File Explorer "The action can't be completed because the folder/file is open in another program"

Old December 27th 13, 08:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe

Default File Explorer "The action can't be completed because the folder/file is open in another program"

WHICH PROGRAM?!
Old December 28th 13, 04:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
(PeteCresswell)

Per John Doe:
WHICH PROGRAM?!

Don't you just *love* it when Windows throws a notification like that?
"Something's wrong, we probably know exactly what... but we're going to
let you figure it out..."
--
Pete Cresswell
Old December 28th 13, 04:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per John Doe:
WHICH PROGRAM?!

Don't you just *love* it when Windows throws a notification like that?
"Something's wrong, we probably know exactly what... but we're going to
let you figure it out..."

That's a tradition in computing.

In Windows, a third-party program like Sysinternals
Handle or Sysinternals Process Explorer, may help you figure it out.
But the issue is far from "user friendly".

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653

Unix had the same tradition. Some of the programs listed
here, were some of the first things I added to my Unix
box at work. Because it sported the same annoying issue.
The worst on boxes like that, was when the CD tray wouldn't
open, because the CD would not dismount, and all because
some "file was open".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lsof

Somewhere in my travels, I've seen an OS that *did* list
open handles on a file, without teasing you. But I can't
remember exactly where I saw that now.

Paul
Old December 29th 13, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Bucky \Wurk Arownd\ Breeder

(PeteCresswell) posted this via
:

Per John Doe:
WHICH PROGRAM?!

Don't you just *love* it when Windows throws a notification like that?
"Something's wrong, we probably know exactly what... but we're going to
let you figure it out..."

You're right of course. Like in task manager, you should be able to hover
over the process and get a path balloon... same with PID, you should be
able to hover over that and identify the dependenc[y][ies] because if the
system can display the end of the string, it certainly had to obtain that
from the path - and it'd be a small matter of a tiny piece of code to
acomplish the complete picture. Apparently the millionaires who design
these operating systems don't bother to use them... At some level they
even insulate themselves from any meaningful feedback for sure.

Sometimes you just have a picture or text file still open in the folder...

Sometimes a 3rd party process kept a handle open even though you've closed
it...

2 freewares that I ocassionally use are "Unlocker" and/or "LockHunter".

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

http://lockhunter.com/

It's just easier than trying to change Microsoft's mind[s].

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
and my only New Year Resolution is:

to totally focus on my inner "AWESOMENESS!"
(Because I'm not entirely comfortable with
the words "Hero;" "Genius;" and "Legendary.")

http://tinyurl.com/7fude4d
Old December 29th 13, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
(PeteCresswell)

Per Bucky "Wurk Arownd" Breeder:
You're right of course. Like in task manager, you should be able to hover
over the process and get a path balloon... same with PID, you should be
able to hover over that and identify the dependenc[y][ies] because if the
system can display the end of the string, it certainly had to obtain that
from the path - and it'd be a small matter of a tiny piece of code to
acomplish the complete picture. Apparently the millionaires who design
these operating systems don't bother to use them... At some level they
even insulate themselves from any meaningful feedback for sure.

Yet they spend all that effort moving the furniture around with each new
release...... -)
--
Pete Cresswell
Old December 31st 13, 06:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Saturday, December 28, 2013 4:45:40 AM UTC+8, John Doe wrote:
WHICH PROGRAM?!

Open Task Manager and find out. You expect the OS do to everything for you?

Stupid DOH! John Doe.

RL
Old December 31st 13, 03:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

A Google Groups troll on a subject that's way over its head...

--

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 22:05:08 -0800 (PST)