startup problem

Old June 15th 04, 08:20 PM
Jimt

Default startup problem

When I start my computer the first thing in the morning, the computer does
not send a signal to the monitor. If I then reset the computer, the boot
process starts but then hangs at the third bootup page, the one that lists
components. If I then allow the computer to run for a few minutes and then
reset it boots up fine and will reboot OK for the rest of the day. It seems
to me to be either a MB or Power supply problem but I'd like to be able to
trouble shoot it before I started buying new components. Any help is
appreciated.

Old June 16th 04, 12:14 AM
MCheu

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:20:48 -0700, "Jimt"
wrote:

When I start my computer the first thing in the morning, the computer does
not send a signal to the monitor. If I then reset the computer, the boot
process starts but then hangs at the third bootup page, the one that lists
components. If I then allow the computer to run for a few minutes and then
reset it boots up fine and will reboot OK for the rest of the day. It seems
to me to be either a MB or Power supply problem but I'd like to be able to
trouble shoot it before I started buying new components. Any help is
appreciated.

1. Check the monitor to video card connection.

2. Check the video card seating.

3. This is going to sound weird, but check the grounding of the
motherboard and maybe the case.

MCheu
Old June 16th 04, 12:39 AM
Mike Walsh

I suspect that you have a bad motherboard, but first reseat the power plugs and check the voltages with a digital voltmeter.

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old June 16th 04, 12:42 AM
kony

wrote:

When I start my computer the first thing in the morning, the computer does
not send a signal to the monitor. If I then reset the computer, the boot
process starts but then hangs at the third bootup page, the one that lists
components. If I then allow the computer to run for a few minutes and then
reset it boots up fine and will reboot OK for the rest of the day. It seems
to me to be either a MB or Power supply problem but I'd like to be able to
trouble shoot it before I started buying new components. Any help is
appreciated.

Well if you happened to mention the motherboard and power supply we might
have more to go on, but yes, it's typically a motherboard or power supply
problem, more often power supply but easily motherboard instead, or in
rare cases, a power supply problem that has also worn out the motherboard
(capacitors).

You might investigate whether there are loose contacts, getting better
with temp rise... check cables, cards, etc, barely wiggling them or
reseating if they are questionable.

You could take voltage readings on the power supply connector but often
that's not enough to troubleshoot this type of problem. That is, if
voltage reads off too much it would be revealing but often the voltage
looks ok. You might examine the capacitors on the motherboard, especially
about the CPU socket and by the memory and video card, and unplug the
power supply from AC for a few minutes then open it, inspect it as well...
especially the capacitors near where the wiring harness connects to the
circuit board.

You might also unplug any non-essential parts, leaving them out overnight,
then see if that seems to improve odds of POSTing in the morning. If it
does, would seem more likley a power supply problem. By non-essential
parts I mean almost everything, leave only the CPU, heatsink fan, 1 memory
module (or two if they're RIMMS) video card, installed. SInce goal is not
to boot but just to POST the system, have drives unplugged from power and
motherboard too.

If all else fails I suggest borrowing or buying (from some place with a
good return policy) a power supply.
Old June 17th 04, 03:07 PM
Jimt

Thanks to MCheu, Mike Walsh and kony for your suggestions. Jim
"Jimt" wrote in message
When I start my computer the first thing in the morning, the computer does
not send a signal to the monitor. If I then reset the computer, the boot
process starts but then hangs at the third bootup page, the one that lists
components. If I then allow the computer to run for a few minutes and

then
reset it boots up fine and will reboot OK for the rest of the day. It

seems
to me to be either a MB or Power supply problem but I'd like to be able to
trouble shoot it before I started buying new components. Any help is
appreciated.

This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Problem with freezing mouse, Windows Explorer Jon Davis General 3 April 3rd 04 04:06 AM
Startup problem J. Doomen General 1 January 4th 04 04:58 PM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM
Computer startup problem KriKri General 1 July 12th 03 12:31 PM