Info on old card.

Old February 12th 05, 01:56 PM
Jimmy

Default Info on old card.

I have this card:
http://home.comcast.net/~prototracer...s/Firewire.jpg

This came with Pinnacle Studio DV a few years ago. My question is what is
the white cable connector used for on the back of the card. What would the
internal firewire connector be used for and are there any features this card
has over any other firewire card installed? I have since upgraded to Studio
8 and replaced this card with an ATI AIW 7500. Would I gain anything by
installing this card along with other wirefire connectors I already have on
my sound card?

Thanks for any tips.

J.

Old February 12th 05, 05:06 PM
Augustus

"Jimmy" wrote in message
I have this card:
http://home.comcast.net/~prototracer...s/Firewire.jpg

This came with Pinnacle Studio DV a few years ago. My question is what is
the white cable connector used for on the back of the card. What would the
internal firewire connector be used for and are there any features this
card has over any other firewire card installed? I have since upgraded to
Studio 8 and replaced this card with an ATI AIW 7500. Would I gain
anything by installing this card along with other wirefire connectors I
already have on my sound card?

Power for the on-card firewire ports. You'll find this connector on some AIW
8500 cards as well, and people wonder about whether or not the power
connector is required for normal operation. Only if the firewire is used. If
you have functioning usable firewire ports and your AIW 7500 is doing
everything you need to do, it's not necessary to put this card back in.

Old February 12th 05, 05:15 PM
Jimmy

Augustus wrote:
"Jimmy" wrote in message
[...]

So when it was installed in older machine I must have had that connected to
something(power supply?) or it would not have worked?

J.

Old February 12th 05, 05:43 PM
Augustus

So when it was installed in older machine I must have had that connected
to something(power supply?) or it would not have worked?

This is a Q&A page from ATI regarding this feature on their AIW and DV
cards. It would also apply to your Pinnacle card.

What use does the additional 4-pin internal power connector have on
the ALL-IN-WONDERŽ RADEONŽ 8500DV? How does it work?

A17: There is an internal 4-pin power connector on the ALL-IN-WONDERŽ
RADEONŽ 8500DV. This is an optional connection and is not required to be
connected for the IEEE 1394/FireWireŽ DV functionality to work. There are
very few devices that draw power from the IEEE 1394/FireWireŽ connector;
camcorders do not require this connection. However, some examples of devices
that do require this power connection are new 'eyeball' cameras that sit on
top of the monitor or some very small hard drives. When you connect the
4-pin power connector, power is provided on the IEEE 1394/FireWireŽ
connector's pins both on the graphics board and on the Input/Output block.

Old February 12th 05, 07:20 PM
Jimmy

Augustus wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much. I do believe I have seen these connectors elsewhere on
other types of PCI cards.

J.