Sure Would Appreciate Your Opinions of My NEW BUILD!

Old March 3rd 04, 05:10 AM
Carl

Default Sure Would Appreciate Your Opinions of My NEW BUILD!

Hi,

I plan on ordering the following parts in a few days from Newegg. But
before I do, was hoping to get some of your learned opinions of my product
choice. Any suggestions for change?

Thanks in advance.

Aspire X-Superalien Blue Aluminum Server Case w/500W PS Retail

Gigabyte nForce3 AMD Scoket 754 "GA-K8N Pro" Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3200 Retail

Thermaltake SILENT BOOST CPU Cooler All Copper Retail

2x Crucial 512MB DDR PC-3200 OEM (From Crucial)

WD Raptor 74GB HD "WD749GD OEM

ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB DDR Video Card Retail

Plextor Black 8x DVD-RW "PX-708A/SW-BL"Retail

MSI Black 16x DVD-Rom "MS-P8216S-707" OEM

Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS PCI "SB0350" Retail

MS Windows XP Pro Full Version OEM

Thanks again,

Carl

Old March 3rd 04, 06:03 AM
Daniel P

I know that the 74 gig raptor is fast but, personally i like more storage
right now i am about to get two 250 gig WD SATA HDs mybe if you don't want
to go that big a second raptor would be great.

--
Duck Tape Is Alot Like Star Wars. It Has
Both A Dark Side And A Light Side.
link.net...

Old March 3rd 04, 06:28 AM
Daniel P

The thing is i have never tried SATA before. The only hard drives i have
ever put together were ATA and Maxtor.

--
Duck Tape Is Alot Like Star Wars. It Has
Both A Dark Side And A Light Side.
hlink.net...

Old March 3rd 04, 07:10 AM
Minotaur

Sounds great, but would grab a 256M 9800 if I where splashing out that
much on computer gear. It depends really on how long you wish to keep
using the box, into 2005? If just for this year, 128M should be fine,
but if your a hardcore gamer... Not sure about HL2 or Doom4, they might
push it (not that they havn't pushed our patience already, waiting..)

Minotaur (8*

Old March 3rd 04, 09:06 AM
BarryNL

Well, you don't mention what you want it for, but if you are intending
to use it as a door stop I'd suggest buying a house brick instead.

Old March 3rd 04, 09:26 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 04:10:46 +0000, Carl wrote:

I plan on ordering the following parts in a few days from Newegg. But
before I do, was hoping to get some of your learned opinions of my product
choice. Any suggestions for change?

Thanks in advance.

Aspire X-Superalien Blue Aluminum Server Case w/500W PS Retail

500w is probably OK, but I'd get 600w minimum.

Gigabyte nForce3 AMD Scoket 754 "GA-K8N Pro" Retail

nf3-150 chipset sucks. Don't buy this board. No PCI/agp lock like the
NF2 and HT only runs at 3/4 speed.

2x Crucial 512MB DDR PC-3200 OEM (From Crucial)

This isn't fast enough. Get PC4000.

MS Windows XP Pro Full Version OEM

64 bit Linux? No extra charge.:-)

Old March 3rd 04, 11:01 AM
Fitz

I'm running the GA K8NNXP motherboard and AMD64 3200+ processor- I'd do it a
little different if I could (I am going to replace my memory).

The motherboard has a "best performance" option in the BIOS- it provides a
moderate overclock from 2000 MHz to 2080 and steps the memory up to 416MHz.
I'll be replacing the PC3200 Kingston HyperX with Corsair or Mushkin PC3500
as I suspect some instability with the memory (crashing in games, or exiting
back to desktop).

I run 2 36GB SATA Raptors in a RAID 0 config for my operating system and
programs with a separate IDE harddrive partitioned for storage/backup/video
editing and the swap file. Works well, and 72GB is plenty of room for the OS
and programs.

Having a few issues with the ATI Radeon 9800Pro, but I think it may be
memory related. When getting crashed out of games, the error is often the
ATI driver stuck in infinite loop and references relaxing the memory
timings- hence the thoughts of replacing the memory. The 9800 Pro is a good
choice, as the extra money for the XT version doesn't increase the
performance proportionately.
My Aquamark 3 scores are a little over 44000.

I'm using the Plextor 708A and am very pleased with it. Using Nero 6
Ultimate and DVD X-Copy with no problems.

Not a Creative Labs fan- went with a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 with Logitec
Z-680's. Drivers and software interface very straight-forward, stable and
effective.

Good Luck,
Fitz

Old March 3rd 04, 12:12 PM
Roger M

Carl wrote:

Hi,

Hi Carl, after careful consideration it has been determined that you will
need to forward your components to me for assembly and evaluation. I will
promptly return them once they have been thoroughly evaluated (approximately
two years). Thanks for your request.

Product Evaluation Manager

Roger

Old March 3rd 04, 02:50 PM

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:26:55 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 04:10:46 +0000, Carl wrote:

I plan on ordering the following parts in a few days from Newegg. But
before I do, was hoping to get some of your learned opinions of my product
choice. Any suggestions for change?

Thanks in advance.

Aspire X-Superalien Blue Aluminum Server Case w/500W PS Retail

500w is probably OK, but I'd get 600w minimum.

Gigabyte nForce3 AMD Scoket 754 "GA-K8N Pro" Retail

nf3-150 chipset sucks. Don't buy this board. No PCI/agp lock like the
NF2 and HT only runs at 3/4 speed.

2x Crucial 512MB DDR PC-3200 OEM (From Crucial)

This isn't fast enough. Get PC4000.

MS Windows XP Pro Full Version OEM

64 bit Linux? No extra charge.:-)

Posted in a.b.cd.i.linux - Xandros 2.0 Desktop - 2 cd set
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 06:32:05 -0500

BoroLad