Do I qualify for a XP upgrade?

Old September 22nd 05, 02:39 PM

Default Do I qualify for a XP upgrade?

I think at one time DELL was giving free upgrades when a new operating
system came out. I have a DELL PIII T-450 and was wondering if I
qualify for an XP upgrade from Dell.

Thanks

LEESA

Old September 22nd 05, 02:59 PM
Pen

No. The only upgrades were for computers bought shortly
before the release of
windows XP. Form example the machine I bought on 5/1/01 did
not qualify,
while the one I bought on 8/1/01 came with a certificate to
get XP for $20.

oups.com...

Old September 22nd 05, 03:18 PM

Oh my, I guess I don't qualify. I got my PC back in early 1999. It is
a Dimension T-450 PII with Win98se on it. I guess I'll be heading out
to Staples and shelling out the $80 bucks for the upgrade.

Thanks

LEESA (I)

Old September 22nd 05, 03:28 PM
Tom Scales

Leesa,

I wouldn't do that. You're barely at the minimum. I'd suggest a clean
install of 98. It's a good operating system and will run more comfortably
on your machine.

Tom
ups.com...

Old September 22nd 05, 03:49 PM

Thanks... 256 mb of RAM.... BTW, the whole reason I am considering an
upgrade is because all of a sudden, I cannot start my computer.

When I start it up... I enter my password and it will load for a
little while then I get this error message...

The MSVCRT.DLL file is linked to
missing export NTDLL.DLL:RTLGetNTversionnumbers.

I Googled that and the fix is a little complicated. Evidently I need
to somehow get that file, and either put it on a floppy and install it
or I need to EXTRACT it from a Win98 CD.

Since I probably will be putting the XP upgrade on hold... I have a few
more questions.

1 -- Do I need to install BOTH of these files, or just the first one?
There seems to be conflicting information about this.

2 -- Can I extract these files from an XP disk, just in case I cannot
get ahold of a 98se disk? If I can... how would I go about extracting
it from an XP disk?

Thank You again.

Leesa

Old September 22nd 05, 04:09 PM
William P. N. Smith

Notan wrote:
Again, how much memory?

From another thread, 256M.

I'm with Tom, it _can_ be upgraded but it's probably not worth it. $80
for the OS upgrade, $100 for more memory, $100 for a new hard drive,
and you are most of the way to a new low-end machine that's 10X as
good/fast the one you have today.

Save your lunch money till you can afford a new one.