How do I manage to start up with Win XP installation CD from scratch?

Old June 24th 03, 12:00 AM
M Shafaat

Default How do I manage to start up with Win XP installation CD from scratch?

Hi all,
I have a new PC which can be started up with Win XP installation CD before
any operating program, any CD drivers or other programs are installed.

I want to know how I can make my older PC to do the same. My older machine,
purchased in Sep 1999, is a Pentium 3 450 MHz which I want to rebuild or
reconfigure to be able to install an operating system on it without a lot of
trouble with installing DOS and then Win 3.1 and then Win 98, . When I
bought this PC, I also purchased Win 98 SE, together with which I also got a
special CD for starting the machine before any operating program was
installed. But I have never succeeded to manage that, so the starting CD
have been unused until now.

Any idea about how to get there?
Regards,
M Shafaat
2003-06-24

Old June 24th 03, 02:25 AM
M Shafaat

Hi again,
What does a bootable CD mean? Does it mean that the CD drive must fulfil
some requirements besides the compact disk also must be bootable? I have
installed a very new CD drive into the machine. Aren't all new CD drives
bootable? Are there any requirements on the motherboard or other parts of
the system for the machine to be bootable from the CD?

Regards
M Shafaat
2003-06-24

"Steve" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
[...]

Your BIOS should be set to boot from cd first, providing said cd is
bootable...failing that, why not just create a startup/bootdisk and boot
from the floppy and install from there?

see
www.bootdisk.com for more....
--