bad drive symptoms?

Old October 14th 07, 11:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default bad drive symptoms?

I have an IBM deskstar GXP75 - supposed to be one of the bad ones, but
it's worked fine for me for 7 years on my dvr computer.

I've recently had all sorts of weirdness on this machine. Video
drivers not there on one boot, then there the next. USB network
adapter not recognized on reboot, then I move it to another slot, and
it works till the next reboot, when I have to move it again.

Windows disk scan says no errors, no bad sectors. But I don't know
what else it could be.

Could this be caused by bad sectors in the C: partition? Or is it
more likely to be a motherboard on the way out? I have an up-to-date
virus scanner which reveals no problems.

Old October 15th 07, 02:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

wrote

I have an IBM deskstar GXP75 - supposed to be one of the bad
ones, but it's worked fine for me for 7 years on my dvr computer.

Its only that indian drive manufacturer that actually managed
to produce a line of drives where every single copy failed.

I've recently had all sorts of weirdness on this machine. Video
drivers not there on one boot, then there the next. USB network
adapter not recognized on reboot, then I move it to another slot,
and it works till the next reboot, when I have to move it again.

Windows disk scan says no errors, no bad sectors.
But I don't know what else it could be.

Could be bad caps on the motherboard.

Could this be caused by bad sectors in the C: partition?

Nope, those wont produce that particular set of symptoms.

Or is it more likely to be a motherboard on the way out?

Yep.

I have an up-to-date virus scanner which reveals no problems.

And that wont normally produce that particular set of symptoms either.

Check the motherboard for bad caps. These are the usually blue or black
plastic covered post like things sticking up vertically from the motherboard
surface. The tops should be flat. If any have bulged or have leaked, thats
a bad cap and is almost certainly the cause of your problems.

Symptoms of clogging? Mike38 Printers 9 December 1st 06 12:05 PM
What do these symptoms suggest? Michael Hawes Homebuilt PC's 0 June 6th 06 11:39 PM
What are the symptoms of a weak PSU? Dan B Homebuilt PC's 5 January 12th 05 11:40 PM
More symptoms looking for a solution - help fear General Hardware 0 May 8th 04 05:03 AM
P4PE Overheated CPU Symptoms Aegyssus Daciccus Asus Motherboards 7 January 27th 04 07:58 PM