Ambient temp ques

Old October 7th 03, 03:50 AM
Rabramson1

Default Ambient temp ques

Hi,

I have amd 2600 oced to 200x11 vcore stock....my cpu stays relatively cool
32-36 C idle and 42 load.....my ambient however is always about the same as
the cpu....after load my mobo gets to 42 c....can anyone explain y? thx

Old October 7th 03, 02:55 PM
S.Heenan

Rabramson1 wrote:
Hi,

I have amd 2600 oced to 200x11 vcore stock....my cpu stays relatively
cool 32-36 C idle and 42 load.....my ambient however is always about
the same as the cpu....after load my mobo gets to 42 c....can anyone
explain y? thx

Case temperature should be within 5C of ambient(room) temperature. Under
100% CPU load, case temp should not rise in a case with proper airflow. You
want a minimum of one intake in the bottom front and one exhaust in the
mid-rear of the case, excluding PS fans.

Old October 7th 03, 07:33 PM
Gary W. Swearingen

"S.Heenan" writes:

Rabramson1 wrote:

I have amd 2600 oced to 200x11 vcore stock....my cpu stays relatively
cool 32-36 C idle and 42 load.....my ambient however is always about
the same as the cpu....after load my mobo gets to 42 c....can anyone
explain y? thx

It sounds like your temperature measurements are what you think they
are. Are you sure "ambient" isn't really a temp probe on the
motherboard just under the CPU? Temps are notoriously unreliable to
begin with, so it wouldn't be odd that the on-chip and under-chip
temps are the same.

Case temperature should be within 5C of ambient(room) temperature. Under
100% CPU load, case temp should not rise in a case with proper airflow. You
want a minimum of one intake in the bottom front and one exhaust in the
mid-rear of the case, excluding PS fans.

Maybe. But it seems more reasonable to want your CPU, bridge chips,
graphics chips, HDDs, and maybe a few other things in your case to
stay cool enough to achieve the heat-related risk of premature failure
that you want, traded off with the level of heat production
(overclocking) you want (or can achieve). Get or build a temperature
probe (e.g., the one reviewed at
http://www.extensiontech.net/article...o/pstu/3.shtml), and improve
your cooling features until the temps are OK at sustained full load.
(Or you might even have different limits for sustained full load and
shorter duration full load.) You could wind up with a relatively hot
running case that's quieter. Of course, to achieve the max cooling of
the CPU, you'll need to keep the max amount of air moving past it,
with max noise. But if you're cooling needs were moderate and you did
careful fan placement and ducting, you could allow your case
temperatures to be quite high, and enjoy the reduced noise.

You can find some reliability vs. temperature information if you look
for it; I've forgotten where I saw some. But I suspect that many
people are running their chips and cases much cooler (and noiser) than
they need to. (I know I am.

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
athlon XP temperature kamik General 2 April 29th 04 11:58 PM
Prescott P4 2.80E CPU Running at 76 Celcius Brian Overclocking 23 April 9th 04 02:04 AM
cool case temp, high CPU tips? LRW Overclocking 9 January 15th 04 09:57 AM
GA 7N400-PRO...new bios NewB Overclocking AMD Processors 5 August 19th 03 09:06 AM