No sound from Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H

Old May 28th 08, 04:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jim

Default No sound from Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H

Tried everything including disabling/enabling the hardware, deleting
the drivers etc. etc. but still no sound. The speakers have been
double checked on another system. Control Panel sound and Audio
devices is reporting all hardware devices as working properly. Device
Manager is not showing any problems.

WMP was reporting no sound device found at all initially but after
doing the above it at least acts as if there is some device present
but still ..... silence.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Old May 28th 08, 05:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Jim wrote:
Tried everything including disabling/enabling the hardware, deleting
the drivers etc. etc. but still no sound. The speakers have been
double checked on another system. Control Panel sound and Audio
devices is reporting all hardware devices as working properly. Device
Manager is not showing any problems.

WMP was reporting no sound device found at all initially but after
doing the above it at least acts as if there is some device present
but still ..... silence.

Any suggestions?

TIA

I could be a driver problem (i.e. need KB888111 or KB888111xpsp2 file,
as well as the driver for the specific hardware). But sometimes, it is
an upset of the jack sense stuff, caused by the front panel audio wiring.
You could try disconnecting the front panel audio cable harness, and
then try plugging in the speakers to the green jack on the back of
the computer.

There are very few computer cases which have actual HDaudio front panel
wiring. The vast majority are AC'97 wiring. When you look in the Gigabyte
motherboard manual, there are pinouts shown. For the AC'97 pinout,
you only need a total of five wires. MIC/MIC_PWR/GND for the microphone
jack, and Line_Out_L/Line_out_R/GND for the headphone. The GND on pin 2,
handles ground for both jacks. So really, a total of five wires is all
that should be connected. No other pins should have wires connected
to them. And that means, on an AC'97 wiring harness, the RET_L and RET_R
are not connected to anything. Return signals are not needed, since
HDaudio codecs have more than enough output ports to not need that
trick.

One other thing you can look at, is an option to "disable front panel
jack detection", in the audio control panel(s). That is addressed in
section 5.2.1 of the manual.

If you happened to actually have a computer case, that has an HDaudio
front panel wiring harness, then the last two paragraphs would not
apply. Just the driver thing, in that case.

Paul
Old May 28th 08, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jim

On May 28, 12:09 am, Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Paul.
My case has HDaudio front panel wiring and I have tested with it
connected and not connected. It initially worked with the FP wiring
NOT connected and has never worked with the FP connected. The FP
wiring harness has both a HD and AC'97 connectors. Honestly, I don't
know much about audio (it always just worked!) and will have to read
a bit more. I have reinstalled KB888111 to no avail. My next stop is
the Realtek site.

Thanks again. I will post any updates.
Old May 29th 08, 06:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Pat

Jim - Have you installed XP SP3? I was rebuilding my system with the
same board, and didn't install the sound drivers from the CD that came
with the board before I installed SP3. Once I did that, I couldn't
install the drivers. A search turned up an issue that the installation
for the sound card didn't recognize the SP3 version of Windows as
valid, so was aborting silently. Uninstalling SP3, installing the
drivers and then reinstalling SP3 got my sound back. Good luck! - Pat

On May 28, 7:13*am, Jim wrote:
On May 28, 12:09 am, Paul wrote:

Jim wrote:
[...]

Thanks again. *I will post any updates.- Hide quoted text -