Socket 771 Xeon in Socket 775?

Old September 4th 15, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Default Socket 771 Xeon in Socket 775?

I've been trying to do this using a 'modded' Xeon that I bought from
AliExpress (essentially has one of those stickers micro-glued in place and
cut down so it's just over the two transposed lands and has a second set of
grooves cut in periphery to fit socket). I've tried it in two mobos now, at
least one of which is on the whitelist of mobos that will work with this mod
and neither even get to BIOS.

However when I read up on it I see instructions for unpacking BIOS,
inserting CPU microcode, repacking and reflashing the mobo. Is this a "must
do" step? If so it wasn't made clear and I'm a bit miffed. That sort of
thing isn't my forte and I know how easy it is to brick a mobo by flashing a
bad image.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old September 4th 15, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

~misfit~ wrote:
I've been trying to do this using a 'modded' Xeon that I bought from
AliExpress (essentially has one of those stickers micro-glued in place and
cut down so it's just over the two transposed lands and has a second set of
grooves cut in periphery to fit socket). I've tried it in two mobos now, at
least one of which is on the whitelist of mobos that will work with this mod
and neither even get to BIOS.

However when I read up on it I see instructions for unpacking BIOS,
inserting CPU microcode, repacking and reflashing the mobo. Is this a "must
do" step? If so it wasn't made clear and I'm a bit miffed. That sort of
thing isn't my forte and I know how easy it is to brick a mobo by flashing a
bad image.

Cheers,

As far as I know, "microcode" and "recognition" are
two separate issues.

The CPU support chart for your motherboard, shows the
minimum BIOS revision to recognize a CPU. That means
the BIOS uses the various special instructions for
CPUID, and makes sure it knows what the processor is,
what register to read for voltage or multiplier and so on.

Microcode on the other hand, is for repairing bugs
in the CPU design. It's possible a computer might
still boot, if no microcode is loaded. The Intel PIU
utility, the "revision" field is in fact the output
of the current microcode revision loaded. At T=0,
the revision field is 0. The BIOS microcode loaded,
loads a 2KB segment into the CPU. The CPU verifies
the microcode is for usage with that specific processor,
otherwise the patch is rejected. Maybe after the BIOS
is finished, the revision field is 0x04. (Intel is
constantly releasing new revisions, when more bugs
are discovered in testing.)

Now, Windows boots. Windows has mcupdate, a microcode
loader service. It runs early in boot, and attempts to
load microcode. To be accepted, the microcode has to be
a greater revision than the BIOS installed one.
So now perhaps, Windows installed 0x07 revision microcode.

If you use the Intel PIU utility at this point, it would
report 0x07 while you're sitting in the Windows desktop.

When some Microsoft service pack was failing, one of the
symptoms was that the microcode revision was zero. Implying
nothing was patching the CPU.

Anyway, that's just a bit of history on microcode. It
doesn't seem to be the same as the recognition problem.
And the CPUSupport chart for the motherboard is where
you would look for inspiration there.

*******

To give another example of "recngnition" versus "microcode".
I attempted to put a Tualatin into my 440BX board. I used
a slocket to convert to S370 format. I changed the
voltage regulator on the motherboard, to give 1.5V
for the CPU (instead of 1.75V).

OK, so when the computer starts, the BIOS reports I have
just installed a "Pentium II", which is utter ********.
It's actually closer to Pentium III era. So the recognition
is failing, but nobody got hurt. I don't know if any
OSes were relying on that identification for anything
important. As far as I know, modern OSes run their
own recognition code, duplicating the effort the BIOS
put in.

I used a separate tool to install Microcode. It turns
out one of the BIOS companies, it has a BIOS call for
installing microcode without disturbing the main BIOS
code block. But both AMI and Award don't have this, only
one of them implemented a microcode cache. You could
load the cache manually, and the cache would remember
the 2KB block, until the day comes that you change
out the processor. And then the cache contents get
wiped.

I would work on the recognition problem first. While
in theory, a processor with errata could die at
BIOS level, usually they're bug free enough that
they work in the BIOS. (Otherwise, the motherboard
company would have a hard time releasing the
first revision of motherboard.)

The other possibility, is the CPU is not contacting
the socket properly. I'm not up on this mod, and
I don't know what needs to be disconnected or connected
to make it work. I did a similar kind of socket mod,
to isolate a BSEL signal on my $65 LGA775 board,
and used the insulation off a piece of wire to
cover one of the LGA775 pins. I did the research for
that myself, so know what it's for. I don't know what
needs modding to use that particular Xeon. No idea.

