When will XP/x64 hit the stores ?

Old April 14th 05, 05:28 PM
Fred

IMHO, swapping licences makes little sense, as some existing apps will not
work on x64, and lots of drivers will be missing for a while. XP 64 makes
sense in a dual boot config, or using virtualisation to host XP32.

Fr

f/fgeorge wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:44:37 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote:

f/fgeorge wrote:
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:16:24 -0400, Carl Kaufmann
wrote:

Al Dykes wrote:
Didn't XP for x64 get released to manufacturing a couple weeks
ago, when can we expect to see a retail kit it in the stores ?

Never. It's going to be OEM only.
The MS guy over in the MS newsgroup said that an individual will be
able to buy direct from MS as a trade-in for a 32 bit copy.
Also that the OEM's are being encouraged by MS to trade-in copies of
the 32 bit OS for 64 bit versions IF they sold systems with the 64
bit chips and 32 bit OS's.

Apologies for asking a FAQ, but where is this MS Newsgroup,
exactly?

BL.

http://communities.microsoft.com/new...64bit&slcid=us
click on the name in the left box, the group opens up

Old April 15th 05, 08:58 AM
bastard

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:49:05 GMT, f/fgeorge
wrote:

JUST read in Maximum PC, May 2005, page 13 top left, MS WILL be
"Microsoft has no plans to offer XP Pro 64 as a stand-alone retail
product."

Aren't a lot of those Dell type system retailers INTEL only ?

They're too good to us.

Old April 15th 05, 10:29 AM
Ashley Pride

Randy Howard wrote:

Well, there is absolutely no reason to be an Intel CPU over an AMD
one today. This is ESPECIALLY true for 64-bit CPUs, where AMD
is far and away the better choice, for price and performance.

No reason? don't talk rubbish. There are situtations where an INTEL chip
is the better choice.

Ash.

Old April 15th 05, 12:28 PM
J.Venning

"Ashley Pride" wrote in message
Randy Howard wrote:
Well, there is absolutely no reason to be an Intel CPU over an AMD
one today. This is ESPECIALLY true for 64-bit CPUs, where AMD
is far and away the better choice, for price and performance.

No reason? don't talk rubbish. There are situtations where an INTEL chip
is the better choice.
Ash.

I am a total newbie as far as the performance of these two are
concerned. Would you please tell me in what situations the INTEL chip is the
better choice over the AMD?
J.

Old April 17th 05, 02:31 AM
steal this message

Randy Howard wrote:
Well, there is absolutely no reason to be an Intel CPU over an AMD
one today. This is ESPECIALLY true for 64-bit CPUs, where AMD
is far and away the better choice, for price and performance.
No reason? don't talk rubbish. There are situtations where an INTEL chip
is the better choice.
Ash.

I am a total newbie as far as the performance of these two are
concerned. Would you please tell me in what situations the INTEL chip is
the
better choice over the AMD?
J.

Encoding

New E core AMD 64 cpu's now have the wondrous xyz-who-cares extensions
that help with encoding.

Buy the AMD.

INTEL has sunk too deep into it's own bull**** marketing culture and
Ottellini will be selling his stock on the sly.

Old April 17th 05, 05:03 AM
Yadayada

steal this message wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:32:51 -0400, "Yadayada" wrote:

k...
Randy Howard wrote:
[...]

I agree that for the huge maority of apps, AMD64 is a considerably better
choice. Even though the new cores have SSE3, the Intel still is a good bit
better at encoding. Encoding is of of those things that pays little
attention to anything but raw MHz. I still suggest the AMD to anyone, unless
the will be doing strictly encoding or mostly encoding with their machine.
Even with the new cores, the gap is still there.

Old April 18th 05, 02:06 AM
zzipper

Running software like VMWare is one situation where Intel makes a
difference. I switched to an A64 on my main workstation about 2 months ago
and I took a serious performance hit when running this app. Other than that,
it's rocket fast and hasn't had any glitches at all but hyperthreading did
actually make a difference with this app. I'm waiting for the dual-core's to
be out and will probably move up to that, should eliminate the issue.

. ..