R200 - Installed Ink Cartridges Error Message

Old April 17th 09, 09:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John

Default R200 - Installed Ink Cartridges Error Message

I keep getting the "installed ink cartridges may not be genuine blah
blah" error message all of a sudden, and I've never had this issue
previously. I always use Jet Tec in my Epson R200 printer. Red light
is permanently lit at the moment despite having around 30% ink
remaining in the cart with the lowest levels.

Powering down and then switching back on a few minutes later as well
as rebooting hasn't solved the issue. Can anyone suggest anything to
get it working again and tell me what the issue might be?

Thanks,

John

Old April 18th 09, 12:45 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

Up until last June I handled about 80 Epson printers at our public
elementary school that I had been accummulating for classroom use since
1998. They were 740, 880, C80, C82, C84, and C88 machines. After coming back
to school from summer vacation I often noticed that the C82 machines would
indicate that one or more cartridges could not be read by the software and
needed to be changed out. Changing them got the machines to run again.
It never occured to me until a few months ago that Epson might have
some schedule built into the firmware that would indicate how long the
cartridge has been in the machine and tell it to stop working. Yet that is
what I'm theorizing is happening with Epson cartridges that inexplicably
stop working. I would not be surprised if Epson is now time stamping a
period of 6 or 7 months within the printer's firmware for each cartridge.
If you can get hold of a chip resetter for your machine (they are
cheap - like $5 - $20) and reset the chip on the offending cartridge. Or if
you don't wish to wait, go out and purchase a new cartridge, then remove the
chip from the old cartridge and stick on the chip from the new cartridge.
Use a small ball of putty or clay inside the hollow cavity that the chip
fits over to hold the chip in. Do not use a glue. From what I understand
some of the resinous glues can actually make the chips go bad reacting with
the pcb.
Do a google search for chip resetters for the Epson R200.

--
Jan Alter

Old April 18th 09, 04:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:25:00 +0100, John wrote:

I keep getting the "installed ink cartridges may not be genuine blah
blah" error message all of a sudden, and I've never had this issue
previously. I always use Jet Tec in my Epson R200 printer. Red light

That is your problem.

Old April 18th 09, 05:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

measekite wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:25:00 +0100, John wrote:

I keep getting the "installed ink cartridges may not be genuine blah
blah" error message all of a sudden, and I've never had this issue
previously. I always use Jet Tec in my Epson R200 printer. Red light

That is your problem.

Then why is an idiot moron POS loser like you responding?
Are you really as dumb and stupid as you appear to be?
You are aren't you!...LOL!
Loser!

Old April 18th 09, 06:43 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 03:21:53 GMT, measekite wrote in
:

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:25:00 +0100, John wrote:

I keep getting the "installed ink cartridges may not be genuine blah
blah" error message all of a sudden, and I've never had this issue
previously. I always use Jet Tec in my Epson R200 printer. Red light

That is your problem.

.... and, right on cue, the Messerschmitt turns in for its strafing run ...
Old April 19th 09, 03:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
NotMe

"John" wrote in message
:I keep getting the "installed ink cartridges may not be genuine blah
: blah" error message all of a sudden, and I've never had this issue
: previously. I always use Jet Tec in my Epson R200 printer. Red light
: is permanently lit at the moment despite having around 30% ink
: remaining in the cart with the lowest levels.
:
: Powering down and then switching back on a few minutes later as well
: as rebooting hasn't solved the issue. Can anyone suggest anything to
: get it working again and tell me what the issue might be?

Give this appliation a shot.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Been a while since I had to use it but the app has a reset function

Old April 19th 09, 03:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Epson printers are getting more critical of what cartridges they like or
don't.

Beware of newer driver upgrades.

Other causes can be a failed chip (they are rewritten to regularly while
in use, and can eventually fail, especially reused chips from older
cartridges), or the chip contact pads my be dirty and not be making
proper contact, or if the cartridge is not fully installed. The wires
within the cartridge housing may also get dirty with ink, or bent or
even break as they are rather brittle. if you do need to bend them to
get them realigned do so with care to avoid breaking them.

I suggest removing the cartridge, clean both wire and pads with a bit of
rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab and reinstall making sure it is fully
installed. If the problem continues, you may need to either reset the
chip, or use an OEM cartridge or a reset chip from one to test.

You could also try using the reset utility at:

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/