OTish: what's going on with my time!!!

Old April 6th 04, 02:52 PM
Scotoma

Default OTish: what's going on with my time!!!

Hi all

This is doing my nut in! My clock has started to go slow. 1hr 12mins
yesterday and now today it is 4:26AM when it should be 2:41PM GMT. The date
is correct.
The BIOS displays the same wrong time but as you will see, my posts are
displayed with the correct time.
I set the correct time online yesterday but a few times I got it set it
reported "The time sample was rejected because: The peer's stratum is less
than the hosts stratum" error on the time.windows.com server and the
time.nist.gv server. I have also downloaded and applied the atomic clock
sync proggy.

I have just LAN my XP system up to a win98se system. The XP machine is the
internet gateway. The time and date on the win98se system is correct.

Is it the battery? The mobo is about 18months old and I've reset the cmos
with the jumpers 3 times.

Is it this LAN I have set up that is causing the time failure?

Scotoma

Old April 6th 04, 02:56 PM
Scotoma

"Scotoma" wrote in message
[...]

The time for my OP is correct but my clock is at 4:40?
Whats going on? lol. Thanks if you can.

Scotoma

Old April 6th 04, 04:21 PM
JAD

if the bios shows the wrong time then I would say its the battery,
however your posts time correct and system clock being incorrect is
kind of weird unless your news server corrects time?...That would be
unusual. Do you have the time zone selected correctly, did it change?
There was a virus a long while back that did malisious things to the
clock...but that was sometime ago. I have heard of some software that
can cause some clock anomalies, (macromedia coldfusion comes to mind).

Old April 6th 04, 04:39 PM
Scotoma

"JAD" wrote in message
ink.net...
if the bios shows the wrong time then I would say its the battery,
however your posts time correct and system clock being incorrect is
kind of weird unless your news server corrects time?...That would be
unusual. Do you have the time zone selected correctly, did it change?
There was a virus a long while back that did malisious things to the
clock...but that was sometime ago. I have heard of some software that
can cause some clock anomalies, (macromedia coldfusion comes to mind).

Hi JAD
Thanks for your reply. :-)
I posted a test post in my isp news test server. The time on the post was
wrong, the same as my clock. I think my isp news server may correct time.
I'll ask.
My bios displays 2.92v for the battery. I'm not sure so i'll have to dig
about for nominal battery voltage for my chaintech apogee mobo.

Scotoma

Old April 6th 04, 07:34 PM
sooky grumper

Scotoma wrote:
"JAD" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Check the time in the BIOS.

Scotoma

Old April 6th 04, 09:56 PM
Scotoma

"sooky grumper" wrote in message
Scotoma wrote:
"JAD" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Hi sooky grumper

The time in the bios is wrong and when the computer has been off for more
than 1 hour the clock goes slow. I'm thinking it's my cmos battery. The mobo
is only 18 months old though. I'll repalce it anyway and see what happens.

Thanks

Scotoma

Old April 7th 04, 09:06 AM
sooky grumper

Scotoma wrote:
"sooky grumper" wrote in message

Scotoma wrote:

"JAD" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

You're probably right.

The mobo
is only 18 months old though. I'll repalce it anyway and see what happens.

Good idea. Be careful, some of the battery retainer clips break easilly.

Thanks

Scotoma

Old April 7th 04, 07:08 PM
Scotoma

Scotoma wrote:
"sooky grumper" wrote in message

Scotoma wrote:

"JAD" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

Hi

Aye, the battery clip is a stupid design on my mobo. I can see how a few
attemps at bending the retaining contact back and forth could cause it to
snap. Not designed to be used a lot etc.
Anyways.
The new battery is in, the bios has been setup again and saved to the cmos.
Went online to set the time and powered down and left the system off for
1.5hrs.
Woooooooooopeeeeeeeeee! lol. It's keeping time. The old battery might have
been from old stock or became damaged when I tried a new PSU recently. Who
knows, who cares.
It works.

Thanks all for your input. :-))

Scotoma

FBI SADISTS should be HUNTED, KIDNAPPED and TORTURED for 3 YRS Keith General 2 November 23rd 04 07:32 AM
Maximum System Bus Speed David Maynard Overclocking 41 April 14th 04 10:47 PM
Old PC Occasionally Won't Start, Doesn't Power Down all the time mr x General 6 February 26th 04 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking 333 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 07:54 PM