6800 - black screen

Old May 6th 07, 04:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Marnok.com

Default 6800 - black screen

Anyone got any advice?

Using leadtek A400 ultra for a few months with no problems.

Today I got a "low power" warning so I rebooted and pushed both power
connectors in.

Rebooted fine, but after a few moments I got a black screen.

Nothing I could do - screen stayed black and monitor reported no signal
after multiple reboots.

Is it dead? Can I do anything with it? I've removed it from PC now and can't
see anything wrong, but I suspect any damage would be under the heatsink
anyway.

http://www.marnok.com

Old May 7th 07, 06:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bob Brown INC.

On Sun, 6 May 2007 16:03:17 +0100, "Marnok.com"
wrote:

Anyone got any advice?

I gots a 6800 and it SUCKS, not just a little It sucks big, sucks on
wheels.

As soon as you get the last DOLLAR needed to buy ANOTHER card i'd do
so.

I'm never going 'mid-range' in price again, NEVER!

No more Budget crap, to hell with that!

I'l scrimp on the case style and that is
all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so tired of being sold junk, someone should RMA those companies
something other than the product, maybe a box of vasoline or crude
oil?

Old May 7th 07, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

wrote:

Anyone got any advice?

I gots a 6800 and it SUCKS, not just a little It sucks big, sucks on
wheels.

As soon as you get the last DOLLAR needed to buy ANOTHER card i'd do
so.

I'm never going 'mid-range' in price again, NEVER!

No more Budget crap, to hell with that!

I'l scrimp on the case style and that is
all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so tired of being sold junk, someone should RMA those companies
something other than the product, maybe a box of vasoline or crude
oil?

I had a very good, long term gaming relationship with a 6800GT and it
was a great card for the software of its time.

That you might be a demanding player Bob, is no discredit to you, but
you still have to be a smart shopper and make those dollars count. More
dollars doesn't automatically equal better performance, and certainly
not in relation to the extra dollars spent. You still need to read
reviews and find the best bang for your buck for the specific game(s)
you will be running.

What I'm saying is that you can get a good gaming experience from a
mid-range priced current card as long as you keep the resolutions
moderate, such as 1024x768 or 1280x1024.

Don't let your frustrations hurt your wallet...there's a lot of over
priced 8-series cards, lurking. I wouldn't trade my primary 7-series
card in for any 8-series card in its price range right now, but there is
ample improvement over the 6-series to be had.
Old May 8th 07, 12:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Corvus

"Marnok.com" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Anyone got any advice?

Using leadtek A400 ultra for a few months with no problems.

Today I got a "low power" warning so I rebooted and pushed both power
connectors in.

Rebooted fine, but after a few moments I got a black screen.

Nothing I could do - screen stayed black and monitor reported no signal
after multiple reboots.

Is it dead? Can I do anything with it? I've removed it from PC now and
can't see anything wrong, but I suspect any damage would be under the
heatsink anyway.

http://www.marnok.com

I have a Leadtek 6800gt AGP, and the following might not apply to the later
PCIe versions, as their heatsinks were modified somehow to allow SLI
configurations:
The backplate of the HS rests upon the bigger SMD caps (around one dozen) on
the back, with a thin, transparent insulation foil in between. Pressure upon
the backplate could perforate the foil, shorting circuits, and application
of sideways pressure could scrape the caps off the PCB. Also the PCB can
bend, with GPU and HS losing contact, as there are only flat components
under the GPU, giving room to bend right at the most critical location. Very
silly concept. U can take the plate off and check for missing caps and foil
damage.

Old May 8th 07, 06:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bob Brown INC.

On Mon, 07 May 2007 17:02:27 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"
Let everyone including the NSAs Internet
database storage program know as they typed on their keyboard faster
than a monkey on crack the following:

wrote:

[...]

Not those ones we all know but:We need to gather all the opinions,
reviews and benchmarks[self test and user submitted] to make a chart
of all kinds of hardware. An ultimate comparison chart!

Something like SETI where data is collected, say for 24hrs, then sent
to a server and the program terminates and uninstalls on the users
permission. All that data comming in, contiuing to grow, and suddenly
are realistic comparison of hardware.

It would work but people would bitch about the software being
installed. It would only be for a time the user allowed, a range fro
24hrs-user choice.

oh well.
Guess we can just waste some more money, sounds better

Old May 8th 07, 07:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rev. G.G. Willikers

wrote:

[...]

Bob your funny.

My XFX 6800XT works great. Not one problem.
I run that Badboy on BF2 for hours at a time , not one hiccup.

Maybe you need to kick yourself a little harder.

As with most problems computer related, the problem is usually between
the chair and the keyboard.

Old May 8th 07, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bob Brown INC.

On Tue, 08 May 2007 02:20:41 -0400, "Rev. G.G. Willikers "

wrote:

[...]

That is funny, the char keyboard line.
That should be in every manual. It would **** people off though. Maybe
they put a 'LOL' or JK at the end and people wouldn't get mad.