My E7300.....

Old August 24th 08, 02:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Default My E7300.....

Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Fishface" typed:
~misfit~ wrote:

Do you really want me to try it? I don't need to on my mobo as it
has such excellent OCing options in BIOS. However, if you'd like me
to try it I will. It's not like I haven't got about 4 tubes of
different TIMs.

They are saying it can cause it to boot with a different strap or
something and enable it to go higher on some boards.

Yes, it would. However my BIOS allows me to set the strap manually and
choose between 200, 266, 333 and 400. It's not dependant on the CPU
to set it.

But since you
were able to run 8 x 450, though, I don't know. Probably not?

No, there is truth in the 'strap' limiting max FSB. I think it's to
do with latency to NB. ( Semi-informed speculation, take with a
grain of salt.)
What the heck is Intel doing to the low FSB parts to limit them?!

See above. The E4500 (200 FSB stock) that I ran on a 450 FSB was done
with the strap set to 400.

An interesting test would be to try each core separately. Maybe only
one is not up to snuff?

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's a chipset and latency issue, nothing to do
with the CPU as such. The higher the strap the higher the CPU - NB
latency is set making it less likely to encounter errors with high
FSB speeds. It is in Intel thing but to do with chipset rather than
CPU.

..... and just for the hell of it I've just changed my settings from....

.....10 x, 333 FSB strap, 333 FSB, DDR2-800 and default vcore to...

.... 7.5 x, 400 FSB strap, 450 FSB, DDR2-900 and still on default vcore.

(I tried 7 x 500 but it didn't like it, I think because the mimimum RAM
speed on this board is = to FSB and I only have Transcend RAM rated for
DDR2-800. 450 FSB is it for me unless I buy faster RAM.)

I've only increased the CPU speed by a little, from 3.33 to 3.37 but the
vcore reading by CPU-Z in Windows has gone up from 1.28 to 1.34V (I'm not
sure I like how these modern fandangled CPUs change their own vcore, I've
disabled all the Intel CPU power-saving stuff in BIOS...)

The CPU benches a bit better at this setting (probably why the vcore has
gone up, it's doing more work) and I'm sure the RAM is better at 450 than it
was at 400... Also CPU FSB and RAM are now synchronous.

I can't seem to stop playing.... It's a good job I have a computer to do it
with and not just myself. I do like my hardware. ;-)
--
Shaun.

Old August 26th 08, 05:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:

I can't seem to stop playing.... It's a good job I have a computer to
do it with and not just myself. I do like my hardware. ;-)

Oh dear, it seems that I've scared everyone off with that comment.

It was written as, while I was typing I was reminded of my first ever "geek
joke":

Q: What's the difference between computers and sex?

A: With computers, the software goes into the hardware....

Yeah, I didn't think it was that funny either, it just came to mind is all.
--
Shaun.