Compatabilility Porblem

Old May 31st 04, 01:11 PM
That's Confidential

Default Compatabilility Porblem

I have a HP Omnibook 4150b and a friend had recently given me a Panasonic
CF-VDRRT1 DVD CD-R/RW for free as he has upgraded his comp. Nevertheless, he
ain't given me an installation disks to go with it.

Now, I have tried to add this drive as new hardware however it can't find a
driver to go with it. I have googled for CF-VDRRT1 DVD CD-R/RW drivers and
downloaded and installed a few however still no joy.

When I have googled for INSTALLATION OF CF-VDRRT1 DVD CD-R/RW, it says that
this is only compatible with a certain type of Panasonic Toughbook.

As I got the writer for free from a friend, this isn't such a problem,
however is there no way of making this compatible with my HP Omnibook?

Thanks in advance

Old May 31st 04, 01:42 PM
kony

On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:11:15 +0000 (UTC), "That's Confidential"
wrote:

I have a HP Omnibook 4150b and a friend had recently given me a Panasonic
CF-VDRRT1 DVD CD-R/RW for free as he has upgraded his comp. Nevertheless, he
ain't given me an installation disks to go with it.

Now, I have tried to add this drive as new hardware however it can't find a
driver to go with it. I have googled for CF-VDRRT1 DVD CD-R/RW drivers and
downloaded and installed a few however still no joy.

When I have googled for INSTALLATION OF CF-VDRRT1 DVD CD-R/RW, it says that
this is only compatible with a certain type of Panasonic Toughbook.

As I got the writer for free from a friend, this isn't such a problem,
however is there no way of making this compatible with my HP Omnibook?

Thanks in advance

The drive is configured in the system BIOS. There is no need to try
"adding new hardware", the OS will see it without this measure, and no
driver is needed, though of course you may want software for DVD viewing
or CDR writing, but without any software it should still show up, be
usable to read discs.
Old May 31st 04, 01:46 PM
That's Confidential

This drive is connected via USB. When I initially connected the drive, a
window popped up saying "installing new hardware" and then asked me to
locate the suitable driver!

I already have a removable D:/ drive however this USB extra recordable drive
is still not showing up

Old May 31st 04, 02:44 PM
Shepİ

On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:46:45 +0000 (UTC) As another one bit the dust
"That's Confidential" wrote :

This drive is connected via USB. When I initially connected the drive, a
window popped up saying "installing new hardware" and then asked me to
locate the suitable driver!

I already have a removable D:/ drive however this USB extra recordable drive
is still not showing up

What O/S?
Try here,
http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm
HTH

.. .

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old May 31st 04, 02:51 PM
That's Confidential

Windows 98SE? Before actually installing the drive, should I have some
software installed? Is this what actually contains the driver?

"That's Confidential" wrote :

This drive is connected via USB. When I initially connected the drive, a
window popped up saying "installing new hardware" and then asked me to
locate the suitable driver!

I already have a removable D:/ drive however this USB extra recordable

drive
is still not showing up

What O/S?
Try here,
http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm
HTH

.. .

Old May 31st 04, 05:36 PM
Shepİ

On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:51:52 +0000 (UTC) As another one bit the dust
"That's Confidential" wrote :

Windows 98SE? Before actually installing the drive, should I have some
software installed? Is this what actually contains the driver?

Win98 will most likely require updated drivers/patches to run an
external USB drive.
Check the page I sent you below.

.. .
"That's Confidential" wrote :

This drive is connected via USB. When I initially connected the drive, a
window popped up saying "installing new hardware" and then asked me to
locate the suitable driver!

I already have a removable D:/ drive however this USB extra recordable

drive
is still not showing up

What O/S?
Try here,
http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm
HTH

.. .

Old May 31st 04, 11:38 PM
kony

On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:51:52 +0000 (UTC), "That's Confidential"
wrote:

.. .
"That's Confidential" wrote :

This drive is connected via USB. When I initially connected the drive, a
window popped up saying "installing new hardware" and then asked me to
locate the suitable driver!

I already have a removable D:/ drive however this USB extra recordable

drive
is still not showing up

Windows 98SE? Before actually installing the drive, should I have some
software installed? Is this what actually contains the driver?

If you mean by above "removable D:/ drive" that it is a different,
external USB drive, that your USB port(s) are confirmed working properly
with other drive, it would seem that the focus should be on obtaining
correct driver.

You write "software". No, there is no need to install "software", but
_IF_ that software ALSO includes a driver, with no option to install
driver other than installing the "software", then yes, you need to install
software. Do not plug in the drive and THEN try to locate the driver with
a wizard, install driver first. If device is plugged in, unplug it,
install driver, reboot.

Since you found the other drivers non-working, another alternative is to
determine what USB bridge chip the drive is using and find another USB
drive or enclosure using same bridge chip and install that driver.