Ebuyer - my first order (longish)

Old December 19th 03, 12:35 PM
Trust No One®

Default Ebuyer - my first order (longish)

Hi All,

Thought I'd share my experience (so far) of my first ever Ebuyer order.

Placed my order with Ebuyer last Saturday, and was given a "deliver by" date
of this morning. Next day was not available understandably due to the "Silly
Season" rush.

The order included a Pioneer A06 writer, and a blowout deal on a used retail
boxed DVD +R/+RW for only ukp 34 (wow!) At the time I ordered there were 38
of these "blowout" DVD writers in stock.

Anyway the order progressed smoothly (with a minor delay for initial credit
card security check) and eventually reached "Goods Allocated" after a couple
of days. By this time the stock of "blowout" DVD writers had fallen rather
alarmingly to 8.

Finally by late Wednesday evening the order reached "Pick in progress".
Unfortunately it stayed this way throughout Thursday (the ship date) and the
early hours of this morning.

Sent an enote this morning then tried their number a bit later (no joy) . I
shortly thereafter received a reply to my enote explaining that there is a 1
to 2 working day backlog in the warehouses for 3 to 5 day delivery orders,
and that I should get the order in the next 2 working days.

I am disappointed (understandably) about the delay but after all it is the
Silly season, and I can fully understand them being stretched due to their
huge popularity. I could easily pop down to my local ****y World, but with
****y World doing the Pioneer A06 at £169.95 compared to just over 100 notes
at Ebuyer, the choice of doing this or enduring the delay is a no-brainer.

I am concerned about the "blowout" DVD writer though. These are now shown as
out of stock on their website with a 99 day lead time Do I stand a chance
of being "bumped" by higher priority customers or does it go by first come
first served? I did place my order when there were quite a few in stock and
3 to 5 day delivery was the only option available.

Anyway I'm keeping my fingers crossed (CityLink notwithstanding - see
http://tinyurl.com/3b4th) that I get my order before Christmas. The
collective prayers of the group would be appreciated

So even though my first order hasn't gone as hoped, I see no reason so far
to bash Ebuyer.

I'll certainly in future follow advice given in the newsgroup to avoid
ordering around the Christmas period where things tend to go a bit crazy. I
would finally suggest though that Ebuyer consider playing music while you
are on hold; the current buzzing noise is terribly annoying

Happy holidays all,

--
Peter X-Files Fan
Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments

Old December 19th 03, 01:01 PM
John Blundell

In article , Trust No One®
writes
Placed my order with Ebuyer last Saturday, and was given a "deliver by" date
of this morning. Next day was not available understandably due to the "Silly
Season" rush.

I had an Ebuyer order, by "standard delivery", scheduled for yesterday,
which duly turned at 4pm yesterday. Have you checked the status of your
order today? By yesterday morning, mine was showing that it was in
transit, and gave a link to City Link, which also showed it in transit.

--
John Blundell
Old December 19th 03, 01:12 PM
Trust No One®

"John Blundell" wrote in message
In article , Trust No One®
writes
Placed my order with Ebuyer last Saturday, and was given a "deliver by"

date
of this morning. Next day was not available understandably due to the

"Silly
Season" rush.

I had an Ebuyer order, by "standard delivery", scheduled for yesterday,
which duly turned at 4pm yesterday. Have you checked the status of your
order today? By yesterday morning, mine was showing that it was in
transit, and gave a link to City Link, which also showed it in transit.

Yep, checked it this morning and had my enote answered this morning.

Still "pick in progess" for all items

I don't mind a delay but I would be aggrieved if I lost out on the "blowout"
DVD +r/rw

Old December 19th 03, 04:06 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Trust No One®" wrote:

Sent an enote this morning then tried their number a bit later (no joy) . I
shortly thereafter received a reply to my enote explaining that there is a 1
to 2 working day backlog in the warehouses for 3 to 5 day delivery orders,
and that I should get the order in the next 2 working days.

I am concerned about the "blowout" DVD writer though. These are now shown as
out of stock on their website with a 99 day lead time Do I stand a chance
of being "bumped" by higher priority customers or does it go by first come
first served? I did place my order when there were quite a few in stock and
3 to 5 day delivery was the only option available.

Not entirely sure but I was under the impression that they allocate
stock when they process the order but "standard service" orders are
left unpicked for 3 days.

That said, I ordered something a couple of weeks ago that was 100
items in stock when I ordered but was mysteriously unavailable when
they came to ship my order several days later.

To be honest I wouldn't trust them for *anything*; a lot of people use
them because they're cheap but the combination of ebuyer + ****tyLink
is so incredibly inept that I wouldn't get your hopes up of getting
anything at all, let alone on time. If your stuff arrives you can
consider yourself lucky and you'll have made a good saving.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old December 22nd 03, 07:01 PM

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:01:14 +0000, John Blundell
wrote:

In article , Trust No One®
writes
Placed my order with Ebuyer last Saturday, and was given a "deliver by" date
of this morning. Next day was not available understandably due to the "Silly
Season" rush.

I had an Ebuyer order, by "standard delivery", scheduled for yesterday,
which duly turned at 4pm yesterday. Have you checked the status of your
order today? By yesterday morning, mine was showing that it was in
transit, and gave a link to City Link, which also showed it in transit.

ebuyer seems determined to ensure that nothing arrives before the "due
date".

Unlike DABS, who shift stuff out the door pronto, even when you opt
for three day delivery, ebuyer send it out "24-hour" delivery, the day
before the three days are up.

I have placed two order this month, both showed this pattern.

Silly really, a day out quicker would get the money in a day earlier.
Maybe they take their money a day early anyway.

I would have gone for DABS, but they don't do the same OEM deal on XP.

MK

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old December 23rd 03, 05:16 PM
Trust No One®

Trust No One® wrote:
Hi All,

Thought I'd share my experience (so far) of my first ever Ebuyer
order.

Happy to post an update that I've now received my order.

CityLink passed by on Monday when I was at work so I popped down to their
depot to collect it this morning.

I was horrified to notice that Citylink had apparently done a spot of clay
pigeon shooting with my package as a large hole (about 1 inch diameter) had
been knocked in the side I signed for the package as UNCHECKED.

The packaging was not that brilliant (a few of those air filled polythene
thingies) and I guess it was pure luck that the unknown implement which
inflicted the hole does not appear to have damaged the contents.

I also noticed that the small circular seal for the box containing my
Pioneer A06 had been broken. The contents appear to be in order but there is
no way I can realistically tell whether the drive has been used or not.
Prepared to give the benefit of a doubt here.

On the bright side the used retail boxed NEC 1100 DRV+R/RW blowout special I
ordered is actually an unboxed NEC ND-1300A which from all indications is a
4X dual format player. It looks unused too, though of course there is no
practical way of telling. If it is unused it just goes to show that things
balance themselves out

So despite the initial delay, Citylink and the teensy question mark over the
A06 it looks like I've done pretty well Seems like good things come to
those who wait

I'd certainly give Ebuyer another go after the Silly season madness has died
down.

Old December 27th 03, 06:27 PM
Tony Bryer

In article , Nick wrote:
It's the CC Companies money until I receive/pay my CC
statement (if I keep a nil balance or use a 0% offer)?

No, the CC company pays the retailer shortly after he processes
the transaction; in my case I have opted for weekly settlement
so we get the money in our bank account on the Thursday
following the week of the transaction. We could have chosen more
frequent settlement but of course each credit is chargeable on a
business account. Even if you settle in full, if you buy
something for £100, the CC company pays the retailer £96-98 and
collects £100 off you four or so weeks later, which is a nice
little return.