Athlon 64 CPU temp

Old July 22nd 06, 06:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
[email protected]

Default Athlon 64 CPU temp

Hi,

I just built a system with an Athlon 64 3500+ socket AM2 (ECS C51GM-M
1.0 motherboard), and I'm finding that the CPU temp is running very
high under heavy loads. I have cool n quiet enabled, and under no load
the CPU temp is about 46C and the case is about 40C. The ACPI temp
seems to run hotter the longer it's on, and right now it's 54C. HD is
38C When I run the CPU under a heavy load, the temp can jump up to
70C, with the case staying around 42C. It doesn't seem to make much of
a difference if I open the side of the case. Room temp is ~18C.

I am using the AMD heatsink and fan from the retail box. Initially I
mistakenly put thermal grease on the CPU even though there was a
thermal pad on the heat sink. After having temperature problems, I
removed the heatsink, cleaned heatsink and CPU with isopropyl alcohol,
and put arctic silver 5 on (size about 3/4 of a BB just like arctic
silver recommends).
Tried movinaag heatsink slightly after install to remove bubbles.
Reclamped heatsink. Same temp problems!

So now I'm particularly concerned about the CPU temp under heavy loads,
and the power supply temp under normal circumstances. The CPU fan is
running at about 2800 rpm, and the case fan is also running. The heat
sink never feels particularly warm, which makes me think that there's
still poor thermal conductivity. Is the AMD cooling solution just
lousy? Can someone make some recommendations as to how to decrease
these temperatures?

Can you guys tell me what temperatures you get under no load and under
heavy loads? Can you also tell me what you're using to cool it? I've
read some of the previous posts, and the tips haven't gotten me
anywhere.

thanks,
Keith

Old July 22nd 06, 06:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
[email protected]

I should also add that I am not overclocking.

Old July 22nd 06, 10:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Htnakirs

It definitely seems like a heatsink problem. Try getting a replacement
from the dealer. Or another branded heatsink.
70 is the max stated at the AMD site, so its serious.

Old July 22nd 06, 12:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
TonyC

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Your case temp looks on the high side too. You using some case fans to get
rid of the warm air in your case? Does the CPU feel like it's running at
these ridiculously high temp when you touch it? It's possible the temps are
being mis-reported.

I got Opteron146 @ 2.86Ghz, idles about 35c load 45c

Old July 22nd 06, 02:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:06:10 -0700, keith.langer wrote:

[...]

I can show you mine (A64 754 3000+).

CPU Temp: +31°C (low = +15°C, high = +60°C) sensor = diode
M/B Temp: +30°C (low = +15°C, high = +40°C) sensor = thermistor

Room temp is 24C. I've got all 5 PCI slots filled with 4 HDTV tuner cards
and one IDE raid card. 3 HDD's, etc. The tuner cards run reallly hot
comparably.. Because of this, I've taken the side cover off and have an
800mm fan blowing on the tuner cards. I'm using a TR2-M6 cooler ($6.95)
and for HS compund I've been using 30 year old wheel bearing grease since
Sept. 1 of 2005 just to prove a point (being that all the hype about
cooling compounds is crap).

And now some wags about your problem. Doesn't sound like you have enough
AS5 to start with. 3/4 BB would probably be fine for a CPU without a heat
spreader, but it doesn't sound like enough for one with one. It might be,
but I think a full BB would have been better. With the side cover off,
running CnQ, room temp of 18C, the cpu temp probably should be about 25C
assuming the cpu cooler is installed properly and correct temp readings.
But, with the cover on and the case temp reaching 42C, the cpu temp would
probably be 45-50C at idle, so you might have a case cooling problem too.
Leave the side cover off until you get this under control and then check
the difference when you put it on and act accordingly.. If the cpu temps
you are getting are correct, the only thing I can see being wrong is the
cpu cooler either not having enough HS compound or it's not installed
properly. Start there.

Old July 22nd 06, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
[email protected]

The case has a fan on the side. When I touch the heatsink, it feels
warm, but not too hot (I can't touch the CPU without removing the heat
sink!). The room temp was actually about 25C, possibly because the
computer had been warming it up.

Old July 22nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
[email protected]

The amount of AS I applied was per Arctic's web site instructions for
an AMD CPU with a heat spreader. The amount was enough that the entire
heat spreader was covered when I pulled off the heatsink.

I just remounted the heat sink for a third time and reapplied AS. I
verified that the heatsink is clipped on both sides and the arm is
locked in place. The heatsink is on solidly.

I have now been running it with the side of the case off, so I'm
getting ambient airflow but the case fan is not hooked up. The
temperatures I'm getting are from SpeedFan, and I'm not sure exactly
what some of them are. Here's what I'm getting with a 100% CPU load:

CPU: 68C
System (motherboard?): 38
? 25 (video card?)
HD: 30
ACPI 43

The heatsink feels hotter, but not too hot to touch.

Room temp is 25.

The CPU temp can go up or down by 10-15 degrees in a matter of seconds.
I mention this because I had read on another post that the temp can be
measured from a diode on the CPU, or by a thermistor on the
motherboard. I'm guessing that this board uses the diode, but I
haven't yet confirmed this with ECS. They claimed that a reading of 70
is high for a thermistor reading, but not for a diode reading. I don't
know how true this is.

In the course of writing this post, I had removed the CPU load. The
current CPU temp is 39C with a system temp of 36C. The heat sink feels
much cooler (I got a reading of 32C from the base with an instant
thermometer).

thanks,
Keith

Old July 22nd 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:49:26 -0700, keith.langer wrote:

I have now been running it with the side of the case off, so I'm
getting ambient airflow but the case fan is not hooked up. The
temperatures I'm getting are from SpeedFan, and I'm not sure exactly
what some of them are. Here's what I'm getting with a 100% CPU load:

Go into the bios from a cold boot and check the temps there. The cpu will
be running at full speed under some load. Temps there should be between
35-45C. If they are, then you can be sure that the speedfan temps are
wrong. If the bios temps stablize over 50C, then there's a problem
somewhere IMO. Quite possibly with the way the software is reading the
temps of the newer AM2 cpu's. How do the bios temps compare to speedfan?

Old July 22nd 06, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
[email protected]

Wes,

The BIOS temps are comparable to the speedfan temps with cool n quiet
disabled. The CPU temp runs 55-62C in the BIOS.

Keith

Wes Newell wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:49:26 -0700, keith.langer wrote:

I have now been running it with the side of the case off, so I'm
getting ambient airflow but the case fan is not hooked up. The
temperatures I'm getting are from SpeedFan, and I'm not sure exactly
what some of them are. Here's what I'm getting with a 100% CPU load:

Go into the bios from a cold boot and check the temps there. The cpu will
be running at full speed under some load. Temps there should be between
35-45C. If they are, then you can be sure that the speedfan temps are
wrong. If the bios temps stablize over 50C, then there's a problem
somewhere IMO. Quite possibly with the way the software is reading the
temps of the newer AM2 cpu's. How do the bios temps compare to speedfan?

Athlon XP 3200+ vs. Sempron 3300+ Socket A * * Chas Asus Motherboards 33 February 15th 06 09:20 PM
Case Temp vs Die Temp Rob Stow General 0 August 28th 04 03:10 AM
Athlon 2800 & temp Nick Overclocking AMD Processors 4 December 24th 03 11:50 PM
Slowest Athlon 64 humbles fastest P4 in gaming Tone-EQ Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 15th 03 04:09 PM
AMD or Intel J.Clarke Storage (alternative) 56 December 11th 03 03:05 AM