvidia Linux drivers are more up-to-date and work
better than the ATI drivers. Also, you have an issue with the Nforce 2
chip set AGP "GART" driver. Nvidia includes a GART driver with the
Linux video drivers and it works well. If you don't install a proper
GART driver, then 2D will work fine but you won't get any 3D
acceleration at all under Linux (which you may or may not care about).
With anything other than Nvidia, you need to download a patch from
Nvidia and recompile the Linux kernel with the patch. I'm using an
Asus GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64 MB card and I'm pleased with it both with
Windows and Linux.

Dual head is another can of worms under Linux. I believe that the
Nvidia Linux drivers support dual head, but I haven't tried them. I
have used Matrox cards with dual head under Linux using the Matrox
drivers, and managed to get it to work with only a few hours of
fiddling. If you don't need any kind of 3D performance under either
Linux or Windows, then a Matrox G550 may be your best choice, even
though it has 32 MB of memory.

- -
Gary L.
Reply to the Newsgroup for the benefit of all
Old September 23rd 03, 11:10 PM
O |V| 3 G A

see below

wrote:

[...]

speaking from 1st hand experience, and with the manual in hand, a7n8x does
have fdd controller

Both of these boards are probably more than I need right now, but
they're not much more expensive than their cheaper sister boards, plus
they add some more "future proof-ness" to the system.

So, my first questions are, do these boards seem like reasonable
choices, and any comments that would help me decide between the two?

now on my 2nd asus board, with a breif transition for 3 weeks to an epox
8rda3+ which was total junk.

[...]

why dont you get SATA HDD's from day1? 120gb 7200rpm, 8mb cahce maxtor drive
for around $120

Old September 24th 03, 01:03 AM
Scott Alfter

Old September 24th 03, 03:13 AM
Bas Ruiter

I recently purchased an Antec Sonata case. I'm planning to use the
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton CPU

Good choice of case. I bought the Antec 660AMG just before the Sonata
came out. Also a nice case, but I would have gone for the Sonata
instead.

The choice to go for the Barton is also good as they consume less power
as compared to the previous versions of the Athlon.

Next choice is the motherboard. I'm considering the Asus A7N8X Deluxe
and the Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2. They are similarly priced, have

The Asus motherboard made #3 on my own list, after the EPoX and Abit. I
eventually got the Asus because the others weren't available at the time
(December last year).

For my own PC (the previous one was for the parents) which I built 3
months ago I got the Abit NF7-S.

Basically all nForce2 boards have more or less the same features - you
just have to decide which is more important. I didn't need 2 NIC's (as
in the Asus), I liked the fact that the Abit had Soundstorm (absent on
the Asus non-Deluxe, if I recall), and the Asus is more expensive.

SATA I still consider a "non feature". This will only get interesting
when SATA II arives.

The Gigabyte has four IDE connectors as opposed to two for the Asus

If you have a lot (more than 4) IDE devices this is handy, otherwise it
matters little. You can also use SATA instead, if need be.

The Gigabyte specs also specifically mention a FDD connector,
while the Asus' doesn't.

Of course the Asus also has a FDD connector

So, my first questions are, do these boards seem like reasonable
choices, and any comments that would help me decide between the two?

Yes they do.

Tomshardware also seems to like the Gigabyte:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherb...721/index.html

In that review you'll also find a table of features for 6 boards. Very
handy.

Do I need a floppy drive?

Only YOU can answer that. I know that *i* only used my floppy drive a
handfull of times in the last year (to make bootable floppies for my
FreeSco server). I still wouldn't like to be without one, and put my old
floppy drive in my new machine.

Will I need any additional IDE controllers?

You can put 2 devices on each IDE connector. The Asus has two of those,
and the Gigabyte has four. That's 4 or 8 ATA devices! And you could also
resort to using the SATA connectors (2 devices more each) for a total of
6 or 10 devices. I don't think you need more controllers.

So if I get a floppy, or want to add another drive in the future,
I'd have to get another IDE controller, correct?

The Floppy goes on the floppy controller, not a IDE controller.

But yes... if you run out you run out. But you could use SATA to add
more SATA HD's if need be.

