Overclocked 2500 Barton to 3200 using my old Crucial 2100 DDR

Old January 15th 04, 08:12 AM

Default Overclocked 2500 Barton to 3200 using my old Crucial 2100 DDR

Im amazed. I dont feel like doing extensive tests on it but I dont
have any obvious problems.

I got my Barton 2500 today and my Kingston 3200 DDR which I havent
tested yet but I expect it be OK since Im using a KByte 3200 DDR stick
512 megs with no problems.

Using a ASUS a7n8x deluxe 12.5 x 200.

No problems at all booting up etc. Ive been using it for an hour or so
and the temps are about the same as before 100-114 F with light use.

This is the retail 2500 using the retail heatsink and fan and the
thermal pad on it instead of the Arctic Silver I usually use. The
reason I used it was because the clip is really difficult to put on
and the pad acts as kind of a cushion so I thought it might be safer -
avoid accidental chipping.

Right when Ive gotten used to the heatsinks I see this weird clip -
its really short so its hard to get it down enough to engage the clips
and there are 3 holes instead of the usual one per side - all around
its much more difficult to clip it on.

One thing I noticed about the retail heatsink which seems to work well
- its nearly as large as my other Volcano 6u but lighter. The fins are
thinner. Its all aluminum and not one piece. The bottom part is bolted
on. My volcano thermaltake 6u looks like its of higher quality
construction - with copper core , heavier and stronger fan. And the 6u
is a relatively old design. The newer volcano I bought for a relative
was a monster and makes the 6u look small.

The retail fan/htsink besides being lighter and a bit smaller also has
a lower rpm fan 3600 or so - shallow and slightly bigger I think than
the usual 60mm. Seems adequate and works well but seems cheaper.
However its way way quieter than all the fan/htsink combos Ive been
using for the last few years. I couldnt tell if it was on at first
since Im used to an obvious mechanical WHIRRRRREEEEEE sound from the
fan.

The old crucial I bought a year ago is amazing though. 2100 DDR and it
seems to working OK as 3200 DDR with the caveat I havent done any
extensive tests with or hard use. Its pretty much like the reviews at
Newegg. I bought the Crucial at Newegg. The consumers there claim they
easily pushed it up to 333 and 400. I was a bit sketpical and didnt
even expect it to boot but it works at least as far as my casual test
goes.

So OCing to 3200 with the 2500 AMD XP Barton is a breeze like most
people say. And since the Crucial 2100 seems to be OK at 400 I expect
my Kingston stick DDR 3200 to work too with the KBYTE 3200 Im using
now with the Crucial.

Old January 17th 04, 12:29 AM
~misfit~

[...]

I have been told that the bottom piece is actually chrome or nickel plated
copper. I bought three Bartons over a period of a month, the first had a
(bare) copper plate screwed to the bottom, the other two had a silver
coloured plate. I didn't examine them closely but was later told AMD had
gone to plated copper so it doesn't oxidise in storage and the oxidation act
as insulation or lose the bond with the thermal pad.
--
~misfit~

Old January 17th 04, 01:15 PM

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:29:54 +1300, "~misfit~"
wrote:

I have been told that the bottom piece is actually chrome or nickel plated
copper. I bought three Bartons over a period of a month, the first had a
(bare) copper plate screwed to the bottom, the other two had a silver
coloured plate.

You are probably right. It did look like it was plated. They work well
though I was concerned that it seemed to weigh a fair amount less than
the other heatsinks I had. I dont even know if thats a factor. Are
thinner fins as relevant? Are they better ? The others have thicker
fins.

Even using the thermal pad and the low rpm slightly bigger fan on it
Im consistently in the 100-114 range even when I was encoding a video
with TMPGEnc and compressing a file with WIN RAR at the sametime and
doing other file things.

Old January 18th 04, 09:53 AM
CBFalconer

~misfit~ wrote:

.... snip ...

I don't know farenheit, what's that in Celcius?

F = 9/5 * C + 32
C = (F - 32) * 5/9

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old January 18th 04, 10:01 AM
~misfit~

CBFalconer wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:

... snip ...

I don't know farenheit, what's that in Celcius?

F = 9/5 * C + 32
C = (F - 32) * 5/9

Ta. I just find it easier to work in °C.
--
~misfit~