Why bother?

Old March 16th 09, 04:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Inkjet101

Default Why bother?

I went to Walmart to take a look at the HP printers. They had a
printer/scanner/fax model going for $69. Then I looked at the HP ink
cartridges. A combination pack with black and three colors was also $69!
Why would anyone bother to buy ink when you can keep replacing the
printer for the same price?
Old March 16th 09, 09:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Peter

inkjet101 wrote:
I went to Walmart to take a look at the HP printers. They had a
printer/scanner/fax model going for $69. Then I looked at the HP ink
cartridges. A combination pack with black and three colors was also $69!
Why would anyone bother to buy ink when you can keep replacing the
printer for the same price?

The ink carts bundled with the printer may well be low capacity specials
Old March 16th 09, 12:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

"Peter" wrote in message
inkjet101 wrote:
I went to Walmart to take a look at the HP printers. They had a
printer/scanner/fax model going for $69. Then I looked at the HP ink
cartridges. A combination pack with black and three colors was also $69!

The ink carts bundled with the printer may well be low capacity specials

Why would anyone bother to buy ink when you can keep replacing the
printer for the same price?

All the major printer companies use this tactic simply to get a consumer
onboard using their product. Eventually that particular sale will end and
the consumer will have been caught with that printer model. It's nothing new
and the fact that these companies make their profit from the consumer
repurchasing of their ink cartridges proves that it works, since this
marketing method began about 8 years ago.
The vast majority of people using computers and their peripherals are
not yet invested to think, "Why does this ink cost so much?", or "Why can't
I refill this cartridge?". Most people think for the moment in this area.
The businesses make more money, most folks pay more for ink, and our
resources and environment continue to lose. Eventually we'll have a
catharsis, but it will take awhile 'til enough people get upset.
--
Jan Alter

Old March 16th 09, 12:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Mar 16, 12:00*am, inkjet101 wrote:
I went to Walmart to take a look at the HP printers. They had a
printer/scanner/fax model going for $69. Then I looked at the HP ink
cartridges. A combination pack with black and three colors was also $69!
Why would anyone bother to buy ink when you can keep replacing the
printer for the same price?

Letter sized printers have such small cartridges it is hardly worth
using them to print photos. 13 inch printer are a little better, go to
17 inch and your print costs start to come in the range of the big box
store printers.
It is also hard to find profiles for the small printers so you are
hampered right from the start to get quality prints.

Tom
Old March 16th 09, 05:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

"Jan Alter" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
inkjet101 wrote:
[...]

In keeping with Jan's comments, did you ever hear of the "Gilette razor
sales model"? In the days of the original safety razor with the double edge
blades, they virtually gave away the razor and you then bought the blades
that fit it - for years, if not decades. The money is not made on the
device itself but on the consumables that are then sold for it. With
respect to the razor example, there were subsequently shaving devices that
passed up that the safety razor model - electric razors, multi-bladed razors
that last for many more shaves, and disposable injection molded plastic
razors. Oddly enough, there is now a retro interest in returning to the
shaving mug, shaving soap, brush, and safety razor mode of shaving.
Apparently, there are now online sites with instructions on the technique to
get the best shave with these materials. Having been there and done that,
I'll stay with what "progress" has brought us.

Old March 16th 09, 07:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DB.

"Burt" wrote in message
..
..
In keeping with Jan's comments, did you ever hear of the "Gillette
razor sales model"? In the days of the original safety razor with the
double edge blades, they virtually gave away the razor and you then
bought the blades that fit it - for years, if not decades. The money
is not made on the device itself but on the consumables that are then
sold for it. With respect to the razor example, there were
subsequently shaving devices that passed up that the safety razor
model - electric razors, multi-bladed razors that last for many more
shaves, and disposable injection molded plastic razors. Oddly enough,
there is now a retro interest in returning to the shaving mug, shaving
soap, brush, and safety razor mode of shaving. Apparently, there are
now online sites with instructions on the technique to get the best
shave with these materials. Having been there and done that, I'll
stay with what "progress" has brought us.

Yes! I acquired one of these Gillette razors in 1954, and remember
my astonishment when the shopkeeper said "The razor's free, but the
blades are (can't recall that) a packet". So this is an old ploy.
I've been through the electric razor phase, but for many years I've
had a beard and have now reverted to my free Gillette (with brush and
soap) to shave my neck every few days. The razor would then, of course,
only take Gillette blades though other safety razor blades were on sale
at that time. I see that the blades I have here are Wilkinson (design
protection expired, perhaps?).
What surprises me now is that my blades say "Made of finest
Sheffield steel". With Britain's manufacturing base now completely
destroyed I had thought that steel is no longer made in Sheffield! But
perhaps they now make "Sheffield" steel in China!

--
DB.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Old March 17th 09, 01:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 04:00:52 +0000, inkjet101 wrote:

I went to Walmart to take a look at the HP printers. They had a
printer/scanner/fax model going for $69. Then I looked at the HP ink
cartridges. A combination pack with black and three colors was also $69!
Why would anyone bother to buy ink when you can keep replacing the
printer for the same price?

Here is the answer to your question. Ask yourself where you are. Now
look around you at the other shoppers. Look at the store you are in. Look
at a lot of the merchandise. Look at the clerks. There is your answer.
Old March 17th 09, 01:38 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:11:37 +0000, Jan Alter wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
inkjet101 wrote:
[...]

They will get more stupid soon.

.. The businesses make more money, most folks pay more for ink, and

get better results.

Old March 17th 09, 01:39 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:38:50 -0700, tmonego wrote:

On Mar 16, 12:00Â*am, inkjet101 wrote:
I went to Walmart to take a look at the HP printers. They had a
printer/scanner/fax model going for $69. Then I looked at the HP ink
cartridges. A combination pack with black and three colors was also $69!
Why would anyone bother to buy ink when you can keep replacing the
printer for the same price?

Letter sized printers have such small cartridges it is hardly worth
using them to print photos. 13 inch printer are a little better, go to

and have the same size carts