Good internal flash card reader...

Old May 9th 04, 10:09 PM
KILOWATT

Default Good internal flash card reader...

Hi everyones...thanks to read.
I will be, in june, the owner of a digital camera and need advise to buy a
good flash card reader... the kind that goes in a 3½" (5¼" ?) drive bay and
wich plugs on a usb header on the motherboard. Share your thoughts and
opinions and even your experiences if you already have one installed.
(Should work with both Win98SE or XP!) TIA

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

Old May 10th 04, 11:16 AM
kony

On Sun, 9 May 2004 17:09:22 -0400, "KILOWATT"
wrote:

Hi everyones...thanks to read.
I will be, in june, the owner of a digital camera and need advise to buy a
good flash card reader... the kind that goes in a 3½" (5¼" ?) drive bay and
wich plugs on a usb header on the motherboard. Share your thoughts and
opinions and even your experiences if you already have one installed.
(Should work with both Win98SE or XP!) TIA

Main issues would be:

1) Does it come with a driver for Win98SE... XP has native support

2) Does it look good, match the case coloring?

If your board has available/unused USB2 port header, then of course a USB2
capable reader would be preferred. Otherwise the're all a dime-a-dozen,
no performance difference since the flash media itself is the limit on
read speed (on USB2), or the USB interface on USB1 except with very old
media (early Compact Flash or MMC cards).

Other than those issues, it's a pretty painless device, you just plug in
the memory card and presto, the "drive" is available.
Old May 10th 04, 07:30 PM
S.Heenan

KILOWATT wrote:
Hi everyones...thanks to read.
I will be, in june, the owner of a digital camera and need advise to
buy a good flash card reader... the kind that goes in a 3½" (5¼" ?)
drive bay and wich plugs on a usb header on the motherboard. Share
your thoughts and opinions and even your experiences if you already
have one installed. (Should work with both Win98SE or XP!) TIA

http://www.cbit.ca/retail_productdet...No=FLY-M40-981
This is the unit I prefer when a cardreader is required. It does work with
both Win98 and Win XP.

Old May 10th 04, 10:07 PM
KILOWATT

Thanks a lot Kony and S.Heenan for your replies.
I still have some questions:
1- When i hook-up a flash card reader, does it appears with a drive letter
in "MyComputer" just if i were installing a CD-ROM drive?
2- Nice all-in-one reader on the url you've sent, S.Heenan! Just a question
about it: If i use it instead of my actual 1.44MB floppy drive, it is
possible to boot from it just like a standard floppy drive? I'm actually
using a computer equipped with a p4p800-vm motherboard from ASUS, running
under Win98SE, but even after rechecking in the manual, i'm still not shure
if i can boot from a usb device...any thoughts? TIA

Old May 11th 04, 12:33 AM
S.Heenan

KILOWATT" kilowatt"nospam wrote:
Thanks a lot Kony and S.Heenan for your replies.
I still have some questions:
1- When i hook-up a flash card reader, does it appears with a drive
letter in "MyComputer" just if i were installing a CD-ROM drive?

Yes, that's correct. You can view, copy, paste, and format in Windows
Explorer.

2- Nice all-in-one reader on the url you've sent, S.Heenan! Just a
question about it: If i use it instead of my actual 1.44MB floppy
drive, it is possible to boot from it just like a standard floppy
drive? I'm actually using a computer equipped with a p4p800-vm
motherboard from ASUS, running under Win98SE, but even after
rechecking in the manual, i'm still not shure if i can boot from a
usb device...any thoughts? TIA

You would set the first boot device to "floppy" in this case. The Mitsumi
uses a floppy ribbon cable, four wire USB connector and a floppy power
connector. I am quite certain the P4P800-VM will allow you to boot from USB,
if you require. Most new motherboards of this calibre allow it.

Windows 98 drivers can be found he
http://www.mitsumi.com/enduser/1_drivers.html#FDD
(FA404MSELF.exe)

Old May 12th 04, 12:10 AM