Drive doesn't recognise blank CDR - Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2002

Old October 25th 03, 03:24 AM
Graham Appleton

Default Drive doesn't recognise blank CDR - Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2002

Drive doesn't recognise blank CDR - Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2002

Main questions: What would cause a drive to be able to write to a CDR
containing data and not to a blank one and also be able to read all
discs perfectly? Also why did it work before I re-formatted my hard
drive and re-installed Windows XP, but not now?

Detail: Recently done a fresh format and re-install of Windows XP Pro
+ SP1 and now I can not burn a CD as the drive does not recognise that
a blank CDR has been inserted. I have tried 5 CDs from the same pack,
and none work on this computer although they are recognised fine on my
friend's computer, also I used 100 of these disks before on this drive
without any problems. I have tried flashing the firmware on my
Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2002 combo drive. My drive has the 1F26 firmware
and have tried flashing it with the original firmware (RPC2) available
at http://forum.rpc1.org .

Curiously, it does burn to an un-finalised CDR with data on it via
Multisessioning; this works on Windows XP built in burning and with
Nero. It reads all discs fine.

I also noticed that the drive does not make the sounds I was familiar
sounds, with when a empty CDR is inserted and Windows XP does not
bring up the option dialog as to what to do with the blank disk.
Windows XP built in burning reports "Insert a writable disc to
continue. There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable CD
into drive D:\" and Nero doesn't allow any selection of Write speed
when a blank CDR is in the drive although it does allow selections as
soon as the disc is ejected. Creating a compilation without a disc in
the drive and then selecting the burn option reports "Waiting for
drive to become ready". If the disc is ejected again and the final
burn button pushed Nero switches to the burn screen and reports
"DVD-ROM SD-R2002: Waiting for Disc. Please insert an empty disc to
write to… Disc required for the compilation: CD-R/RW. Disc type in
the recorder: (Empty)." When a CDR is inserted the light on the drive
flashes for a long time but nothing else happens.

Bizarrely in 20+ hours of fiddling I have managed to burn two CDRs,
both originally blank (adding to already written discs - un-finalised
discs - works fine). However when I tried straight away to do it
again, I encounted the same old problems.

I have tried using the latest SIS PCI IDE UDMA controller driver, but
I got the same results I got from the one that one Windows XP chooses
to install.

I have tried enabling/disabling DMA both from the BIOS or from Device
Manager for both the Hard Drive and/or CDRW/DVD-ROM.

Even though I use Windows XP I have tried installing an ASPI layer
from www.adaptec.com 4.71a2 (install program only wants to add
wnaspi32.dll and aspi32.sys and not install winaspi.dll or
wowpost.dll. No help at all. I then tried installing forceaspi to
add all four files, which it did, but my problems remain.
(http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm )

In desperation and I used a CD drive cleaner, the type with the
brushes underneath, luckily it did not damage the drive, but it didn't
help either.

I have tried using version 6.0.0.19 or 5.5.10.35 (Enterprise Edition)
of Nero Burning ROM, and have tried using the built in windows XP
burning functions. I have tried combinations of turning off the CD
burning facilities of XP and setting the IMAPI CD-Burning COM service
through Automatic/Manual/Disabled rebooting each time. I have tried
many combinations of disabling/Enabling Services via the
Administrative tools menu. I have Microsoft Office 2003 installed,
but can't see why this would make a difference.

I have a Rock Sigma SI Laptop from www.rock-direct.com find additional
(and probably irrelevant) information on it from
www.mobile-support.net . Info on Toshiba Slim 4x Combination
CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive SD-R2002 from
http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storag...&model=SDR2002
..

Question: In Nero disc info what does the information for the drive in
the brackets mean: (ID: 0 HA:1)

If you require any other information I am sure I can supply it. I've
never been this stuck with a IT problem before, and hope u can help!
I've spent many hours on google researching this problem to no avail.
Hope this post will get the answer I need. Thank you for your help.