Paul
Old September 4th 15, 08:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Once upon a time on usenet Paul wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
I've been trying to do this using a 'modded' Xeon that I bought from
AliExpress (essentially has one of those stickers micro-glued in
place and cut down so it's just over the two transposed lands and
has a second set of grooves cut in periphery to fit socket). I've
tried it in two mobos now, at least one of which is on the whitelist
of mobos that will work with this mod and neither even get to BIOS.

Just to correct this; The machine I tried it in was a Lenovo M58p, the
machine that's on the whitelist is an M58e.

[...]

Interesting, thanks. Th eonly reason I was using the term 'microcode' is
that's the term used in the guides I read for unpacking, modifying then
repacking BIOS firmware to then flash to the mobo.

*******

To give another example of "recngnition" versus "microcode".
I attempted to put a Tualatin into my 440BX board. I used
a slocket to convert to S370 format. I changed the
voltage regulator on the motherboard, to give 1.5V
for the CPU (instead of 1.75V).

OK, so when the computer starts, the BIOS reports I have
just installed a "Pentium II", which is utter ********.
It's actually closer to Pentium III era. So the recognition
is failing, but nobody got hurt. I don't know if any
OSes were relying on that identification for anything
important. As far as I know, modern OSes run their
own recognition code, duplicating the effort the BIOS
put in.

Heh! I did a bit of that 'Tualatin in board designed for Coppermine' thing
myself. In the end I was using a couple of those "Slot T" adapters for slot
CPUs http://duhvoodooman.com/powrleap/lfl/slot-t_1.htm and I even had a
'Socket U' (?) thing made by the same company that enaled use in Socket 370.
For ages my best result was a 1.1 GHz Tualatin Celeron running on a 133 MHz
FSB for 1.46 GHz. At the time it outperformed the affordable P4s available.
The I got a Pentium IIIs and that was great!

That's one of the times I've seen a BIOS display "Unknown CPU at xxx MHz"
then continue to boot and run flawlessly.

I used a separate tool to install Microcode. It turns
out one of the BIOS companies, it has a BIOS call for
installing microcode without disturbing the main BIOS
code block. But both AMI and Award don't have this, only
one of them implemented a microcode cache. You could
load the cache manually, and the cache would remember
the 2KB block, until the day comes that you change
out the processor. And then the cache contents get
wiped.

I would work on the recognition problem first. While
in theory, a processor with errata could die at
BIOS level, usually they're bug free enough that
they work in the BIOS. (Otherwise, the motherboard
company would have a hard time releasing the
first revision of motherboard.)

Thanks for the info.

The other possibility, is the CPU is not contacting
the socket properly. I'm not up on this mod, and
I don't know what needs to be disconnected or connected
to make it work.

This is the CPU that I bought.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Intel...377080130.html
For reference a second-hand Q9550 is about NZ$100 if you can get one. As
they're still a very capable CPU they almost never come on the market.

I did a similar kind of socket mod,
to isolate a BSEL signal on my $65 LGA775 board,
and used the insulation off a piece of wire to
cover one of the LGA775 pins. I did the research for
that myself, so know what it's for. I don't know what
needs modding to use that particular Xeon. No idea.

I did that BSEL mod on a 775 CPU also. I used a tiny bit of sticky tape.

So after trying the Xeon in a Dell Precision T3400 and the Lenovo M58p I dug
out my only other spare Socket 775 motherboard, a Gigabyte G41M - Combo. I
checked the CPU suport list
http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/support-do....aspx?pid=3505
and it supports similar-specced C2Qs, even the 130w TDP versions (althogh
the VRM section doesn't seem *that* beefy). I sat it on the workbench and
connected up a PSU and a small panel with power and reset switches, power
and HDD LEDs and a piezo beeper that I still have from my benchtesting days.
I fitted a stick of RAM, put the Xeon in the socket, some paste and a cooler
and fired it up.

Imagine my surprise when it not only posted but correctly recognised the CPU
as a Xeon E5462! Awesome.

Now my only issue is that I don't have a case to put it in. I had a big
clear out a while back when there was a chance I might have to move house (I
rent). It physically fits the Lenovo case but the connectors for the front
switches and LEDs aren't industry standard - as you might imagine. Also
there's little in the way of airflow around the single HDD bay (one of the
reasons it wasn't in use). Still I can work with it. At least I didn't waste
my money on the Xeon and I just have rather more work to do than I'd hoped.

