Does Intel sell processors/chipsets without AMT/ME/SMM ?

Old September 18th 15, 01:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Does Intel sell processors/chipsets without AMT/ME/SMM ?

Hello,

Here a question from a girly (not me):

Does Intel sell (recent) chipsets/processors without AMT/ME/SMM ?

I like to add to that: Without JAVA/ThreadX/RTOS ?

I think these technologies are unnecessary for home/desktop computers and
form an unnecessary security/privacy risk !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 18th 15, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Paul

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Hello,

Here a question from a girly (not me):

Does Intel sell (recent) chipsets/processors without AMT/ME/SMM ?

I like to add to that: Without JAVA/ThreadX/RTOS ?

I think these technologies are unnecessary for home/desktop computers
and form an unnecessary security/privacy risk !

Bye,
Skybuck.

AMD for the win.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz 10,885
AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core 7,650

That's not such a bad tradeoff. it's only
a little bit slower. And uses an entirely
different chipset.

Now, look up your current CPU performance in the
charts, and compare to see the level of improvement.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Paul
Old September 18th 15, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

"
AMD for the win.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz 10,885
AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core 7,650

That's not such a bad tradeoff. it's only
a little bit slower. And uses an entirely
different chipset.

Now, look up your current CPU performance in the
charts, and compare to see the level of improvement.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Paul
"

Ok thanks a lot Paul, this could be a nice solution for me ?!

I'd have to be sure that there isn't something else in it.

AMD does seem to be working on it's own OpenAMT for the future or so ?!

So that concerns me a little bit... if I were to wait for Zen (the
processor) =D

I will definetly look further into AMD's offerings since I really do want a
faster PC.

Though I'd also like somewhat faster single core. I am not sure AMD offers
fast single core performance with their multi-core chips.

I'd also like to know if Intel has any offerings without AMT and such... or
if it's a one shoe fits all policy over there ?! =D That would suck... I
hope Intel reconsiders for the future for their sake !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 18th 15, 02:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

"
AMD for the win.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz 10,885
AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core 7,650
"

Ok nice, AMD has 3.6 GHz core clock !

Should be more than sufficient to run some older games faster !

Max TDP 125 watt might be somewhat on the high side.

TDP 91 might still be accepable since that's what my current processor
has...

Though I was kinda hoping to get a cooler one and thus less noise.

I have seen some other AMD's which are around 91 watts hmm will have to take
a look again !

Unless maybe TDP 125 watts easier to cool thanks to cooling improvements ?
But I don't think there are any cooling improvements ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 18th 15, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

These ones look nice:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/compar...28&ty pe5=CPU

But surprise surprise I see kind of an "ouch" at the bottom:

No AES support ? Hmmm...

For gaming it doesn't matter that much... but it would have been nice to
have... hmmm..

Will have to investigate further to see what else they may or may not have !

Question though: why no AES on these AMD processors ???

Perhaps more cores thanks to it missing ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 18th 15, 02:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Oh wait it's kinda coming back to me... these not really 8-core but ok...

I guess I may have to settle for a 4-core anyway... or maybe one of them
6-cores...

So for the Fx 8310 has caught my eye... a 4 core processor pretending to be
an 8-core.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 18th 15, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

This processor seems also interesting:

AMD FX-6300, 3,5 GHz

It seems to have truely 6 cores ?

Not sure not... investigating...

For a core to be a true core it should have:

1. It's own L1 instruction and L1 data cache
2. It's own instruction decoder
3. It's own integer ALU
4. It's own floating point ALU

And so forth !

Basically a complete processor in a single core !

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old September 18th 15, 03:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Quite an amazing video:

The 4/8 core version is faster than the 6 core version.

Still not 100% convinced that this would be under all workloads...

But for now it seems to be nice for gaming and video rendering and stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dLYPs41guM

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old September 18th 15, 03:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Marcel

Skybuck Flying wrote:

Hello,

Here a question from a girly (not me):

Does Intel sell (recent) chipsets/processors without AMT/ME/SMM ?

I like to add to that: Without JAVA/ThreadX/RTOS ?

I think these technologies are unnecessary for home/desktop

computers and
form an unnecessary security/privacy risk !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Spreek Nederlands, verdomme!!!!
Dit is een nl nieuwsgroep!!!!!!
--
AMD A8-3800/4 Gb DDR3/HDD 750Gb - Register Linux User 557318 -
https://linuxcounter.net/