keep XP updated until 2019

Old June 2nd 14, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows-xp,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mayayana

Default keep XP updated until 2019

| ... but security patches? No one should be using IE8 anyway, so
| patches there are irrelevant.
|
| Why should no one be using IE8?
|
| IE8 is currently just as vulnerable to exploits as IE9, 10 or 11 if you
| apply POS2009 IE updates to your XP system.

You're using IE8 online and justifying it based the using
the XPE hack? I could see that, maybe, if there's a particular
website that requires IE, but otherwise I can't see the sense
of it.

* Windows integration:

IE has not been suitable for online use since IE4, when they
baked it into Windows. It's too deeply tied in to be safe for
use online. It was designed to be that way, at a time when
browser functionality was important and no one thought about
security. ActiveX controls were a brilliant invention that helped
defeat Netscape. IE was great for making highly functional
webpage software for use on corporate intranets. It still is
great for that, which is a big part of why it's not safe online.

* Security settings:

While Firefox security settings have been getting harder to
control, IE is an astonishing mess, with thousands of settings,
many of them virtually secret, and many of which can secretly
override the security settings you choose, should you be brave
enough to try to adjust IE security in the first place. Most people
never would. Again, that's by design. It's another expression
of the fact that IE is made for corporate intranet use, to be
controlled by corporate IT people. *Microsoft never intended
for the end-user to have control over the browser.*

* Obsolete:

IE as a browser is obsolete. Since the latest version is
only supported in Win7/8 it's essentially become reduced
to being a niche browser. Even if you get patches for IE8,
it only supports web standards from sometime before 2010.
Why would anyone choose to keep using a discontinued
browser that can no longer keep up?

Old June 2nd 14, 03:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows-xp,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
XP Guy[_2_]

Mayayana wrote:

| IE8 is currently just as vulnerable to exploits as IE9, 10 or
| 11 if you apply POS2009 IE updates to your XP system.

You're using IE8 online and justifying it based the using
the XPE hack?

There's no "justification" involved.

MS is patching IE8 just as well and just as completely as IE9, 10 and
11.

But in order to get those IE8 patches on an system running XP, you need
to perform the POS2009 registry hack.

If you want to make a blanket statement that nobody should be running IE
(even if they have Windoze 7 or 8, even if they are running IE9, 10 or
11) then fine, you can do that. But I don't see where you have a reason
to single out IE8 specifically.

* Windows integration:

IE has not been suitable for online use since IE4, when they
baked it into Windows. It's too deeply tied in to be safe for
use online.

Hey, I agree that integrating IE with Windoze was done purely for
anticompetitive reasons by Macro$haft, with OS stability and security
issues taking a back seat. But it's my understanding that using other
browsers doesn't fully take you off the hook in terms of your system
still being vulnerable at some deeper level because of the underlying IE
infrastructure of Windoze.

Keeping XP updated (including the IE8 components) by using the POS2009
registry trick can only make XP systems more secure in the future vs not
doing it.
Old June 2nd 14, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows-xp,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ken Blake, MVP[_2_]

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 18:52:37 -0400, wrote:

Why do almost all AV programs have names that begin with "AV". It's
confusing.....

AVAST
AVG
AVIRA

Almost all? Not even close!

There are only three, as far as I know, and they are the three you've
named. Go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...virus_software and you
will see that there are at least 54 others whose names do *not* begin
with "AV," which obviously stands for "Antivirus."

Old June 2nd 14, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows-xp,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mayayana

| If you want to make a blanket statement that nobody should be running IE
| (even if they have Windoze 7 or 8, even if they are running IE9, 10 or
| 11) then fine, you can do that. But I don't see where you have a reason
| to single out IE8 specifically.

I'm not singling out IE8. I wouldn't use any of them online.
But this is an XP group. IE8 is the latest version that can
be installed on XP. In addition to all the general IE problems
I listed, IE8 rendering is 5+ years behind the times and will
never be updated. In that sense it's even worse than IE9+.
Since you don't need to use IE8 it's hard to see why you
would. But it's up to you. Good luck.

Old June 3rd 14, 01:16 PM posted to alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
XP Guy[_2_]

Zo wrote:

Hey Guy,
just curious - what is the difference between your recommended fix
and the one suggested in this article from betanews?

http://betanews.com/2014/05/26/how-t...xp-until-2019/

or Tiny URL= http://tinyurl.com/kxqk2th

The difference is that the betanews article only gives this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

as the olny key to add to your XP system so that it will download
POSReady 2009 updates. Adding that key, and setting it's value to 1, is
necessary for this method to work.

The method I posted includes that key, as well as these additional keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]
"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]
"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]
"Installed"=dword:00000000

The addition of those 3 keys has been found to suppress "Key Not Found"
errors in the Windows Update log files during update sessions.

There is some discussion of the possibly that having the WEPOS or WES
keys set to 1 might also work by itself.
Old June 3rd 14, 02:57 PM posted to alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Zo

XP Guy formulated on Tuesday :
Zo wrote:

[...]

Really appreciate the reply, Thank you very much.

--
Zo

Isn't it a bit unverving that doctors call what they do, PRACTICE.