AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Upgrade

Old October 27th 06, 05:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Merrill P. L. Worthington

Default AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Upgrade

C. Sowash wrote:
On 26-Oct-2006, "Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote:

I have an FX-55. How do I set the CPU multiplier?

What motherboard?

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

In BIOS setup, go into the Cell Menu and start tweaking up the FSB.

Isn't the FSB speed different than the CPU multiplier? Currently it's set at
209 x 13.0. How do I increase the 13?

(the simple way...)

There is a difference. In this case, the 209 is the FSB frequency, the
13.0 is the multiplier. The FX multiplier is not locked so that 13 can
be increased. But go a little at a time until the system starts to get
unstable (won't POST, locks up, BSOD, strange things happening with the
video display, etc.). Then back off a little.

While you're increasing the multiplier, watch the CPU temps. Run a
program or game that eats up a lot of CPU to see what happens with the
temps. If the CPU starts running consistently over 55C (I use 55C,
YMMV), then back off the speed.

Old October 27th 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Merrill P. L. Worthington

C. Sowash wrote:

[...]

BTW, unless you're using very fast hard drives, there may not be a
significant change in performance. Don't be expecting your computer to
run at telepathic speeds just by o/c'ing 10% or 20%.

In my experience, the best o/c performance I've gotten resulted in some
smoothing of video performance.

Old October 27th 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
C. Sowash

On 27-Oct-2006, "Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote:

There is a difference. In this case, the 209 is the FSB frequency, the
13.0 is the multiplier. The FX multiplier is not locked so that 13 can
be increased.

Back to my original question: How do I increase the multiplier (13) rather than
the FSB? I can't find any setting to Core Center to do this.
Old October 28th 06, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Merrill P. L. Worthington

C. Sowash wrote:

On 27-Oct-2006, "Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote:

There is a difference. In this case, the 209 is the FSB frequency, the
13.0 is the multiplier. The FX multiplier is not locked so that 13 can
be increased.

Back to my original question: How do I increase the multiplier (13) rather than
the FSB? I can't find any setting to Core Center to do this.

You've got to look at the manual specific to your motherboard. And it
never hurts to get into the BIOS setup and trying to dig out the
setting. Worst case it that you just have to clear CMOS and start again.

Old October 28th 06, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
C. Sowash

On 27-Oct-2006, "Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote:

You've got to look at the manual specific to your motherboard. And it
never hurts to get into the BIOS setup and trying to dig out the
setting. Worst case it that you just have to clear CMOS and start again.

OK, so after all of this discussion about FSB and other issues unrelated to the
multiplier, your answer is "I don't know".

Old October 28th 06, 04:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Merrill P. L. Worthington

C. Sowash wrote:
On 27-Oct-2006, "Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote:

You've got to look at the manual specific to your motherboard. And it
never hurts to get into the BIOS setup and trying to dig out the
setting. Worst case it that you just have to clear CMOS and start again.

OK, so after all of this discussion about FSB and other issues unrelated to the
multiplier, your answer is "I don't know".

No. Its there. But its up to you to browse around your specific BIOS to
find the option.

As I said before....

Look in the Cell Menu or Advanced Options in your BIOS. I don't have
the same kind of motherboard but there aren't too many other variations.

Old October 28th 06, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter van der Goes

"C. Sowash" wrote in message

On 27-Oct-2006, "Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote:

You've got to look at the manual specific to your motherboard. And it
never hurts to get into the BIOS setup and trying to dig out the
setting. Worst case it that you just have to clear CMOS and start again.

OK, so after all of this discussion about FSB and other issues unrelated
to the
multiplier, your answer is "I don't know".

Why should MTW, or anybody else, download your motherboard manual, then read
it for you to show you the setting? BTW, do you have the K8N Neo4
Platinum/SLI or the K8N Neo4 Platinum?

From looking at the MSI site, you'll need to tell us if you have PCB v1 or
PCBv3 (should be silk screened on the motherboard itself) so the correct
manual can be researched.

Hint: Under Advanced Chipset Settings, look for Adjust CPU Ratio.

Old October 28th 06, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Merrill P. L. Worthington

Peter van der Goes wrote:
"C. Sowash" wrote in message

On 27-Oct-2006, "Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote:

You've got to look at the manual specific to your motherboard. And it
never hurts to get into the BIOS setup and trying to dig out the
setting. Worst case it that you just have to clear CMOS and start again.

OK, so after all of this discussion about FSB and other issues unrelated
to the
multiplier, your answer is "I don't know".

Why should MTW, or anybody else, download your motherboard manual, then read
it for you to show you the setting? BTW, do you have the K8N Neo4
Platinum/SLI or the K8N Neo4 Platinum?

From looking at the MSI site, you'll need to tell us if you have PCB v1 or
PCBv3 (should be silk screened on the motherboard itself) so the correct
manual can be researched.

Hint: Under Advanced Chipset Settings, look for Adjust CPU Ratio.

Danke. Better said that the "RTFB" response I was thinking.

Athlon upgrade? J. R. Overclocking AMD Processors 1 October 19th 04 09:09 PM
Athlon Upgrade Bob Homebuilt PC's 1 July 22nd 04 07:24 PM
Upgrade from Athlon XP 1800+ to 2800+...temps up almost 15C?! Robert Paulsen AMD Thunderbird Processors 16 February 17th 04 06:58 AM
Upgrade path: which socket/CPU? Paulo Jan General 33 January 29th 04 05:55 AM
Slowest Athlon 64 humbles fastest P4 in gaming Tone-EQ AMD Thunderbird Processors 1 December 15th 03 04:09 PM