But not with the Gigabyte, because it has room for eight IDE drives
(plus a floppy)?

Yep, 8 IDE devices, two floppy devices, and two SATA IDE devices.

what's the best way to set up those drives on the two (or more)
IDE controllers?

Boot HD on primary master, cd- or dvd-burner on secondary master.

As for the rest, try to match devices with the same transfer speeds (PIO
/ DMA modes) that are on the same cable as the lowest common denominator
will be used. (Not that this will really matter in practice if you have
all fairly recent stuff)

Is the sound on these motherboards sufficient so that I wouldn't need
to get a separate sound card?

I'm very happy with the sound from my motherboard. Unless you have
really specialist needs for input/output I think it'll be fine.

How about suggestions for a video card.

This is the thing I really saved on. I just bought a simple TNT2 32MB
card, and it plays all my games (MOHAA, Dungeon Seige, Half-Life, ...)
well. Note that I only have a 15" monitor and usually play at 800x600
(maybe 1024x768).

If you check www.pricewatch.com you'll notice a Radeon 9200 64MB for
$48, a GeForce 5200 128MB for $62, a GeForce 3 Ti 500 for $69 and a
GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64MB for $75.

No idea wether these have DualHead or not.

Check out Tom's VGA charts for comparative speeds of the cards:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...218/index.html

If I recall correctly, the Radeon 9100 is the same as the 8500, and the
9200 is the AGP 8x version. Or something like that.

--
Bas Ruiter

e-Mail:
www:
http://members.home.nl/lordsnow
Old September 24th 03, 04:40 AM
rms

Be sure you get the A7N8X deluxe, which is the only version with the mcp-t2
soundstorm chipset. Either that or get the Abit NF7-S. Also you don't
mention if you will attempt overclocking. There really is no reason not to,
the 2500+ should run at 10.5x200 without even raising the core voltage.

rms

Old September 24th 03, 05:48 AM
zalzon

you obviously know your sh*t when it come to computers.

sounds like good advice.

one question : why do people go for the Asus A7N8X when the Asus
A7V8XX is so much cheaper. Is there any great difference?

Old September 24th 03, 12:47 PM
spodosaurus

Milt Epstein wrote:

I intend to have the system be dual bootable, Linux (some recent
version of Red Hat) and Windows (probably either XP Pro or 2000 Pro).
I already have two hard drives (Western Digital 120 GB and 100 GB),
and plan to have each hard drive dedicated to one of the OS's.

Good choice. No problems with partitioning when they're on separate HDDs.

The main uses of the system will be software development (e.g. Java,
.Net, Web), email, web browsing, some audio and video processing
(nothing heavy duty), some gaming (nothing heavy duty), and such.

What graphics card are you considering?

Next choice is the motherboard. I'm considering the Asus A7N8X Deluxe
and the Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2. They are similarly priced, have
similar features, and both have gotten good reviews. Both use the
nVidia chipset and support 400 MHz FSB, ATA 133, SATA and AGP 8X, have
onboard sound, multiple USB and Firewire ports, and five PCI slots.

As to differences, the Asus seems to have gotten somewhat better
reviews (that's my impression, at least), has a better chipset (MCP-T
vs. MCP), dual network capability, and better sound. The Gigabyte has
four IDE connectors as opposed to two for the Asus (if I'm reading the
specs correctly).

That's because the Gigabyte board has IDE RAID. RAID allows some
interesting things to be done, and you are paying more for it. The ASUS
board does not have this.

The Gigabyte specs also specifically mention a FDD
connector, while the Asus' doesn't.

Look at the image of the board on the asus site. I see a FDD connector.

Both of these boards are probably more than I need right now, but
they're not much more expensive than their cheaper sister boards, plus
they add some more "future proof-ness" to the system.

Always a good thing.

So, my first questions are, do these boards seem like reasonable
choices, and any comments that would help me decide between the two?

If you don't want 'em I'll trade you my GA-7VRXP board for your
GA7N400Pro2 board! Yes, they seem like very good boards.

