PA-2013 spontaneous rebooting

Old December 30th 05, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt

Default PA-2013 spontaneous rebooting

Hi Group!
It's been a long time, but circumstances have caused me to resurrect my
PA-2013, running Win98SE with a K6-2+ 500 Mhz slightly overclocked to 550.
Was stable like this for years, then had quality RAM apparently go bad. RAM
replaced and was alright again but now spontaneously rebooting.
I kinda suspect the power supply as this board has always consumed them at a
fair rate. But I'd like other opinions. Possible slight complication is
that I'm now running the machine off a diesel generator, not mains supply.
Odd thing too is that after the reboot I get an immediate Windows protection
error message before it reboots again...
Ideas anyone, like how best to test the PSU (I have a couple of others I
could try)?
Thanks in advance,
Leachim Sredna

Old December 30th 05, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt

"anders.michael" wrote:

I kinda suspect the power supply as this board has always consumed
them at a fair rate. But I'd like other opinions. Possible slight
complication is that I'm now running the machine off a diesel
generator,

BZZZT
Try a line conditioner/regulator that can be used with other systems
as well, don't waste your money on a new power supply until you know
whether or not the power supply is being fed properly. Already
having a good-quality power supply and adding a line conditioner, my
spontaneous reboot problem disappeared.

Good luck.

Old December 31st 05, 10:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt

Tnx John. I meanwhile backed off the BIOS settings, basically using the
setup defaults, and whaddya know, after a few strange hiccups everything now
*appears* hunkydory again. We'll see...

Old December 31st 05, 03:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt

"anders.michael" anders.michael wanadoo.fr wrote:

Tnx John. I meanwhile backed off the BIOS settings, basically
using the setup defaults, and whaddya know, after a few strange
hiccups

After a few strange hickups? What settings? Are you talking about
changed settings it was working fine with before?

everything now *appears* hunkydory again.

Does it *appear* hunkydory for the same amount of time or longer than
it appeared hunkydory between spontaneous reboots before?

From: "anders.michael" anders.michael wanadoo.fr
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.hardware.p c-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: PA-2013 spontaneous rebooting
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:31:55 +0100

"John Doe" jdoe usenet.love.invalid a ‚crit dans le message de news:
Xns973C99988833Efollydom 207.115.17.102...