Lost Onboard Sound

Old July 13th 03, 07:44 PM
Ed_

Default Lost Onboard Sound

I'm trying to help a friend troubleshoot a problem with her computer.
Unfortunately, she is 700 miles away so I'm trying to work with her via email.

After returning home following a power outage she noticed her computer was shut
down. When she booted everything seemed to be functioning ok except her onboard
sound. She has checked all of her connections to her speakers and ports and has
attempted to restore the volume icon in her taskbar from the control panel but
she get's this message:
"Windows cannot execute SndVol32.exe, use Add/Remove Programs control panel to
install." She says that there is nothing in add/remove prog. that appears to be
related to onboard sound. I find this hard to believe but I don't know.

She has tried these repairs:
Uninstalled the onboard sound from device manager. Windoz found and
reinstalled...no joy.

Ran SFC to check for missing or corrupted system files. It ran and completed
but again, no joy.

From the info on Belarc the best I can determine is that this is her board,
which uses Via AC97 Onboard audio.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/p133a.jsp

I'm also thinking that she should download and install this driver package...

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=69

This would be tough enough, for a fool such as I, if this computer was sitting
on my bench but trying to do this online is driving me nuts. I would really
appreciate any input or advice anyone could give.

TIA,

Ed

Old July 13th 03, 08:00 PM
Ed_

In article , Ed_ says...

[...]

From the info on Belarc the best I can determine is that this is her board,
which uses Via AC97 Onboard audio.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/p133a.jsp

I'm also thinking that she should download and install this driver package...

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=69

This would be tough enough, for a fool such as I, if this computer was sitting
on my bench but trying to do this online is driving me nuts. I would really
appreciate any input or advice anyone could give.

TIA,

Ed

Some additional info from Belarc:

Operating System

System Model

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600)

VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C694X

Processor a

Main Circuit Board b

933 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: 694X-686A
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 07/21/2000
Multimedia VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)

Ed

Old July 13th 03, 08:48 PM
Pen

There is an item in control panel called "sounds and audio devices".
If selected there are 2 items to check;
under Audio check sound playback
under Volume check advanced.
She should make sure nothing is turned down or muted etc.

"Ed_" wrote in message
In article , Ed_ says...

[...]

From the info on Belarc the best I can determine is that this is

her board,

Old July 14th 03, 02:55 PM
jaster

"Ed_" wrote in message
In article , Ed_ says...

[...]

From the info on Belarc the best I can determine is that this is her

board,
[...]

Sounds like there's a m/b program to drive the sound. Try
removing/reinstalling the soundcard drivers under windows safe mode. She
needs to delete the sound device from the system - hardware and reload the
drivers from the m/b CD. Also make sure her speakers are on and the sound
is not muted.