High temps with the Asus A7N8X

Old April 17th 04, 09:40 PM
SPRITE1001

Default High temps with the Asus A7N8X

Hey hope some might be able to answer this. I just built up a buddys computer
around the A7N8X. The CPU is a 1600+, when running idal Motherboard Monitor
reports the CPU Diode as 42C, and the CPU Socket at 34C. When I run Prime95's
torure test, the Socket temp will only jump a little maybe 3-5 degrees however
the Diode shoots up to 70C in almost no time. I'm unfamiler with the actual
temp these chips are supposd to run with the diode since this tech is pretty
new to me (old hand at this but I've only built a few boards that have the
diode).

The parts are all comming off of an older build fo his (old mainboard went
belly up) so I'm thinking that may be a part of the problem, the CPU
heatsink/fan I belive is a coolmaster, at least thats what the sticker says on
the fan. I noticed when cleaning out the case that the dust factor was HUGE and
the fan on his video card had gotten jammed up (presummidly from the dusk) so
could this be a factor maybe with the heatsink fan not running well? When I
transfered all the parts over I made sure to wipe off the older arctic silver
and apply a new thin coat of it. Right now everthing is running smooth, just
the Prime95 test peaking the temps like that has me a bit concerned.

Thanks any who can answer this
~Arie

System Specs
Mobo: Asus A7N8X
CPU: AMD 1600+
RAM: Kingston 256meg PC2100
Micron 256meg PC2100
Video: Geforce 3
Harddrive: IBM Deskstar
CD-Rom: liteon CDRW
OS: Windows XP Home
Old April 18th 04, 12:41 PM
Stephen Webber

Hello,

SPRITE1001 wrote:
Hey hope some might be able to answer this. I just built up a buddys
computer around the A7N8X. The CPU is a 1600+, when running idal
Motherboard Monitor reports the CPU Diode as 42C, and the CPU Socket
at 34C. When I run Prime95's torure test, the Socket temp will only
jump a little maybe 3-5 degrees however the Diode shoots up to 70C in
almost no time. I'm unfamiler with the actual temp these chips are
supposd to run with the diode since this tech is pretty new to me
(old hand at this but I've only built a few boards that have the
diode).

OK, first of all, if he is running an XP 1600+ then it will be a Palomino
core since I don't recall AMD making any Thoroughbreds at this clock speed
(cue people correcting me ;o) ). Palominos ran hot, much hotter than the
later Thoroughbreds and Bartons, which is why most did not overclock well.

Also, the socket temp is read from the thermistor underneath the CPU. In
other words, it reads the temperature of the air (or underside of the CPU,
depending upon how it is located in the socket) as heated by the CPU core.
So the heat has to have made it from the core, through the ceramic packaging
and then to warm the air. By the time this has happened, some of the heat
will be disipated. Either way, it will take a long time for the temperature
to react to CPU loading changes. The CPU Diode is built into the CPU core
itself. Therefore, any change in CPU loading will immediately make the CPU
work harder and generate more heat. As the diode is an integral part of the
CPU, it will also be heated at the same rate, and measure the temperature of
the CPU far more accurately. Most people reckon that on a good day, the
socket temp will be out by about 10-15°C from the diode temp, and will not
match the rate at which the diode temp changes.

Sorry if I've just taught you to suck eggs, but I never like to assume
knowledge with people. I wait for them to tell me if they've heard it all
before.

--
Regards,
Stephen

Old April 18th 04, 11:16 PM
SPRITE1001

Stephen, thanks for the lesson while I already know the basics of socket vs
diode I know a lot of people still dont. So now that the lession has been
tought, my question still remains. What is the upper limits of heat that this
cpu can reach safely?
Old April 18th 04, 11:29 PM
Stephen Webber

Hello,
SPRITE1001 wrote:
Stephen, thanks for the lesson while I already know the basics of
socket vs diode I know a lot of people still dont. So now that the
lession has been tought, my question still remains.

Oops, sorry. Like I said before, I didn't mean to teach anybody to suck
eggs

What is the upper limits of heat that this cpu can reach safely?

Page 23
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/24309.pdf

But to save you reading it, 90°C.
This is a pretty good link:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...9_3748,00.html

It has technical specs on all the Athlon XP processors.

Hopefully, this will help.

Old April 19th 04, 03:32 AM
SPRITE1001

Cool thank you very much, just one more question. Under a full load, like
Prime95 does, what should I expect this CPU's diode to hit in temps? Generaly I
prefer not to run a CPU close to its max heat for fairly obvious reasons. The
case is an Enlight 7237, with dual case fans, one HD, one CD drive, Vidcard and
Mobo.

Thanks
Old April 19th 04, 08:28 AM
Charles C. Drew

I don't know if this surprises anyone or not but my PC (AMD Athlon XP 2500+)
is running on this systemboard with a 350 watt power supply at 52°C and
using about 290 watts (as told by my APC UPS software). This power supply
came with my case and had the standard 1 fan.

I replaced it when it burned out with a 430 watt power supply that had 3
fans (one out the rear, one pulling hot air from the center of the case
where the CPU is, and one from the front of the power supply). The
temperature changed to 43°C and the system's power usage dropped to 258
watts.

I was surprised to discover this myself. I would suspect two factors played
in this change...

1) A higher rated power supply more easily feed my PC reducing current
resistance, heat generated and power consumption.
2) The 2 extra fans drawing heat from the case helped reduce operating
temperature further.

These change should reduce my electricity bill a few pennies and make my PC
more stable (because of lower operating temperatures). Wahoo!!!

"Stephen Webber" wrote in
message ...

Asus a7n8x and Matrox G400 VP General 1 January 31st 04 03:11 AM
Asus A7N8X Deluxe or Abit NF7-S Which? Choosing a MB. James Paraskeva Overclocking AMD Processors 11 November 26th 03 06:16 PM
T-Bred 2600+ & ASUS A7N8X v2.0 Wayne Youngman Overclocking AMD Processors 4 October 24th 03 09:02 AM
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe USB Questions (long) Space--Coyote Overclocking AMD Processors 0 July 25th 03 01:18 PM
Random reboot on asus a7n8x deluxe Bob Overclocking AMD Processors 2 June 24th 03 09:51 PM