Foil through a laser?

Old December 6th 08, 07:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Periproct

Default Foil through a laser?

Just had one of my thoughts.

Anybody know if it would be possible to put hobby foil through a laser
printer?
This is the stuff
http://www.amaco.com/prod-artemboss-...heets-360.html

It is quite sturdy stuff, not your kitchen foil. It even has warnings about
cutting yourself on the edges.

I have a year old HP 2605dn which I don't want to wreck. I'm guessing the
sharp edges of the foil would be the problem.
(Think I know the answer to this one).

Old December 6th 08, 08:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Hari Seldon[_4_]

"Periproct" schreef in bericht
Just had one of my thoughts.

Anybody know if it would be possible to put hobby foil through a laser
printer?
This is the stuff
http://www.amaco.com/prod-artemboss-...heets-360.html

It is quite sturdy stuff, not your kitchen foil. It even has warnings
about cutting yourself on the edges.

I have a year old HP 2605dn which I don't want to wreck. I'm guessing the
sharp edges of the foil would be the problem.
(Think I know the answer to this one).

Rule of thumb: putting anything beyond plain copier-paper in you printer is
risky.

I once Ruined a Color LaserJet by inserting a (overhead)-sheet in it for
inkjets.. It melted and well... drum damaged, etc. etc.

Just buy a cheap HP Laserjet 5 and try it on that...

Old December 6th 08, 09:17 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Periproct

"Hari Seldon" wrote in message
. ..

"Periproct" schreef in bericht
Just had one of my thoughts.

Anybody know if it would be possible to put hobby foil through a laser
printer?
This is the stuff
http://www.amaco.com/prod-artemboss-...heets-360.html

It is quite sturdy stuff, not your kitchen foil. It even has warnings
about cutting yourself on the edges.

I have a year old HP 2605dn which I don't want to wreck. I'm guessing the
sharp edges of the foil would be the problem.
(Think I know the answer to this one).

Rule of thumb: putting anything beyond plain copier-paper in you printer
is risky.

I once Ruined a Color LaserJet by inserting a (overhead)-sheet in it for
inkjets.. It melted and well... drum damaged, etc. etc.

Just buy a cheap HP Laserjet 5 and try it on that...

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking sharp foil edges and my transfer
belt. Not sure I would have risked it even if someone here had said it was
fine. Ebay here I come.

Old December 6th 08, 10:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ato_Zee

Anybody know if it would be possible to put hobby foil through a laser
printer?

Might be an electrostatic problem, foil being conductive.
Toner is put on the drum by electrostatic charge, think
that its transfer to paper involves a difference in charge.
Laser printers seemed unhappy if the paper has been
stored in a dessicator.
Old December 6th 08, 11:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 19:51:37 -0000, Periproct
wrote in :

Just had one of my thoughts.

Anybody know if it would be possible to put hobby foil through a laser
printer?
This is the stuff
http://www.amaco.com/prod-artemboss-...heets-360.html

It is quite sturdy stuff, not your kitchen foil. It even has warnings about
cutting yourself on the edges.

I have a year old HP 2605dn which I don't want to wreck. I'm guessing the
sharp edges of the foil would be the problem.
(Think I know the answer to this one).

I have the feeling that you would not get a good bond of the toner to the
(non-porous) metal surface.

--
- Nic.
Old December 7th 08, 01:01 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Periproct

Thanks all for your feedback. Didn't think is was one of my best ideas.

Have to make a 'Willy Wonka golden ticket' for school homework.

Old December 7th 08, 02:39 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rjn

"Periproct" wrote:

Thanks all for your feedback.

You asked, at least. Printer makers don't provide much
advice on off-schedule materials, and many people get
their answer by trying, and destroy their printers.

Didn't think it was one of my best ideas.

Laser printers work by creating isolated charged pixels
on the paper where the electrostaticly transferred toner
adheres, which is then fused at high temperature. With
a conductive medium, you won't get isolated charge regions
(unless the foil is coated).

Have to make a 'Willy Wonka golden ticket' for school homework.

Print on laser-rated adhesive film.
Stick the film to the foil.
Or use transfer media.
Google "laser printer gold foil"

--
Regards, Bob Niland
Old December 7th 08, 03:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

wrote in :

Just had one of my thoughts.

Anybody know if it would be possible to put hobby foil through a laser
printer?
This is the stuff
http://www.amaco.com/prod-artemboss-...heets-360.html

It is quite sturdy stuff, not your kitchen foil. It even has warnings
about
cutting yourself on the edges.

I have a year old HP 2605dn which I don't want to wreck. I'm guessing the
sharp edges of the foil would be the problem.
(Think I know the answer to this one).

I have the feeling that you would not get a good bond of the toner to the
(non-porous) metal surface.

--
- Nic.

For what it's worth, I tried printing on regular kitchen foil taped to
a piece of paper and it printed OK. However, it was done on an ink jet
printer. It was an interesting effect. There was no problem running it
through the printer.
Old December 7th 08, 06:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ato_Zee

For what it's worth, I tried printing on regular kitchen foil taped to
a piece of paper and it printed OK. However, it was done on an ink jet
printer. It was an interesting effect. There was no problem running it
through the printer.

What was the interesting effect, and was the result durable?
Ink jet printing is susceptible to moisture, and on a
non-absorbant surface probably more so.
For a metallic finish overprinted on an inkjet it might
be fruitful to try metallic spray paint on light weight card,
and print on to that.
Lasers don't like coated stock, if the coating does't
affect the drum it may give problems in the fuser.
Old December 7th 08, 06:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
john jardine

"Periproct" wrote in message
Just had one of my thoughts.

Anybody know if it would be possible to put hobby foil through a laser
printer?
This is the stuff
http://www.amaco.com/prod-artemboss-...heets-360.html

It is quite sturdy stuff, not your kitchen foil. It even has warnings

about
cutting yourself on the edges.

I have a year old HP 2605dn which I don't want to wreck. I'm guessing the
sharp edges of the foil would be the problem.
(Think I know the answer to this one).

I've run a lot of metal and mettalic foils through laser printers. Keep the
path as straight as possible. Some lasers have an opening rear door for this
purpose.
Laser transport mechanics seem very well built and would seemingly be happy
trying to feed 1/4" steel plate.
Toner adhesion to metals and polished surfaces is poor. I usually heat
laminate the sheet afterwards, apply double sided tape and then cut up to
size.
Mostly I use them for panel labels and artworks, they can look quite
impressive but it's an expensive business if only a small part of each sheet
is used.

aluminium foil annalissa General 6 October 25th 08 03:18 PM
Foil-stamping Iain Printers 1 November 9th 06 11:36 PM
Is color laser paper OK for mono laser printers? Dot Net Developer Printers 11 November 3rd 06 08:30 PM
Color Cartridged Silver Foil Removed [email protected] Printers 2 June 2nd 05 01:55 PM
Foil block printing consumables for laser printers Big Craigie Printers 6 April 23rd 04 01:01 PM