Did i crush my 7950 Gt GPU core !!!!!

Old November 14th 06, 03:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul Mathews

Default Did i crush my 7950 Gt GPU core !!!!!

Did i crush my 7950 Gt GPU core !!!!!

Mobo is Gigabyte 965p DS3.

I'am just haveing much rouble with it now after i replaced the stock
cooler with a NV Silencer 5 Rev 3. It does not state its compatible
with it but i wanted something for my HTPC that would blow the aout
the back and i read that someone put one on without problem.

The problem is now the PC boots everytime i wake up without a problem
and maybe 2 times in a row if i restart, but after that its prettry
random and mostly doe snot work.

It boots up like a matrix thing with curruption in rows comign down
the screen onthe bios boot up screen and the windows boot screen and
when i get into windows the icons on the taskbar are currpted.

If i try to run a game or anything the whole pc juts crashes and i get
a blue screen and the BSOD is currpted so you can't read it.

But if it boots without the currption everything is sweet, I can run
my e6400 @ 3.3ghz fine and run Prime95 for 9 hours on both cores with
no errorss

I was thinkingif this would be a NTFS problem, but i'am not sure when
NTFS kicks in. I hope this is the problem as a Fat32 reinstall is all
thats needed.

Thanks.
Old November 14th 06, 05:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bhagat Gurtu

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:27:16 +1100, Paul Mathews wrote:

Did i crush my 7950 Gt GPU core !!!!!

Did you walk on it?

Mobo is Gigabyte 965p DS3.

I was thinkingif this would be a NTFS problem, but i'am not sure when
NTFS kicks in. I hope this is the problem as a Fat32 reinstall is all
thats needed.

You have hurt the GPU mechanistically like bent pin or it is hotting more than
pleasantries for it.

NTFS does not kick in.

Old November 14th 06, 12:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DustWolf

Do try reseating the graphics card first, tho.

(Or actually, cleaning the contacts with a contact clearer and then
thurrally drying it off before reinserting would be what I'd do.)

Old November 14th 06, 01:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul Mathews

Ill give it a clean.

Thanks.

Old November 15th 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mitochondrion

Ahh, you have physically damaged the board/GPU, however the damage
doesn't seem to be that huge (if it's the board that is), go over
that sucker with a magnifier and see if you can see any broken traces
(edges of heatsinks are very sharp u know) Thermal problems could also
be an issue, have you checked actually how much GOOD contact your new
HSF is getting with your GPU? A space of less than a millimeter
between HS and CHIP pretty much puts a downer on thermal conductivity
(Metal better than air)

It is definately the Card because when your apps call Direct3D API's
to interface with the GPU it BSOD's....Which is corrupted as well. My
advice, Get it out of your computer (at least your main one) until you
either fix it or determine it unrepairable, damaged components hold no
guarantees as to voltage levels in and out so you run the risk of
damaging other components on your system bus

Help! Conroe or Kentsfield? Chalky Overclocking 3 June 16th 06 01:35 AM
Laptops, wait for Intel Centrino Core Duo? Kevin K. Fosler Dell Computers 35 February 15th 06 01:48 AM
Centrino Vs P4 toby Intel 22 February 2nd 06 10:28 PM
"Pentium 4" brandname ready to be dropped Yousuf Khan General 69 November 5th 04 12:51 AM
CPU Core Voltage Too Low -> Crash? Edward J. Neth Gateway Computers 27 February 22nd 04 04:38 AM