co-processor

Old October 11th 15, 12:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default co-processor

I repaired a mini-pc running Win7 (32bit) and it's running well
but in the control panel it shows no driver for co-processor.

The CPU is an Intel quad core Atom 330

Intel has no such driver on their website (as far as I could determine)
and their driver update tool found nothing missing.

I then thought that *maybe* it was a graphics co-processor so installed
the latest Nvidia drivers for the on-board ION chip...but still no
driver found for "co-processor"

I'm not too worried as it seems to run fine but still I'd like to find
out what driver is missing.
Old October 11th 15, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default Found it

SMB driver
Old October 11th 15, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

philo wrote:
I repaired a mini-pc running Win7 (32bit) and it's running well
but in the control panel it shows no driver for co-processor.

The CPU is an Intel quad core Atom 330

Intel has no such driver on their website (as far as I could determine)
and their driver update tool found nothing missing.

I then thought that *maybe* it was a graphics co-processor so installed
the latest Nvidia drivers for the on-board ION chip...but still no
driver found for "co-processor"

I'm not too worried as it seems to run fine but still I'd like to find
out what driver is missing.

It says here, it's 2C/4T (dual core, hyperthreaded) and consists
of two CPU dice inside a single package (yuck!). Sorta like the
architecture of a Q6600, using the FSB for cache coherency
between CPUs. So that's how they made a dual, without spinning
a completely separate chip for it.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/I...87RE0251M.html

The quad pumped FSB ATOM then connects to the ION. Which as functionality
goes, it's like an old style Northbridge and Southbridge, all in one chip.
I hope this is the correct chip...

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...-review,2.html

There was one other NVidia product that connected via a x1 PCI Express
lane, which wasn't nearly as capable.

There is probably a jumbo NVidia driver package for
a thing like that, with tick boxes for which
driver you want to install.

The ION supports dual channel memory, and the SMBUS would
be for reading the SPD chip on the DIMMs. It should have
an LPC (low pin count) nibble wide bus for other stuff,
but that level of detail isn't in the picture above.

Paul
Old October 11th 15, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 10/11/2015 11:54 AM, Paul wrote:
philo wrote:
[...]

Thanks

and now that I have all the drivers in place I see there is another
problem in that analog audio is not working

HDMI seems to be fine but since I have no HDMI playback devices I can't
test it.

Wish I could figure out how to get analog audio going

will continue to poke around
Old October 11th 15, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default machine now 100%

and now that I have all the drivers in place I see there is another
problem in that analog audio is not working

HDMI seems to be fine but since I have no HDMI playback devices I can't
test it.

Wish I could figure out how to get analog audio going

will continue to poke around

It was a well hidden BIOS setting