ASUS T2-P & Windows XP SP2

Old August 21st 04, 03:11 PM

Default ASUS T2-P & Windows XP SP2

Hi,

Has anyone had success installing XP SP2 onto an ASUS T2-P? I have tried
installing the service pack
three times with no joy. It finished the service pack install ok, but never
re-boots afterwards. It just
stops during the IPL, and safe mode, last known config etc don't work
either. I even scratch installed
XP, and installed the service pack, but got the same results. I have
installed SP2 onto 4 other boxes,
all of which went without a hitch, but the ASUS T2-P doesn't like it. It
runs, and has done for months,
with service pack 1 and all the updates with no trouble at all, but service
pack 2 kills it. I have bios
1007, just in case that is of importance.

Anyone successfully managed to put SP2 onto one of these?

Old August 21st 04, 05:26 PM
Stephan Grossklass

n schrieb:

Hi,

Has anyone had success installing XP SP2 onto an ASUS T2-P? I have tried
installing the service pack
three times with no joy. It finished the service pack install ok, but never
re-boots afterwards. It just
stops during the IPL, and safe mode, last known config etc don't work
either. I even scratch installed
XP, and installed the service pack, but got the same results. I have
installed SP2 onto 4 other boxes,
all of which went without a hitch, but the ASUS T2-P doesn't like it. It
runs, and has done for months,
with service pack 1 and all the updates with no trouble at all, but service
pack 2 kills it. I have bios
1007, just in case that is of importance.

I assume you mean the good old T2P4 and BIOS 0207? It could be that SP2
requires SSE support. Have you tried a fresh XP install, followed by
direct installation of SP2?

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
Old August 22nd 04, 06:35 AM

"Stephan Grossklass" wrote in message
n schrieb:

[...]

No, it's the shiney new T2-P
http://uk.asus.com/products/desktop/t2-p-d/overview.htm
Yes, I did try a format and a fresh install of XP followed by SP2 and get
the same results.
When broken, and booting in safe mode, the line it appears to stop on is...
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System 32\drivers\btkrnl.sys

Old August 22nd 04, 11:51 AM
Paul

n schrieb:

[...]

I used btkrnl.sys in Google and got this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...0a% 40phx.gbl

The poster in that case, used Safe Mode (Disk Logging) as his workaround.

Another post says:

"btkrnl.sys which is a Bluetooth Protocol Driver for Windows 2000..."

Who would've guessed that... I was thinking British Telecom.
Does your system have Bluetooth ?

Paul
Old August 22nd 04, 05:33 PM

"Paul" wrote in message

n schrieb:

[...]

Hi Paul,
My system does have USB bluetooth, very interesting. However, having messed
around with this
machine for hours this morning, I am loosing the will to upgrade it. Norton
Ghost is worth every
penny it costs..... On formatting and installing base XP, with just the
motherboard devices
configured, and no external devices, it stops after installing SP2 on the
boot at
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System 32\drivers\mup.sys
I tried the Microsoft procedure for backing off the service pack and trying
to boot and view
the log files, but guess what, it won't boot up!
There is something wierd about the Asus T2-P. Has anyone managed to SP2 a
T2-P??

Old August 22nd 04, 08:16 PM

"n" wrote in message
.uk...

"Paul" wrote in message

n schrieb:

[...]

Looks like something weird to do with Prescott CPU and Intel chipset
combination.
Found this, and it seems to sum the situation up perfectly.
http://www.mcse.ms/message962236.html

Old August 24th 04, 12:26 AM
Cari

"n" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

Has anyone had success installing XP SP2 onto an ASUS T2-P? I have tried
installing the service pack
three times with no joy. It finished the service pack install ok, but
never
re-boots afterwards. It just
stops during the IPL, and safe mode, last known config etc don't work
either. I even scratch installed
XP, and installed the service pack, but got the same results. I have
installed SP2 onto 4 other boxes,
all of which went without a hitch, but the ASUS T2-P doesn't like it. It
runs, and has done for months,
with service pack 1 and all the updates with no trouble at all, but
service
pack 2 kills it. I have bios
1007, just in case that is of importance.

Anyone successfully managed to put SP2 onto one of these?

See:
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
www.coribright.com

Old August 25th 04, 10:55 AM
Paul

In article .net, "Cari"
wrote:

"n" wrote in message
[...]

BIOS 1007 has microcode for 0F0A, 0F12, 0F13, 0F24, 0F25, 0F27, 0F29
(04/06/2003) and 0F29 (18/07/2003). I think a Prescott would be
0F33, so the conditions for that theory hold, and the motherboard
in question probably doesn't completely support Prescott. (I
cannot find the motherboard or T2-P on the cpusupport web page,
and that is why I had to extract the BIOS file.)

If the board had an Award BIOS, you might be able to install your
own microcode using CTMC (i.e. without having to completely flash
a new BIOS - the procedure just installs a 2KB microcode file and
won't corrupt the BIOS because the microcode segment is transient).
I don't know if the same hook is in the AMI BIOS, such that CTMC
could work or not.

http://www.tipperlinne.com/bios6b4.htm

The AMIBCP75 program can be used to manipulate the AMI BIOS - that
is what I used to extra the microcode segment above. But, both
CBROM and AMIBCP tend to hiccup with Asus BIOS, as Asus has messed
with the format a bit, and I haven't had any success in editing
BIOS files yet (others have). If going this route (editing a BIOS
and flashing the whole thing), a BIOS Savior with duplicate flash
chip is a must. That assumes there is a model of BIOS Savior that
fits in a T2-P.

It might be better to phone Asus tech support and find out if
there is any plan to put microcode for the Prescott in that
BIOS. Explain how SP2 won't work without it :-)

Paul
Old August 25th 04, 01:33 PM

"Paul" wrote in message
In article .net, "Cari"
wrote:

"n" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info. It sounds a bit out of my league, so I will wait for
the next
bios release from Asus. This box is flogged as supporting Prescott's, so
they
are sure to issue a bios update to fix it - otherwise they can have the
bloody thing back!