Cheers,

Old September 4th 15, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jon Danniken[_8_]

On 09/04/2015 12:31 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:

So after trying the Xeon in a Dell Precision T3400 and the Lenovo M58p I dug
out my only other spare Socket 775 motherboard, a Gigabyte G41M - Combo. I
checked the CPU suport list
http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/support-do....aspx?pid=3505
and it supports similar-specced C2Qs, even the 130w TDP versions (althogh
the VRM section doesn't seem *that* beefy). I sat it on the workbench and
connected up a PSU and a small panel with power and reset switches, power
and HDD LEDs and a piezo beeper that I still have from my benchtesting days.
I fitted a stick of RAM, put the Xeon in the socket, some paste and a cooler
and fired it up.

Imagine my surprise when it not only posted but correctly recognised the CPU
as a Xeon E5462! Awesome.

Glad you finally found had some success with yours. I did the mod on my
Gigabyte EP-DS3L last year, modifying both the socket and the BIOS, and
I was successful in getting it to work with a Xeon E5450. I wasn't
able to overclock it without pushing the voltages beyond what I was
comfortable with, but I'm still happy with the extra two cores compared
to the C2D that had previously.

In case you didn't already have it bookmarked, there is a big honking
thread about it at:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431723/m...a771-xeon-cpus
, which has a lot of different input regarding different boards that
people have found to work (or not work).

I used the tools available from:

http://www.delidded.com/how-to-updat...-phoenix-bios/

to modify my BIOS. I modded the latest BIOS available for my board, and
yes, I was nervous as hell during the flashing process.

Jon

Old September 5th 15, 02:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Once upon a time on usenet Jon Danniken wrote:
On 09/04/2015 12:31 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:

So after trying the Xeon in a Dell Precision T3400 and the Lenovo
M58p I dug out my only other spare Socket 775 motherboard, a
Gigabyte G41M - Combo. I checked the CPU suport list
http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/support-do....aspx?pid=3505
and it supports similar-specced C2Qs, even the 130w TDP versions
(althogh the VRM section doesn't seem *that* beefy). I sat it on the
workbench and connected up a PSU and a small panel with power and
reset switches, power and HDD LEDs and a piezo beeper that I still
have from my benchtesting days. I fitted a stick of RAM, put the
Xeon in the socket, some paste and a cooler and fired it up.

Imagine my surprise when it not only posted but correctly recognised
the CPU as a Xeon E5462! Awesome.

Glad you finally found had some success with yours.

Thanks Jon.

I did the mod on
my Gigabyte EP-DS3L last year, modifying both the socket and the
BIOS, and I was successful in getting it to work with a Xeon E5450.
I wasn't able to overclock it without pushing the voltages beyond
what I was comfortable with, but I'm still happy with the extra two
cores compared to the C2D that had previously.

Yeah, the extra cores and L2 cache was my main goal.

Actually the full story is that this second computer of mine is used mainly
for a friend gaming. I'm an invalid who is largely unable to do physical
stuff and she comes and stays for a couple of days every week or so and does
some housework for me. In return I set her up with a mid-level gaming
computer for her home and beefed up my 'spare' so she can play when she's
here. Both my spare and her main PCs were ex-corporate Dell T3400s that ran
E8400s.

(My main PC is an ASUS P5Ke-WiFi AP / QX9650 / 8 G / 120 GB SSD machine, my
last full build that was started in '07 with a lowly E4500 / 2 G with the
intent of being upgradeable and durable - so far so good. Since then with my
declining health and financial situation I've found it far better to buy ex
corporate machines, there are real bargains to be had. However they're not
very upgradeable and I run into issues with proprietary BIOS and
components.)

A while back I got the chance to buy a PC that was running a Q9550 very
cheaply - cheaply enough that I could swap the CPU for the E8400 in my
second machine and then on-sell it without loss. Since then the game we both
play (Path of Exile), while not being hugely demanding of GPU (it's coded in
DX9) has become more CPU-intensive - to the point where she was noticing my
spare computer was running better than her computer despite her having an HD
7770 and my spare having a HD 5670.

So, apprecative of the help she gives me, I promised her a Q9550. However
I've been unable to source one that I can afford so went the modded Xeon
E5462 route. Essentially an identical CPU as far as fab size, speed, FSB,
multi and L2 cache goes. I was hoping to drop it into my Dell T3400 (a brick
outhouse of a computer, extremely well built and reliable) and give her my
Q9550 - job done. Now, as the Gigabyte mobo doesn't fit the Dell case it
looks like I'm back in the system-building business - at least for my spare
machine.

