Suggestions for purchasing new MOBO with CPU (overclock)

Old November 2nd 03, 01:41 PM
Dave Phillips

Default Suggestions for purchasing new MOBO with CPU (overclock)

I could use some suggestions...

I want to upgrade from by ABIT KT7A motherboard with 1.2 GHz Thujnderbird
chip to a faster board, Athlon XP CPU, etc.

I am thinking about the Abit NF7-S board with a Barton core chip. I have
read about overclocking and have never done that before.....

1. Does the NF7-S overclock well?
2. Should I get the 2500+ chip and overclock it or go to the 2800+ and
overclock it?
3. If I overclock, what speed RAM (PC2700, PC3200)???
4. What about cooling? I have the normal case fans and have added one extra
in the front. Will I need additional cooling???? Suggestions?

Dave

Old November 2nd 03, 02:15 PM
Northern Light

i have an NF7-S v1.2. Abit updated the NF7 to v 2.0 back in April. the only
change was the that Nvidia updated the northbridge chip to *officially*
support DDR 400.

This is my system:

Lian Li PC61USB black case

Enermax 430W ps

Abit NF7-S v1.2 (nForce2)

Athlon XP 2100+ Tbred B

running @2300MHz actual speed (200*11.5)

according to Sandra 2004, *faster than 3200+*

Core=1.80v

SLK-800 heatsink using Nanotherm PCM

All other voltages are at stock

768MB OCZ PC3200, 400 FSB, 7-3-3-2.5 (Abit Optimal settings)

Tyan Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

core=405, mem=364.5 (no artifacts)

WD360D (Raptor 36GB SATA 10k rpm, 8mb cache)

WD800JB (80GB, 7200rpm, 8mb cache)

Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW

Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra speakers (newest version of the ProMedia 5.1)

Roland GS Sound Module Sound Canvas SC-55mkII

Logitech MX500 mouse & X-Trac Pro HS optical mousepad

Epson Perfection 1240U 42-bit scanner

Samsung ML-1650 laser

Canon i950 photo printer

Canon PowerShot A70 digital camera

WinXP Pro SP1 + all critical updates

DirectX 9.0b

Latest BIOS/driver updates on all hardware/software

RoadRunner 3.0Mbps connection

John

m...

Old November 2nd 03, 03:33 PM
Lee

The Abit NF7-S is a very nice board and so is the Asus A7N8X deluxe i would
choose between these 2 in todays market. The later barton 2500+ to my
understanding are outstanding overclockers and should definately go higher
than a 2800+ barton, plus the barton 2500+ will save on your wallet :-). As
for ram i would be looking at pc3500 either OCZ or Kingston HyperX and for
the cheaper option pc3700 TwinMos ram. As for cooling i would be looking at
getting the thermalright SLKs for excellent cooling.

:
:I want to upgrade from by ABIT KT7A motherboard with 1.2 GHz Thujnderbird
:chip to a faster board, Athlon XP CPU, etc.
:
:I am thinking about the Abit NF7-S board with a Barton core chip. I have
:read about overclocking and have never done that before.....
:
:1. Does the NF7-S overclock well?
:2. Should I get the 2500+ chip and overclock it or go to the 2800+ and
:overclock it?
:3. If I overclock, what speed RAM (PC2700, PC3200)???
:4. What about cooling? I have the normal case fans and have added one extra
:in the front. Will I need additional cooling???? Suggestions?
:
:
:Dave
:

-----
Lee.

Old November 7th 03, 04:34 AM
News

Considering a similar base system, but have to still answer the following:
Do you want SATA, RAID, IEEE 1394, single or dual LAN, on board audio,
spdif, dual channel memory, etc?
Best mix so far seems to be DFI NFII Ultra Infinity for about $100 (not to
be confused with the LanParty NFII Ultra or its even more insanely feature
packed successor). For a few bucks and a number of features less, the NFII
Ultra-AL or NFII 400-AL
Any tips for finding the best bang/buck memory for these?

Weird Mobo Problem... Grativo General 7 April 17th 04 07:17 PM
MoBo / CPU Question Erin Peterson General 12 February 1st 04 04:54 AM
What can I do about my dead mobo? Zenobia General 3 January 5th 04 10:30 PM
How to connect front audio ports to mobo *Vanguard* General 5 December 17th 03 10:35 PM
Suggestions for games parlour Zotin Khuma Overclocking AMD Processors 2 November 8th 03 04:35 AM