Does it seem like a reasonable balance of cost between the major
components of the system (case was around $100, CPU is around $90,
these motherboards are around $120)?

That all depends on your budget.

I'm going to have two hard drives, a CD-RW, and a DVD-ROM. Do I need
a floppy drive? (I have a USB Flash/Pen/Jump/Whatever drive.)

It's not a bad thing to have for only $10.

Will I
need any additional IDE controllers?

Unless you want to use RAID, then no. If all you have are 4 IDE
devices, then all you need are two controllers.

If I understand things
correctly, those four drives will fill up the Asus' two IDE
controllers. So if I get a floppy, or want to add another drive in
the future (the Sonata can take nine), I'd have to get another IDE
controller, correct?

Wrong: the floppy goes on its own connector.

But not with the Gigabyte, because it has room
for eight IDE drives (plus a floppy)?

You can only use these extra IDE connectors if you turn on RAID. You
need to read up on what RAID is, and what RAID options the gigabyte
board supports. I always meant to play around with RAID when I bought
my GA-7VRXP(rev 2) board, but never got around to it, so I've never had
to use the extra capabilities that having a RAID enabled board allows.
I should have bought a cheaper board, and then if I ever wanted to try
using a RAID configureation purchased a RAID add in PCI card. Then
again, I was thinking like you, and wanted to 'future proof' the new
system a bit :-)

Also, what's the best way to
set up those drives on the two (or more) IDE controllers?

There's another thread in this news group currently discussing this, and
the google archives are just full of these threads across dozens of groups.

Is the sound on these motherboards sufficient so that I wouldn't need
to get a separate sound card?

What is 'sufficient' to you? I find these sufficient for my real time
strategy based computer games and playing some music on. Then again,
I'm not an audiophile at all! However, you have said that you're
planning on running a dual boot windows/linux system. Linux doesn't
always like onboard audio, but perhaps RedHat has worked on this a bit
with RedHat9. If not, you'll need to install ALSA drivers. If you
don't want to tinker, then buy a separate PCI sound card that is listed
as being supported by linux (and in particular the linux distribution
you're planning to use). That way you won't have to even take the
chance of having to play around with anything to get the sound to work.

How about suggestions for a video card. As mentioned, this machine
won't be used for serious gaming, so I don't need a high end card. I
was thinking of a good 64 MB card, perhaps with some nice features
like dual head.

That's a good thing to have: the ability to use two monitors. I find
this particularly useful when programming: code in one monitor and test
in the other. I'm not certain about this, but just because a card has
connections for two monitors, say VGA and DVI, does not mean that it can
actually support two monitors: it may only be able to use one of the
connectors at a time. Make sure you get a true dual head card, and if
you have any doubts, email the shop or the card maker and ask!

I was thinking at most $75 or so, because that should
be enough for a quite sufficient card.

$75 USD I assume?

Sorry for the length of the note, and the seeming barrage of
questions. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated!

That's what USENET is for. If someone doesn't want to read through and
answer, they're under absolutely no obligation to :-)

Ari

--
Milt Epstein

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old September 24th 03, 12:53 PM
spodosaurus

Gary L. wrote:

Dual head is another can of worms under Linux. I believe that the
Nvidia Linux drivers support dual head, but I haven't tried them. I
have used Matrox cards with dual head under Linux using the Matrox
drivers, and managed to get it to work with only a few hours of
fiddling. If you don't need any kind of 3D performance under either
Linux or Windows, then a Matrox G550 may be your best choice, even
though it has 32 MB of memory.

I've gotten a dual card setup to work under linux (nvidia geforce 2 and
tnt2 cards) and the tricky part was just editting the X11R6
configuration file. I even had desktop spanning, but because my
monitors were of two different sizes it was pretty crap. Windows
handled the two different size monitors better (it was a dual boot
system, like the OP wants to build). Just another note to the OP: if
you want to use dual monitors under linux, you might save yourself some
grief by useing two monitors of the same size. Also, another note to
the OP about video cards: if you're using a recent monitor or an LCD
monitor, make sure your new graphics card has at least a digital video
connector (as opposed to the standard old VGA connector).

HTH,

Ari

- -