In case you didn't already have it bookmarked, there is a big honking
thread about it at:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431723/m...a771-xeon-cpus
, which has a lot of different input regarding different boards that
people have found to work (or not work).

Thanks for that, I hadn't found it in my searches. I'll read it properly in
a while.

I used the tools available from:

http://www.delidded.com/how-to-updat...-phoenix-bios/

to modify my BIOS. I modded the latest BIOS available for my board,
and yes, I was nervous as hell during the flashing process.

Thanks. Yes I found that site and, if I'd had to mod a BIOS I intended to
follow instructions there. Thank the gods it doesn't seem like I'll have to
now. Instead I just need to modify a case and find another install key for
W7 64 bit and 'build' an OS the way I like it for this Gigabyte mobo.

I originally put the GA G41M-Combo board aside as I don't like how hot the
NB gets (far too hot to touch, even with the X4500 graphics disabled in
BIOS) and it's hard (impossible so far) to fan cool it - it's a small board.
Even with some CPU fan spill it's still uncomfortably hot. Despite the fact
that I have a drawer full of salvaged CPU and NB heatsinks (that I mainy use
for experimenting with high power LEDs) there's nothing better there that
will fit. I may have to get the hacksaw and drill out and use some of the
morphine I've managed to put aside for when the zombie apocolypse comes.....

Cheers,

Old September 5th 15, 04:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Once upon a time on usenet ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Jon Danniken wrote:

[snip]
In case you didn't already have it bookmarked, there is a big honking
thread about it at:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431723/m...a771-xeon-cpus
, which has a lot of different input regarding different boards that
people have found to work (or not work).

Thanks for that, I hadn't found it in my searches. I'll read it
properly in a while.

Wow! "Big honking thread" is right! 7,839 posts!

The Lenovo M58 is mentioned on page 1 and discussed for the first few
pages - result is it's a no-go.

I haven't done anything further to the board / CPU yet, pain is a hard
taskmaster. However reading some of that thread got me thinking... I
deliberately ordered a CPU with a low-ish TDP as I intended to put it in the
Dell which only handles 80 TDP with the stock heatsink and the design of the
system means it won't take an aftermarket cooler. (There was a heatpipe
cooler option for it so it could handle Q6600s but they're like hen's
teeth.)

Now that I'm not using the Dell I rather wish I'd bought a Xeon designed for
a lower FSB and higher multiplier, the Gigabyte board has overclocking
abilities in the BIOS. That said the VRM section of the board isn't very
impressive and I'm only running a generic 500w PSU (with two 12v rails, one
for the 4-pin CPU power and the other for HDDs, other mobo, GPU etc.). I
have a couple of honking great big Skt 775 heatpipe coolers collecting dust
that *would* fit the Lenovo case.

Oh well, at least the Xeon's working (still only in BIOS so far but it looks
good).

Old September 5th 15, 04:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Seeing a working BIOS screen, is a large step forward.

http://ark.intel.com/products/33084/...z-1600-MHz-FSB

Processor Number E5462
# of Cores 4
Processor Base Frequency 2.8 GHz
TDP 80 W
L2 Cache 12 MB
FSB Speed 1600 MHz

That's a pretty high FSB for your run of the mill LGA775 system.
Not a lot of room to overclock it. It would be a treat
if it was unlocked, but I doubt they'd do that to
the average LGA775 processor. It probably doesn't
leave a lot of room for SpeedStep either. When the
machine is idle, the multiplier might be 6, and
when flat out, the multiplier might be 7. Not a lot
of room there. My E8400 for example, goes from 6x to 9x.
Still not a lot of room.

It would need to be unlocked, to be a "fun" choice.
With that kind of FSB.

Paul
Old September 13th 15, 02:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

I didn't want a 'fun choice' for this machine, just a relatively fast quad
core. However it turns out this E5462 isn't it - the board won't run stably
overclocked (anything over 333 / 1333 is an overclock on this board) so is
currently running at 2.33 GHz.

As the board seems fine with Xeons (BIOS correctly IDed it, Windows 8.1
installed and running well, Prime 95 stable) I've now ordered an E5440 - the
CPU I should have got in the first place.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/INTEL...024572230.html

(That's what happens when I spend most of the day thinking about whether to
get a modded Xeon, then order one quickly last thing before bed. I didn't
look into the details too much, just searched for one that had "Q9550" in
the title. I've complained to AliExpress about the E5462 listing title being
misleading but it was really my fault for not reading the 'fine print'.)