My AP400 550 Mhz has started reporting 1792 "Secondary IDE controller fault". Help please!

Old November 13th 04, 11:13 PM
tonygibbs16

Default My AP400 550 Mhz has started reporting 1792 "Secondary IDE controller fault". Help please!

Dear all,

I hope that you can help me. I have been trying to add a secondary HDD
to the secondary IDE bus which had the CD-ROM drive on it.

It has now started reporting this 1792 error, and I wonder if I might
have plugged the data cable in backwards once or twice, because it is
not polarised.

It now reports this error even without any drives plugged into the
secondary IDE bus.

Can I do anything yo fix this? Have I blown the Motherboard?

Please let me know what you think and if you can help at all.
Regards,
Tony Gibbs

Old November 14th 04, 02:42 AM
Ben Myers

Tony,

Try resetting the CMOS, either via jumper or removal of system battery.

.... Ben Myers

Old November 20th 04, 12:43 PM
tonygibbs16

Ben,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. When I put the cables all
back to normal and reset the CMOS then it worked.

I was a bit confused about how to do the CMOS reset on the AP400, but I
did some more searching in other posts and found that you do it with
jumper J5.

Jumper J5 is positioned just behind the Secondary IDE connector on the
AP400 motherboard, and you have to take the expansion bridge out to get
to it.
- According to George Woolfork's post on the HP business support
forum on 2nd April 2003, you need to unplug the mains power and clear
the CMOS by moving the jumper from bridging pins 6 & 7 to bridging pins
5 & 6 and leave it there for at least 60 seconds.

Then you move it back, and then when the PC powers up it sees that the
CMOS is invalid and tests the hardware configuration.
- It then offers you an on-screen option by pressing F1 to
set the CMOS values to the ones it had detected.

I did this and it all came up perfectly.

I did have a bit of a scare when the video stopped working and I was
getting a beep error of 1 Long beep and 2 Short ones, meaning the video
card was not working.
- I had not touched the card so was confused.
- What had happened was that removing and re-installing the
AP400 expansion bridge had pushed the back metal work of the computer
back, which had pulled the video card out of the AGP socket.
- Disconnecting the mains power and resetting the card
fixed it, thank God.

Now I just need an IDE data cable with more than 9 inch spacing between
the primary and secondary connectors, and then I can install a
secondary drive on the primary IDE bus.
- The ones I have found so far are just too short on this spacing.
Regards,
Tony Gibbs.

Old November 20th 04, 02:44 PM
Ben Myers

The documented CMOS reset procedure is typical of most computers.

There are IDE cables with spacing greater than 9 inches. The IDE standard calls
for a total cable length no longer than 18", but I've seen longer cables with
work perfectly well. Keep looking. You should find one inexpensively.

.... Ben Myers