Power Supply Failure?

Old October 18th 17, 07:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default Power Supply Failure?

Hi,

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, circa 2012, running VistaHP x86,
belonging to my 93 year-old mother-in-law. She called me to day and said
"It's broken".

The power button does nothing. When I hold in the power button, there's no
sound whatsoever. The fan in the back of the power supply does not spin,
but the little green light on the back of the power supply does glow green,
When unplugged, the light goes out. Other than that, nothing makes a
sound, and nothing else occurs.

Here's the power supply:

https://postimg.org/image/4hdxxqbwkr/

Sound like a PS issue?

TIA

Old October 18th 17, 09:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Wade Garrett

On 10/18/17 2:29 PM, Boris wrote:
Hi,

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, circa 2012, running VistaHP x86,
belonging to my 93 year-old mother-in-law. She called me to day and said
"It's broken".

The power button does nothing. When I hold in the power button, there's no
sound whatsoever. The fan in the back of the power supply does not spin,
but the little green light on the back of the power supply does glow green,
When unplugged, the light goes out. Other than that, nothing makes a
sound, and nothing else occurs.

Here's the power supply:

https://postimg.org/image/4hdxxqbwkr/

Sound like a PS issue?

TIA

For Pete's sake, get her a new computer with a decent operating system.

Sellers like NewEgg or MicroCenter have loads of nice ones for just a
few hundred bucks.

If money is tight, check out the refurbs NewEgg sells. I've picked up
several over the years and they all have been good.

And if you read the ad descriptions very carefully, you can identify the
ones that are in fact new but have been sitting in a distributor's
warehouse for a year of so and the manufacturer forces him to call them
refurb.

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
Old October 18th 17, 09:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Wade Garrett wrote in
news
On 10/18/17 2:29 PM, Boris wrote:
[...]

Oh, please. Calm down.

You don't get it, do you?

Money's not an object. Learning a new OS is very big deal for someone
who is completely pc illiterate. All she uses it for is Solitaire and
email. And she doesn't write email, she only reads it.

She also has a laptop running that ancient OS, Windows 7. It's used for
email and solitaire.

I'm familiar withe the 'refurb' market and have owned many, but all from
Dell Outlet. Never disappointed.

Old October 18th 17, 10:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve

On 18/10/2017 19:29, Boris wrote:
Hi,

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, circa 2012, running VistaHP x86,
belonging to my 93 year-old mother-in-law. She called me to day and said
"It's broken".

The power button does nothing. When I hold in the power button, there's no
sound whatsoever. The fan in the back of the power supply does not spin,
but the little green light on the back of the power supply does glow green,
When unplugged, the light goes out. Other than that, nothing makes a
sound, and nothing else occurs.

Here's the power supply:

https://postimg.org/image/4hdxxqbwkr/

Sound like a PS issue?

TIA

I doubt if it's a PS failure, if there's a green light on the back. It
could be a single faulty component which is preventing a power up, or it
could be a faulty motherboard.

If you have the time, I would recommend you try removing one component
at a time from the PC and then try powering on. E.g. unplug the CD-ROM's
power and data cables, see if it powers up. If it doesn't, replace the
cables and remove the hard disk cables and see if it powers up then.
Just remove one thing at a time and if it still doesn't power up after
you tried removing each one in turn, then remove everything from the PC,
all components, PCI cards, until there's just the power connector and
the front panel switch plugged into the motherboard. If there's still
nothing then, you probably need a new motherboard. You could get one
from eBay.

Steve
Old October 19th 17, 12:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Steve wrote in news
[...]

Hmmm...had no idea it could be other components if the power supply fan
wouldn't go on. However, motherboard was my second guess.

I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks much.
Old October 19th 17, 02:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Boris, the power supply is a BESTEC, one of the worst ever. HP and eMachines used them, and some dolt in Dell's purchasing department made the decision to buy them for use in Inspiron 530s and other machines.

Bestec power supplies have a terrible feature. If a Bestec power supply fails, it sometimes takes the motherboard out along with itself. If you are lucky, the 530 motherboard will still be good.

First step, since you do not want to retrain your elderly mother-in-law, is to replace the power supply. The form factor is generic, so any decent power supply with a 24-pin power connector and 4 SATA connectors will do. DO NOT BUY ANOTHER BESTEC.

If the power supply replacement does not do it, contact me at . I have one or two 530 motherboards that I have pulled from 530 systems taken out of service. Will sell it to you at a modest price + exact shipping.

Old October 19th 17, 03:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 23:08:49 -0000 (UTC), Boris wrote:

Steve wrote in news
[...]

Bulging Caps, probably

BTW could the Green Light be the Network port ? The standby supply runs that
so WOL can function
Old October 19th 17, 02:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Wade Garrett

On 10/18/17 4:57 PM, Boris wrote:
Wade Garrett wrote in
news
On 10/18/17 2:29 PM, Boris wrote:
[...]

You're selling the old girl short. She's far from computer illiterate if
she can find her way around Vista and 7. With a little bit of
instruction, she'd do just fine with a current OS.

Better idea: Why not ditch the computers completely and get her an iPad
instead. She'll love it.

Old October 19th 17, 04:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Steve Urbach wrote in
:

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 23:08:49 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Steve wrote in news
[...]

I'm going to take a close look today. I did have an E520 with bulgers.
BTW, this Inspiron 530 is from 10/30/2008 (not 2012 as I previously
stated).

BTW could the Green Light be the Network port ? The standby supply
runs that so WOL can function

It is part of the power supply case, and not on any other part of the case.
But, it does slowly dim and go out as I pull power.

Thanks.
Old October 19th 17, 04:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Ben Myers wrote in
:

[...]

Hi, there, Ben,

Yes, I do remember Bestec/eMachines. I will stay away from that brand..
BTW, the 530 is from 10/30/2008, not 2012 as I previously thought.

I've got to get my workbench cleaned off today and I'll take the PS out
and see what's available locally.

Thanks.