Also if anyone else has the same problem, even if you have no
solutions please post and we can compare configurations to rule some
things out; plus it will be nice to know I am not alone! (This person
seems to have the same problem with a Toshiba
http://pub44.ezboard.com/fultimatebo...icID=792.topic
)

Thanks
Graham

P.S. Nero infotool results file attached.
Old October 27th 03, 06:36 AM
Li'l Roberto

"Graham Appleton" wrote in message
om...

Drive doesn't recognise blank CDR - Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2002
Detail: Recently done a fresh format and re-install of Windows XP Pro
+ SP1 and now I can not burn a CD as the drive does not recognise that
a blank CDR has been inserted. I have tried 5 CDs from the same pack,
and none work on this computer although they are recognised fine on my
friend's computer, also I used 100 of these disks before on this drive
without any problems. I have tried flashing the firmware on my
Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2002 combo drive. My drive has the 1F26 firmware
and have tried flashing it with the original firmware (RPC2) available
at http://forum.rpc1.org .
Thanks
Graham

If you haven't already, try these:

If your system board has a VIA chipset, install the 4 in one drivers
Make sure DMA is activated on both IDE Controllers
You mention playing with services , did you disable the in house CD
burning service [IMAPI CD burning COM service] in the services applet ?.

Li'l Roberto

Old October 29th 03, 03:56 PM
Rosie

In message , Li'l Roberto
writes
"Graham Appleton" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Did Graham Appleton manage to fix this, as I am having exactly the same
problem with an LGDVD8160B? It will read CDR/CD-RW but not see any DVD,
this after I re-installed XPHome + SP1.
I did find something on the MS site
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
which talks about udfs.sys. It seems I might have the 32 bit version but
not the 16bit which I need to read DVDs. However, the only way to get
the file is by applying to MS! Does anyone know where I can find this
file, or can someone send it to me please? The above link describes the
problem and what version I might need.
Many thanks.
--
gillie
Old October 30th 03, 04:33 PM
Graham Appleton

No Rosie, I still haven't fixed my problem, and have tried with
several brands of CDR. I will research your suggestion further and
report back. Thanks for your input.
Old October 30th 03, 04:35 PM
Graham Appleton

I have tried with the IMAPI service on Automatic and no manual and on
disabled, witht the same results every time. My chipset is SIS and I
have tried upgrading the IDE controllers with no luck. I have only
tried both PIO and DMA modes, with the same problems each time.
Old October 30th 03, 06:43 PM
Rosie

In message , Graham
Appleton writes
I have tried with the IMAPI service on Automatic and no manual and on
disabled, witht the same results every time. My chipset is SIS and I
have tried upgrading the IDE controllers with no luck. I have only
tried both PIO and DMA modes, with the same problems each time.

Hi Graham. I'm still struggling with this. I have an Abit KT7a so I
installed the VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers but they made no difference.
As I re-installed XPHome _and_ SP1 using a slipstreamed CD, I'm thinking
of installing SP1 again by itself this time. Don't know if that is a
good plan or not!
I've had no response to my query about udfs.sys and I can't trace a
source on the net (apart from MS).
--
gillie
Old October 31st 03, 09:55 PM
Graham Appleton

Sounds a good idea to me to reinstall XP but without SP1. I installed
SP1 almost as soon as i put XP on the computer, and stupidly didn't
allow it to save files for uninstall. I'm going to put off a complete
reinstall as my comp is now set up perfectly about from this (quite
major) problem.

Rosie wrote in message ...
In message , Graham
Appleton writes

Old November 1st 03, 06:34 PM
Rosie

In message , Graham
Appleton writes
Sounds a good idea to me to reinstall XP but without SP1. I installed
SP1 almost as soon as i put XP on the computer, and stupidly didn't
allow it to save files for uninstall. I'm going to put off a complete
reinstall as my comp is now set up perfectly about from this (quite
major) problem.

I thought I would re-instal SP1 because the version I have of udfs.sys
is different to the version shown he
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
and I wondered if the SP1 version didn't instal correctly.
However, I now find I've lost the magazine disc of SP1 so I need to find
another copy!
Like you, having only recently done a fresh instal and as my system is
fine (apart from the DVD read failure) I'm reluctant to do anything
major.
Please advise if you have any more thoughts!
Regards.

Rosie wrote in message
In message , Graham
Appleton writes