About to buy a monitor online, need advice.

Old August 24th 03, 09:33 PM
Stephen Naicken

Default About to buy a monitor online, need advice.

I'm about to buy the Mitsubishi 230SB 22" monitor online. I have seen
it available at the following sites:

Dell @ £483.59
OCuk @ £492.04
Insight @ £475.81
Ebuyer @ £459.47
(prices inc. Vat)

I'm not bothered about paying a premium so long as the support I
receive is of a good standard, but I have no experience of Dell,
Insight and Ebuyer and only a little of OC two years ago. So, I'd be
grateful for any advice you could give to me about how good (or not as
the case may be) these companies are at handling any problems/returns,
in particular when the item when initially received does not work.

If the monitor doesn't work straight out of the box, do I contact the
retailer or the manufacturer (3 years on-site)?

If it is the retailer and the product does prove to be faulty, can I
reclaim the postage paid to send it back?

Cheers.

Stephen
Old August 24th 03, 09:48 PM
Fat Freddy's Cat

"Stephen Naicken" wrote in message
om...
I'm about to buy the Mitsubishi 230SB 22" monitor online. I have seen
it available at the following sites:

Dell @ £483.59
OCuk @ £492.04
Insight @ £475.81
Ebuyer @ £459.47
(prices inc. Vat)

I've used all of the above except Dell.

All were pretty good dealing with any problems I've had (which is not many
to be honest).

If the monitor arrives DOA, then deal with the supplier directly. They will
refund postage, or usually with a product that size they will arrange to
collect. Its a hassle having to be in but there you go.

If it cocks up any other time, deal with the manufacturer. The longest I've
ever had a customer wait for a new monitor was 1 week. Philips were
particularly good - they were onsite to a customer of mine with a new
monitor within 48 hours.

FWIW, I've *never* had a monitor arrive DOA and I've bought 100's.

g.

Old August 24th 03, 11:05 PM
Mike NG

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 at 13:33:25, Stephen Naicken (Stephen Naicken
) wrote:
[...]

As others have said, your contract to deliver goods fit for purpose is
with the retailer. Pay by credit card (rather then debit/switch) etc if
you can
--
Mike
Old August 25th 03, 09:12 AM
Steve

With monitors, the warranty tends to be dealt with by the manufacturer
rather than the retailer.
So whoever you buy from, you are relying on Mitsubishi's customer service if
you have a problem. So go with the cheapest supplier (as long as it is in
stock), and check up on Mitsubishi before you buy.

Old August 28th 03, 01:08 AM
dorothy.bradbury

You've not said how critical the display needs to be.

If for pre-press or similar where the display must be *perfect* it can be
better
to go to a supplier which can hand-pick. CRTs do vary a *little* from each
other,
some have fractionally sharper focusing, and such like re normal +/- 2
tolerance.
Apart from fashion mag pre-press manipulators this isn't a likely
requirement.

Otherwise, pick as you wish.
All will use a proper courier - the items are too heavy for anything else.

However I would watch the handling of the monitor at delivery, Staples just
dropped off "Really Useful Box"polypropylene crates with them all shattered.
I've also seen SGI drop one of their monitors on delivery, potentially with
tube & alignment it could have an impact on absolute display quality. So it
would be advisable to ensure someone is in to sign/receive the item.

If quality is important:
o Use a decent lead to the monitor
o Preferably one with R-G-B etc broken out to BNC connectors

There can be a visual difference, since this is an analog transmission line:
o Reflections can occur at the card-to-cable, and the cable-to-monitor end.
o Cable quality can affect the quality of the image at high bandwidth
---- and 22" is most likely going to be driving at high bandwidth

The freebie leads aren't often great, getting good ones can be worth it.
(Comparing the usual 15-pin with the separate R-G-B can be visually
surprising).

I assume all offer on-site maintenance for the monitor or collect & return?
Reason being that packaging & shipping a 22" monitor isn't fun, they are
very heavy, very large, and not every carrier will carry glass/monitors.

Used an Idek Iiyama Diamondtron CRT for a time, Mitsubishi tube and very
good picture quality - only my laptop TFT is comparable but not on colour
etc and many current TFTs were put to shame in comparison to its quality.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy...ry/panaflo.htm (Direct)